The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy – Scans show worsening

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy – Scans show worsening

Participant

Hi All,

Hi All,

My father is Stage IV and started on Yervoy back in April 2011 after it came on the market.  He received colitis after the first infusion and started on steriods right away.  His 2nd treatment was delayed but he started back up and received his last 3rd treatment at the end of June.  He was having pain in his hip in the beginning of July and in August they found out he had a new tumor growth (9cm).  He had a bone scan and MRI of the pelvic region and both were clear of cancer.  It took them a while to find the tumor (not sure why) but they finally gave him a CT scan in his pelvic region to uncover it in the middle of August.  The scan revealed a lot of disease progression since April with many new sites in his lungs and liver.  His doctor claims the treatment is working and that he has had a lot of "success" so far.  He also said that this drug does not have dramatic responses, meaning most of the time the tumors will just be stable and not disappear.  When I read the blogs of the IPI responders, their tumors are disappearing.  As we understand Yervoy, it does take time to work but the scans were very discouraging for my father.  He is getting surgery to remove the tumor in his hip and the doctor wants to follow up with scans in October along with another infusion of Yervoy then. 

Does anybody else have experience with Yervoy/IPI where it took a while (20+ weeks) for the drug to make the tumor growth become stable or disappear?

Really appreciate your input.  Thanks!

Deidre Grief (Father Stage IV)

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Deidre, I am sorry to read that Yervoy seems to be becoming less effective. Unfortunately, this is not unexpected.

I have looked at your profile page, and I wonder if your father's melanoma has been tested for the BRAF genetic mutation? If it is determined that he is BRAF positive, then he might be able to be treated with an inhibitor. Another possibility is IL-2.

However, I feel that TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) is the most promising treatment that is available. I don't know if your father would be eligible for this procedure, but it would be worthwhile finding out.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Deidre, I am sorry to read that Yervoy seems to be becoming less effective. Unfortunately, this is not unexpected.

I have looked at your profile page, and I wonder if your father's melanoma has been tested for the BRAF genetic mutation? If it is determined that he is BRAF positive, then he might be able to be treated with an inhibitor. Another possibility is IL-2.

However, I feel that TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) is the most promising treatment that is available. I don't know if your father would be eligible for this procedure, but it would be worthwhile finding out.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

MariaH
            Participant

Hi Deidre,

I'm so sorry to hear that your dad has not gotten the response he is looking for on IPI.  I have no experience with Yervoy, but I thought I have heard of others having a late response on this – I think one may have switched to the B-RAF drug and found out then (on a base scan maybe?) that they were responding.  If you try doing a search regarding "late response to IPI", you may find more info.

Best wishes to both you and your dad,

Maria

MariaH
              Participant

Hi Deidre,

I'm so sorry to hear that your dad has not gotten the response he is looking for on IPI.  I have no experience with Yervoy, but I thought I have heard of others having a late response on this – I think one may have switched to the B-RAF drug and found out then (on a base scan maybe?) that they were responding.  If you try doing a search regarding "late response to IPI", you may find more info.

Best wishes to both you and your dad,

Maria

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics