The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

14 months NED due to Yervoy

Forums General Melanoma Community 14 months NED due to Yervoy

Participant

Hi,

Hi,

I have been busy working and not on this board at all over the last few months. My recent oncology checkup (4/25) (PET/CT, labs, clinical exam and discussion) revealed no new melanoma anywhere so I am now 14 months NED! On a separate health note I did have a heart attack 4/2/2012 and was also diagnosed with "takot subo" cardiomyopathy. It is completely reversible. I will start 6 weeks of cardiac rehab on Monday. I was back to work the following week after my heart attack. My oncologist stated it has no connection to my history of melanoma. I am relieved to have no signs of melanoma as my oncologist said he would not be able to treat me so soon after a heart attack. I would need a few months to recover. I was sooooo happy to be NED for sure!

I wish all you fellow melanoma warriors success with your treatments like I have had with my treatment (yervoy). I am considered a complete responder with very few side effects. I have had numerous treatments before the yervoy without long lasting NED status.

On a somber note, I am saddened greatly to learn of our friend Boots passing away from this wretched disease.

From snowy Northern Vermont,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED, diagnosed in September 2006

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Donna , I am glad that you are responding well. I remember way back when you first started Yervoy. You had inflamation around the tumors on your leg. I jumped for joy knowing that your immune system was sending out the "DANGER SIGNAL'.  If you can make it to 36 months with no relapse, you in my opinion will be (CURED). I just passed my 5 year mark as a stage IV survivor. What we have in common is that we both developed the "Danger Signal" needed for our immune system  to jump-start the immune response.

Congrats!!!!!!

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Donna , I am glad that you are responding well. I remember way back when you first started Yervoy. You had inflamation around the tumors on your leg. I jumped for joy knowing that your immune system was sending out the "DANGER SIGNAL'.  If you can make it to 36 months with no relapse, you in my opinion will be (CURED). I just passed my 5 year mark as a stage IV survivor. What we have in common is that we both developed the "Danger Signal" needed for our immune system  to jump-start the immune response.

Congrats!!!!!!

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Congrats!!!!!!

Jimmy b

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Thanks Jimmy B…you give me HOPE!!!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Linny
                  Participant

Hey Donna, you're giving the rest of us hope! Congrats on reaching 14 months!

Linny
                    Participant

Linny
                      Participant

Vermont_Donna
                        Participant

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                          Participant

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

yoopergirl
                            Participant

jimmy b what is the danger signal?? I have had so many side effects to the Yervoy that i can not take my last infusion. I am so happy for Donna…hoping for the same response myself.

jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

What is the danger signal??  

Sectetion of inflammatory Cytokines from Dendritic Cells, Macrophages and other Immune Cells. These cytokines cause inflammation and recruitement  of T-cells to the tumor's microenviroment to eradicate the tumor.

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/2011/10/identifying-and-over-coming-immune.html 

jim Breitfeller
                                Participant

Sectetion of inflammatory Cytokines from Dendritic Cells, Macrophages and other Immune Cells. These cytokines cause inflammation and recruitement  of T-cells to the tumor's microenviroment to eradicate the tumor.

http://melanomamissionary.blogspot.com/2011/10/identifying-and-over-coming-immune.html 

jim Breitfeller
                                  Participant

yoopergirl
                                    Participant

jimmy b what is the danger signal?? I have had so many side effects to the Yervoy that i can not take my last infusion. I am so happy for Donna…hoping for the same response myself.

yoopergirl
                                      Participant

King
                                      Participant

Donna,

This is wonderful news!  Congratulations!  I'm sure this post will give hope to many.  Sorry to hear of your recent cardiac problems but I'm happy to hear that there is no connection to melanoma.  Yeah for you!

Stay Strong

King

Stage IV  7/05  Liver mets

King
                                        Participant

Donna,

This is wonderful news!  Congratulations!  I'm sure this post will give hope to many.  Sorry to hear of your recent cardiac problems but I'm happy to hear that there is no connection to melanoma.  Yeah for you!

Stay Strong

King

NYKaren
                                            Participant
                                              Congratulations, Donna. I’ve been thinking about you and am thrilled for you. So happy too that your heart is ok.
                                              {{:}}
                                              karen
                                              NYKaren
                                              Participant
                                                Congratulations, Donna. I’ve been thinking about you and am thrilled for you. So happy too that your heart is ok.
                                                karen
                                                Snickers60
                                                Participant

YOU GO GIRL………..I'm new AGAIN to the board, (hubby has mets to lungs, liver, spine, etc) after 13 1/2 years NED…from a melly behind his right ear lobe.   

I am jumping for joy with you………oh how wonderful and what a blessing for you and an ENCOURAGEMENT for us !

I pray that you will never see this beast again and that all goes well with your heart.

Nancy (wife of Warrior Wayne)

Wayne reads, but doesn't post….I read and post = right brain, left brain ???   LOL

Snickers60
                                                  Participant

YOU GO GIRL………..I'm new AGAIN to the board, (hubby has mets to lungs, liver, spine, etc) after 13 1/2 years NED…from a melly behind his right ear lobe.   

I am jumping for joy with you………oh how wonderful and what a blessing for you and an ENCOURAGEMENT for us !

I pray that you will never see this beast again and that all goes well with your heart.

Wayne reads, but doesn't post….I read and post = right brain, left brain ???   LOL

Snickers60
                                                    Participant

NYKaren
                                                      Participant
                                                        karen
                                                      King
                                                      Participant

Donna,

Stay Strong

King

gabsound
                                                        Participant
                                                          Donna,

I got a big smile when I saw your post. I’m sorry you are having cardiac issues, but so glad to hear melanoma is nowhere to be found. I ope Jimmy B is right–a cure,

I told my oncologist that I hoed to live long enough to get heart disease. Be careful what you wish for right?

So happy for you,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                          Participant
                                                            Donna,

I got a big smile when I saw your post. I’m sorry you are having cardiac issues, but so glad to hear melanoma is nowhere to be found. I ope Jimmy B is right–a cure,

I told my oncologist that I hoed to live long enough to get heart disease. Be careful what you wish for right?

So happy for you,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                            Participant
                                                              Donna,

So happy for you,

Julie in Las Vegas

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics