The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf Question

Participant

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not… probably would go better if I searched the site to see if it had been covered before… but what the heck.

With Zelboraf, why is it once you've hit NED on scans, we don't take a break from it and keep scanning?  Is it because it doesn't work that way.. impossible for it to kill anything other than tumors (IE, can't clean out the cellular level of the disease, or whatever it is that causes new tumors?)

Wouldn't that at least buy extra time before the resistance sets in?

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not… probably would go better if I searched the site to see if it had been covered before… but what the heck.

With Zelboraf, why is it once you've hit NED on scans, we don't take a break from it and keep scanning?  Is it because it doesn't work that way.. impossible for it to kill anything other than tumors (IE, can't clean out the cellular level of the disease, or whatever it is that causes new tumors?)

Wouldn't that at least buy extra time before the resistance sets in?

Thanks… I'm figuring the answer is probably "it doesn't work that way'  but you never know.

Chris

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        atcchris
        Participant

Not sure I fully understand.. but if I read correctly, the problem is that the BRAF mutation that allows this to work is only suppressed by zelboraf.  Almost certainly, without zelboraf, the mutated gene will go back to causing cancer cells to grow uncontrollably.

And I guess the whole MEK thing is when the BRAF mutates again, there needs to be another drug to suppress the OTHER mutation.

So.. zelboraf can only buy us time.. (but valuable time)

I guess the million dollar question is how do you get things back to normal where the cancer cells are properly regulated? 

I guess all the immunology type drugs like Yervoy, etc are designed to step up and make the body kill the cells that aren't being properly regulated in the first place.. but is anything being worked on to "fix" the genes that aren't working right?

All or part of my understanding bogus?

thanks,

Chris

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Chris, the big problem is that melanoma is often able to actively bypass the efforts of
              the immune system to keep tumours from growing. In general terms when one pathway is
              blocked, another one is usually found so that melanoma cells can continue to
              metastasise. Researchers are making good progress in trying to understand this process,
              however there is still much to be learnt.

You may be interested in the following (from a previous post):
              "Can the Body's Immune Response Help Treat Cancer?"
              http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/can-body-s-immune-response-help-treat-cancer#comment-39097
              (If it doesn't work, just copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser).

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Chris, the big problem is that melanoma is often able to actively bypass the efforts of
                the immune system to keep tumours from growing. In general terms when one pathway is
                metastasise. Researchers are making good progress in trying to understand this process,

http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/can-body-s-immune-response-help-treat-cancer#comment-39097
                (If it doesn't work, just copy and paste the link into the address bar of your browser).

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

atcchris
                Participant

Not sure I fully understand.. but if I read correctly, the problem is that the BRAF mutation that allows this to work is only suppressed by zelboraf.  Almost certainly, without zelboraf, the mutated gene will go back to causing cancer cells to grow uncontrollably.

And I guess the whole MEK thing is when the BRAF mutates again, there needs to be another drug to suppress the OTHER mutation.

I guess the million dollar question is how do you get things back to normal where the cancer cells are properly regulated? 

I guess all the immunology type drugs like Yervoy, etc are designed to step up and make the body kill the cells that aren't being properly regulated in the first place.. but is anything being worked on to "fix" the genes that aren't working right?

thanks,

Chris

atcchris
                  Participant

thanks,

Chris

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics