The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Zelboraf and liver levels

Forums General Melanoma Community Zelboraf and liver levels

Participant

I'm wondering what folks liver levels have been on Z.  I started taking May 30th.  Had to take a 1 week break due to severe rash.  Before taking Z my ALT level was around 16.  Then 10 days on it was at 40 and then 2 weeks later at 120.  I think normal range for women is between 5-37.  They are doing repeat labs again on Thursday.  Guessing that is to watch my liver levels.

Also my Bilirubin was at 0.9 on 5/22 (before taking Z) and then actually at 0.7 10 days later but 2 weeks after at 1.7.  These were taken this past Friday!

I'm wondering what folks liver levels have been on Z.  I started taking May 30th.  Had to take a 1 week break due to severe rash.  Before taking Z my ALT level was around 16.  Then 10 days on it was at 40 and then 2 weeks later at 120.  I think normal range for women is between 5-37.  They are doing repeat labs again on Thursday.  Guessing that is to watch my liver levels.

Also my Bilirubin was at 0.9 on 5/22 (before taking Z) and then actually at 0.7 10 days later but 2 weeks after at 1.7.  These were taken this past Friday!

I started Z because in May I had a section of my small intestine with significant wall thickening.  And my hemoglobin had dropped to 5.6.  On Friday it was up to 10.8 (I did have a blood transfusion 5/22 which brought it up around 9.7).  

Any suggestions on what to avoid to help with liver levels elevated?  I know Alcohol and other medications.  

Thanks,
      Erin

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        jmmm
        Participant
          Not sure if you’re taking any other meds, but My husband had the same thing happen…his level got to 1500 at one point with bilirubin above normal, too. The Dr. Finally determined it was an interaction with the anti-seizure meds he was on from his craniotomy and gamma knife. They tried two different anti seizure meds, but liver levels kept rising. Finally, he came off Zelboraf for 2 weeks and stopped the anti-seizure meds as soon as it was safe. It took almost a month, but the liver levels finally came back down. Bth anti-seizure meds were deemed “safe” to take with Zelboraf, but obviously they were not for him. Right now, he can’t take any other meds with the Zelboraf, unless. It’s absolutely necessary. Tylenol for joint pain does the same thing.
          jmmm
          Participant
            Not sure if you’re taking any other meds, but My husband had the same thing happen…his level got to 1500 at one point with bilirubin above normal, too. The Dr. Finally determined it was an interaction with the anti-seizure meds he was on from his craniotomy and gamma knife. They tried two different anti seizure meds, but liver levels kept rising. Finally, he came off Zelboraf for 2 weeks and stopped the anti-seizure meds as soon as it was safe. It took almost a month, but the liver levels finally came back down. Bth anti-seizure meds were deemed “safe” to take with Zelboraf, but obviously they were not for him. Right now, he can’t take any other meds with the Zelboraf, unless. It’s absolutely necessary. Tylenol for joint pain does the same thing.
            jmmm
            Participant
                Erinmay22
                Participant

Thanks.  Not on any other meds right now.  Only thing I take is iron supplement for my low hemoglobin problem.  I was taking some tylenol a few weeks back due to joint pain but have stopped all of that.  I know they will keep a close eye on it.  Guess we never really know how our bodies are going to react to these sort of drugs, right?  

awillett1991
                  Participant
                    My liver levels are up all of a sudden too and also suffering with the nighttime fevere and chills, and extreme fatigue although I’ve been on Zel since April. I’m off now for a couple of days to see if thing clear up. I’ve already been off twice before, once for the rash, once for joint pain. At least I know it’s working for me so it makes things a little easier to bear.
                    Erinmay22
                    Participant

Hey – Thanks for the note!  I had blood work today and things were better – back in the 'normal' range but on the high end.  Much better than 3x's the high end, right?  I'm on a reduced dose already.  It's 3 pills 2x's per day.  

Hope you all had a fabulous 4th!

Erin

meldad
                      Participant
                        Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what (if any) symptoms you had when your liver levels were high? My dad has been on Zel since May2012 and this week his been very tired and had a bit of pain in his stomach area? We have scans scheduled this week anyway but I’m just in a bit of a panick.

I read this bulletin everyday but don’t post much, I hope you’re all doing well.

awillett1991
                        Participant
                          It is very hard to tell just from symptoms but they can run some simple bloodwork and find out. Abdominal pain can be many things.
                          awillett1991
                          Participant
                            It is very hard to tell just from symptoms but they can run some simple bloodwork and find out. Abdominal pain can be many things.
                            awillett1991
                            Participant
                              Richard_K
                              Participant

There are some symptoms that are tied to an increase in your bilirubin.  My bilirubin has been causing some concerns for me.  At my last appointment it was up a little but not enough to stop taking Zelboraf.  The easy things I was told to be watching for were for any yellowing of my skin or eyes or my urine turning dark.  Eating and stomach issues could also be an issue, I guess only if they continued and was not part of something else going on with you.

Like Amy said though, a simple blood test will answer the question.  I hope the scans this week turn out fine and there are no liver issues.

Dick

meldad
                                Participant

Thank you both for your replies! We have just got my dad's scan results and blood tests back and everything looks good! His staying on Zel!!  The doctor thinks he may have just pulled a muscle!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

meldad
                                  Participant

Thank you both for your replies! We have just got my dad's scan results and blood tests back and everything looks good! His staying on Zel!!  The doctor thinks he may have just pulled a muscle!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

meldad
                                    Participant

Richard_K
                                      Participant

There are some symptoms that are tied to an increase in your bilirubin.  My bilirubin has been causing some concerns for me.  At my last appointment it was up a little but not enough to stop taking Zelboraf.  The easy things I was told to be watching for were for any yellowing of my skin or eyes or my urine turning dark.  Eating and stomach issues could also be an issue, I guess only if they continued and was not part of something else going on with you.

Like Amy said though, a simple blood test will answer the question.  I hope the scans this week turn out fine and there are no liver issues.

Dick

Richard_K
                                        Participant

Dick

meldad
                                          Participant
                                            Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what (if any) symptoms you had when your liver levels were high? My dad has been on Zel since May2012 and this week his been very tired and had a bit of pain in his stomach area? We have scans scheduled this week anyway but I’m just in a bit of a panick.

I read this bulletin everyday but don’t post much, I hope you’re all doing well.

meldad
                                            Participant
                                              Hi Everyone,

Erinmay22
                                              Participant

Hey – Thanks for the note!  I had blood work today and things were better – back in the 'normal' range but on the high end.  Much better than 3x's the high end, right?  I'm on a reduced dose already.  It's 3 pills 2x's per day.  

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                Participant

Erin

awillett1991
                                                  Participant
                                                    My liver levels are up all of a sudden too and also suffering with the nighttime fevere and chills, and extreme fatigue although I’ve been on Zel since April. I’m off now for a couple of days to see if thing clear up. I’ve already been off twice before, once for the rash, once for joint pain. At least I know it’s working for me so it makes things a little easier to bear.
                                                    awillett1991
                                                    Participant
                                                      Erinmay22
                                                      Participant

Thanks.  Not on any other meds right now.  Only thing I take is iron supplement for my low hemoglobin problem.  I was taking some tylenol a few weeks back due to joint pain but have stopped all of that.  I know they will keep a close eye on it.  Guess we never really know how our bodies are going to react to these sort of drugs, right?  

Erinmay22
                                                        Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics