The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update – 14 months into GSK BRAF/MEK Trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Update – 14 months into GSK BRAF/MEK Trial

Participant

I'm now more than a year into this trial, and I'm doing very well.  No new tumors observed, all the soft tissue tumors are gone, and the couple of bone mets that are still seen on the CT are not showing any activity on the PET.  The drugs have proven very easy to tolerate.  While I had lots of joint pains and fevers a month or two into the trial, the only issues I now have are mild fatigue and the occasional (every couple of months) high fever.

I'm now more than a year into this trial, and I'm doing very well.  No new tumors observed, all the soft tissue tumors are gone, and the couple of bone mets that are still seen on the CT are not showing any activity on the PET.  The drugs have proven very easy to tolerate.  While I had lots of joint pains and fevers a month or two into the trial, the only issues I now have are mild fatigue and the occasional (every couple of months) high fever.

The initial results from the trial (as reported at ASCO) indicate that this combo of BRAF and MEK inhibitors may be more effective than a single agent (e.g. Zelboraf) and is easier to tolerate, with fewer side effects.  My experience seems to bear this out.  I hope that this treatment indeed proves effective, and that it will benefit many others.  It is becoming somewhat of a hassle to keep up with all the scans and tests and appointments, but I keep reminding myself that besides perhaps saving my own life, I'm also doing my little bit to advance knowledge.

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Congrats Harry, thank you for posting your good news. Gives us all hope.

I understand that there is going to be a Phase 3 for this trial.Do you know anything about that?

How often do you have scans & apptments for this trial??

Continued succcess on these drug.

A.

killmel
          Participant

I understand that there is going to be a Phase 3 for this trial.Do you know anything about that?

A.

killmel
            Participant

A.

Harry in Fair Oaks
                Participant

I don't have details as to when or where on the Phase 3 trial, except that the daily dose will be the same as what I'm getting (300 mg of the BRAF and 2 mg of the MEK).

I have clinic appointments every 4 weeks.  I get scans of chest, abdomen and pelvis every 8 weeks.  MRI of head every 16 weeks.  ECHO cardiogram every 12 weeks.  And derm exams every 8 weeks.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                  Participant

I don't have details as to when or where on the Phase 3 trial, except that the daily dose will be the same as what I'm getting (300 mg of the BRAF and 2 mg of the MEK).

I have clinic appointments every 4 weeks.  I get scans of chest, abdomen and pelvis every 8 weeks.  MRI of head every 16 weeks.  ECHO cardiogram every 12 weeks.  And derm exams every 8 weeks.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                    Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

aldakota22
                    Participant

Way to go Harry.Hopefully this is an answer to Zelboraf staying an affective drug against melanoma.I will keep you in my prayers that you are like the Energizer Bunny.Just keep going and going. Beat the Beast.  Al 

aldakota22
                      Participant

Way to go Harry.Hopefully this is an answer to Zelboraf staying an affective drug against melanoma.I will keep you in my prayers that you are like the Energizer Bunny.Just keep going and going. Beat the Beast.  Al 

aldakota22
                        Participant

Richard_K
                          Participant

Harry

Great to be able to reead this kind of news, keep it up.

Dick

Laurie from maine
                              Participant

Great news – thank you for posting!! 

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                Participant

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                                  Participant

laurie from maine

Richard_K
                                  Participant

Harry

Dick

Richard_K
                                    Participant

Harry

Dick

gabsound
                                      Participant
                                        Harry,

This is indeed great news for you and other BRAF positive patients!!

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                        Participant
                                          Harry,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                          Participant
                                            Harry,

Julie in Las Vegas

Rebecca and Bob
                                            Participant

Harry,

So nice to hear your positive news. We go in soon for my husbands scans and it's people like you that inspire us and give us hope! I hope you keep hearing good news and melanoma leaves you alone permanently.

Congratulations!

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                              Participant

Harry,

So nice to hear your positive news. We go in soon for my husbands scans and it's people like you that inspire us and give us hope! I hope you keep hearing good news and melanoma leaves you alone permanently.

Congratulations!

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                Participant

Harry,

Congratulations!

Rebecca

triciad
                                                  Participant

Harry,

Thanks for posting this encouraging news.  I just found out that I am BRAF positive, so I will keep this information in my back pocket…hopefully for a long time! I wish you continued success on this combo!  Best of luck!

Tricia

triciad
                                                    Participant

Harry,

Thanks for posting this encouraging news.  I just found out that I am BRAF positive, so I will keep this information in my back pocket…hopefully for a long time! I wish you continued success on this combo!  Best of luck!

Tricia

triciad
                                                      Participant

Harry,

Tricia

Tina D
                                                        Participant

This is encouraging news. As someone who is on Zelboraf alone at the  moment, I want to personally thank you for all of the extra effort it requires to be a part of a trial. Because of folks like you, hopefully this new combo will be approved in short arder and available for others who need it. Sooo happy for the good news for you!! Thank you for posting!!

Tina D
                                                          Participant

This is encouraging news. As someone who is on Zelboraf alone at the  moment, I want to personally thank you for all of the extra effort it requires to be a part of a trial. Because of folks like you, hopefully this new combo will be approved in short arder and available for others who need it. Sooo happy for the good news for you!! Thank you for posting!!

Tina D
                                                            Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics