The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zeloraf approval(B-RAF)

Forums General Melanoma Community Zeloraf approval(B-RAF)

• Replies
      Tim–MRF

Kellie:

Good question on the trials.  If you are on a standard clinical trial, it will continue as per the protocol.  If you are receiving the drug as part of the expanded access or compassionate use protocol then things will change.  Those programs will be shut down.

I have spoken with the company extensively on this issue and they have assured me that no-one on the expanded access protocol will have to go without drug.  They will work with the doctors to ensure patients are covered through normal coverage procedures.  All the doctors involved with the expanded access protocol have been informed of this and have been given specific guidance on how to ensure that no patient is taken off the drug.

Regarding future trials, both Zeloraf and other BRAF inhibitors will continue to be studied.  The most promising of these studies are those involving combinations of BRAF with other drugs.  Most researchers agree that long-lasting results will likely come through these combination studies.

Tim–MRF

KellieSue
          Participant

Thanks for responding Tim. That makes me feel better! I'm on a standard clinical trial just using Zelboraf.

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV

KellieSue
            Participant

Thanks for responding Tim. That makes me feel better! I'm on a standard clinical trial just using Zelboraf.

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV

boot2aboot
              Participant

Tim, what would they combo zelboraf with?  i know the GSK braf.mek trial but what else are they doing?

boot2aboot
                Participant

Tim, what would they combo zelboraf with?  i know the GSK braf.mek trial but what else are they doing?

Tim–MRF

Kellie:

Good question on the trials.  If you are on a standard clinical trial, it will continue as per the protocol.  If you are receiving the drug as part of the expanded access or compassionate use protocol then things will change.  Those programs will be shut down.

I have spoken with the company extensively on this issue and they have assured me that no-one on the expanded access protocol will have to go without drug.  They will work with the doctors to ensure patients are covered through normal coverage procedures.  All the doctors involved with the expanded access protocol have been informed of this and have been given specific guidance on how to ensure that no patient is taken off the drug.

Regarding future trials, both Zeloraf and other BRAF inhibitors will continue to be studied.  The most promising of these studies are those involving combinations of BRAF with other drugs.  Most researchers agree that long-lasting results will likely come through these combination studies.

Tim–MRF

Harry in Fair Oaks
                  Participant

Remember that this drug isn't the only BRAF inhibitor in town.  There is also the GlaxoSmithKline version (GSK2118436) which is now in various clinical trials.  I'm on a trial which combines this drug with GSK's MEK inhibitor.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                    Participant

Remember that this drug isn't the only BRAF inhibitor in town.  There is also the GlaxoSmithKline version (GSK2118436) which is now in various clinical trials.  I'm on a trial which combines this drug with GSK's MEK inhibitor.

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics