The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf side effects

Participant

I have tried Zelboraf at full dose two times and both times I have hit the wall with regard to joint pain around 6 or 7 days in.  Doctor's solution is to suspend the drug for 3 or 4 days and then restart.  Is there a better alternative to dealing with this pain?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        ad2424
        Participant

Have you discussed with your doctor taking MEK along with the Zel? Side effects are less and results are better. I am only 1 but have had no joint pain on both.

ad2424
          Participant

Have you discussed with your doctor taking MEK along with the Zel? Side effects are less and results are better. I am only 1 but have had no joint pain on both.

ad2424
            Participant

paul
              Participant

Hello Mark,

Several other options would be:

1. take a small dose of prednisone along with drug

2. reduce dosage to 3×2 rather than 4×2.

I'm currently on the MEK combo and have some joint pain, but have had fewer side-effects overal than I did on Zelboraf.

Paul

paul
                Participant

Hello Mark,

I'm currently on the MEK combo and have some joint pain, but have had fewer side-effects overal than I did on Zelboraf.

Paul

paul
                  Participant

Hello Mark,

Paul

Richard_K
                    Participant

Mark,

I am a little past four years on Zelboraf.  While the "normal" side effects were never too bad, I have experienced problems with my liver as indicated with elevated bilirubin.  The bilirubin issue was addressed by taking occasional one or two week holidaies and in November 2012, my dosage was dropped to 720 mg 2x a day from 960 mg 2x a day.

Six weeks ago I had to take another two week holiday but yesterday I got results of Monday's scan – no problems.  I also had new blood work – everything normal, and I got another six weeks worth of pills.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you.

Richard_K
                      Participant

Mark,

I am a little past four years on Zelboraf.  While the "normal" side effects were never too bad, I have experienced problems with my liver as indicated with elevated bilirubin.  The bilirubin issue was addressed by taking occasional one or two week holidaies and in November 2012, my dosage was dropped to 720 mg 2x a day from 960 mg 2x a day.

Six weeks ago I had to take another two week holiday but yesterday I got results of Monday's scan – no problems.  I also had new blood work – everything normal, and I got another six weeks worth of pills.

Richard_K
                        Participant

Mark,

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics