The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf

Participant

Hello!  My father was diagnosed with melanoma (on top of his head) 12yrs ago.  He had surgery to remove and was told if he made it 5yrs without recurrence he should be "in the clear".  Unfortunately, last month he began having abdominal pain and weakness which resulted in him being hospitalized.  While there a CT was performed which revealed recurrence of the melanoma.  He has mets to an area beside of his kidney, a lesion in his omentum and positive lymph nodes in his chest.   He has malignant melanoma (BRAF V6

Hello!  My father was diagnosed with melanoma (on top of his head) 12yrs ago.  He had surgery to remove and was told if he made it 5yrs without recurrence he should be "in the clear".  Unfortunately, last month he began having abdominal pain and weakness which resulted in him being hospitalized.  While there a CT was performed which revealed recurrence of the melanoma.  He has mets to an area beside of his kidney, a lesion in his omentum and positive lymph nodes in his chest.   He has malignant melanoma (BRAF V600 mutation).  He began the drug Zelboraf today.  I'm very interested in speaking to anyone that may  have information about this medication (side effects, response rate, etc). 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Hi sorry to hear that your father's melanoma is back. My father has been on Zelboraf for 3 months now and he has had fairly mild side effects. The major ones are sore joints which seems to move around the body from day to day. The other is extreme sun sensitivity, he will need 30plus sunscreen on before he leaves the house regardless of the weather. Mild hair thinning and perhaps a little fatigue. I know it's different for every person but I have heard that the highly tumor burden the worse the side effects. Sounds like your dad has a low tumor burden. Please let us know how your dad goes.

All the best and hope this is helpful.

Nahmi from Melbourne

bchgrl
            Participant

Thanks so much for the information!!  All information is greatly appreciated.  I hope your father continues to do well.

Connie from North Carolina

bchgrl
              Participant

Thanks so much for the information!!  All information is greatly appreciated.  I hope your father continues to do well.

bchgrl
                Participant

deardad
                Participant

Hi sorry to hear that your father's melanoma is back. My father has been on Zelboraf for 3 months now and he has had fairly mild side effects. The major ones are sore joints which seems to move around the body from day to day. The other is extreme sun sensitivity, he will need 30plus sunscreen on before he leaves the house regardless of the weather. Mild hair thinning and perhaps a little fatigue. I know it's different for every person but I have heard that the highly tumor burden the worse the side effects. Sounds like your dad has a low tumor burden. Please let us know how your dad goes.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                  Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

jmmm
                    Participant
                      My husband has been on Zalboraf for almost a month. For him it’s a really easy treatment. Lots of fatigue and severe sun sensitivity…long sleeves, big hat, 30 SPF and lip balm anytime he’s outside. Other than that, no troubles. The one tumor we could feel was completely gone within a week of starting treatment…pretty amazing. Not sure how long it will last, but we’re enjoying each day.
                      jmmm
                      Participant
                        My husband has been on Zalboraf for almost a month. For him it’s a really easy treatment. Lots of fatigue and severe sun sensitivity…long sleeves, big hat, 30 SPF and lip balm anytime he’s outside. Other than that, no troubles. The one tumor we could feel was completely gone within a week of starting treatment…pretty amazing. Not sure how long it will last, but we’re enjoying each day.
                          Laurie from maine
                          Participant

hi,

I am going into my fourth month on it.  I had great scan results at 2 months.  50% shrinkage – my tumors were lung, liver and bone.    I go for my next scans after thanksgiving, fingers crossed it is continuing to do its job!!

My side effects have def been sun sensitivity – even here in the fall in Maine I have to cover up during 10-2 or my lips especially blister and have to wear a hat or the part on my hair burns, always have sun screen handy.     I have also had body hair loss, no real eyebrows left so drawing them on (my family  kid that I can make myself look mad, happy or surprised haha) I have just started having hair on my head loss which is too bad.   I also grew lots of warts and several squamous cells(that were removed) on the trunk part of my body that happeed  the first two months.  The growths seemed to have slowed down alot now but initially it was very disturbing.  I do have slight upset stomach sometimes but found small meals are the key.   Fatigue is also a come and go side effect, but I have found making myself get out and walk helps.   All in all the side effects are very liveable – and I am thrilled to be able to breath and have no pain

good luck! keep us posted.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                            Participant

hi,

I am going into my fourth month on it.  I had great scan results at 2 months.  50% shrinkage – my tumors were lung, liver and bone.    I go for my next scans after thanksgiving, fingers crossed it is continuing to do its job!!

My side effects have def been sun sensitivity – even here in the fall in Maine I have to cover up during 10-2 or my lips especially blister and have to wear a hat or the part on my hair burns, always have sun screen handy.     I have also had body hair loss, no real eyebrows left so drawing them on (my family  kid that I can make myself look mad, happy or surprised haha) I have just started having hair on my head loss which is too bad.   I also grew lots of warts and several squamous cells(that were removed) on the trunk part of my body that happeed  the first two months.  The growths seemed to have slowed down alot now but initially it was very disturbing.  I do have slight upset stomach sometimes but found small meals are the key.   Fatigue is also a come and go side effect, but I have found making myself get out and walk helps.   All in all the side effects are very liveable – and I am thrilled to be able to breath and have no pain

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                              Participant

hi,

laurie from maine

bchgrl
                                Participant

Sounds like he has had an amazing response.  That is awesome!  I hope he continues to do well. 

bchgrl
                                  Participant

Sounds like he has had an amazing response.  That is awesome!  I hope he continues to do well. 

bchgrl
                                    Participant

jmmm
                                    Participant
                                      TracyLee
                                      Participant

Hello,

My lungs were filled with "innumerable" nodes and 80% with fluid when I started BRAF/Zelboraf. Within 2 days, I was breathing much better, my neck (egg sized lump protrusion) was visibly diminshing, and so on.

I'm on my third month now. EXTREME sun sensitivity, painful lumps (ereythema nodusums) which flare and resolve in 2-3 days (mainly on my legs/feet, some on my arms). Now developing very painful, but "floating" arthritis.

Definitely hair thinning. No brows, few lashes. BUT I don't have to shave. ๐Ÿ™‚ Ladies at the makeup counters are my new best friends.

Fatigue, comes and goes. That's what husband and kids are for, to help out! Have to learn to listen and rest, before I get wiped out (I work full time).

Latest scans on 10/24 = NO lung nodes, tiny pocket of fluid, neck down by 75%.

I just had to have my lung drained yesterday, I was filled back up to 50%.I knew I was getting bad, I was gasping for breath after exertion (laundry, housework, etc). Find out results tomorrow: side effect but BRAF still working, or starting not to respond?! It can be a seesaw, to say the least.

Prayers to your dad, and your family!

TracyLee Stage IV May 2011

TracyLee
                                        Participant

Hello,

My lungs were filled with "innumerable" nodes and 80% with fluid when I started BRAF/Zelboraf. Within 2 days, I was breathing much better, my neck (egg sized lump protrusion) was visibly diminshing, and so on.

I'm on my third month now. EXTREME sun sensitivity, painful lumps (ereythema nodusums) which flare and resolve in 2-3 days (mainly on my legs/feet, some on my arms). Now developing very painful, but "floating" arthritis.

Definitely hair thinning. No brows, few lashes. BUT I don't have to shave. ๐Ÿ™‚ Ladies at the makeup counters are my new best friends.

Fatigue, comes and goes. That's what husband and kids are for, to help out! Have to learn to listen and rest, before I get wiped out (I work full time).

I just had to have my lung drained yesterday, I was filled back up to 50%.I knew I was getting bad, I was gasping for breath after exertion (laundry, housework, etc). Find out results tomorrow: side effect but BRAF still working, or starting not to respond?! It can be a seesaw, to say the least.

bchgrl
                                            Participant

Thanks to everyone for your information and words of encouragement.  For the first time since my father's diagnosis I feel a little bit of hope.  My prayers are with all of you.

bchgrl
                                              Participant

Thanks to everyone for your information and words of encouragement.  For the first time since my father's diagnosis I feel a little bit of hope.  My prayers are with all of you.

bchgrl
                                                Participant

TracyLee
                                                Participant

Hello,

Richard_K
                                                  Participant

Hi

I have some feelings of guilt sharing my good fortune, but I think you would benefit from hearing from someone who has been experiencing phenomenal results with Zelboraf.  I am part of the phase II trial and will shortly be completing my 21st month on the drug.  (Scans next week, I feel good, and expect continued good results.)

My side effects have been very manageable and tolerated well.  There has been body rash (none on face), body hair loss (very little on head), very sensitive to sun, mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot, warts on various parts of body with some taken off.  All except one wart that was taken off was benign, one was a squamous-cell carcinoma.  Side effects toady are: body rash (none on face), body hair almost all grown back, still very sensitive to sun, mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot.  New warts are very few and far between.

The sun sensitivity has been hard to deal with as I love to work in the yard.  In addition to the long pants, long sleeve shirt, wide brimmed hat, and sun screen, my secret weapon is a 10 x 10 foot shade canopy that has an aluminized fabric on it.  I get a good laugh when I get a second glance from someone seeing me like this on a cloudy day.

I hope this is helpful and wish you and your father the best.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                    Participant

Hi

I have some feelings of guilt sharing my good fortune, but I think you would benefit from hearing from someone who has been experiencing phenomenal results with Zelboraf.  I am part of the phase II trial and will shortly be completing my 21st month on the drug.  (Scans next week, I feel good, and expect continued good results.)

My side effects have been very manageable and tolerated well.  There has been body rash (none on face), body hair loss (very little on head), very sensitive to sun, mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot, warts on various parts of body with some taken off.  All except one wart that was taken off was benign, one was a squamous-cell carcinoma.  Side effects toady are: body rash (none on face), body hair almost all grown back, still very sensitive to sun, mild neuropathy in both feet, mild swelling in left foot.  New warts are very few and far between.

The sun sensitivity has been hard to deal with as I love to work in the yard.  In addition to the long pants, long sleeve shirt, wide brimmed hat, and sun screen, my secret weapon is a 10 x 10 foot shade canopy that has an aluminized fabric on it.  I get a good laugh when I get a second glance from someone seeing me like this on a cloudy day.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                      Participant

Hi

Dick

irenelaqy
                                                        Participant
                                                          Your home is valueble for me. Thanks!ย…
                                                          siteground reviews heinous green geeks reviews vixatious host monster review starve
                                                          irenelaqy
                                                          Participant
                                                            siteground reviews heinous green geeks reviews vixatious host monster review starve
                                                            irenelaqy
                                                            Participant
                                                          Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics