The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy – nutrition

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy – nutrition

Participant

Hi everyone

My husband will begin Yervoy next week.  I want to stay ahead of the game and make sure he's getting good nutrition during the treatment.  Any suggestions from those that have been through the treatment and what worked best for you?  Also how did you handle side effects?

Thanks.

Rea 

Hi everyone

My husband will begin Yervoy next week.  I want to stay ahead of the game and make sure he's getting good nutrition during the treatment.  Any suggestions from those that have been through the treatment and what worked best for you?  Also how did you handle side effects?

Thanks.

Rea 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Kelly7
        Participant

I am interested in hearing the replies to this question as well. I have just read to stay away from alcohol-100%. I really hope I can convince my brother of that. I fear the mentality will be since its outpatient that it is not as intense or not addressing the diet as closely as if he was in the hospital….

Kelly7
          Participant

I am interested in hearing the replies to this question as well. I have just read to stay away from alcohol-100%. I really hope I can convince my brother of that. I fear the mentality will be since its outpatient that it is not as intense or not addressing the diet as closely as if he was in the hospital….

Kelly7
            Participant

Linny
              Participant

Use good common sense when it comes to nutrition: avoid foods high in sugar, salt, and preservatives. Avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague. Read labels. If you can't prounounce most of what's in a food product, don't buy it or eat it.

Stick to fruits, veggies, and grains, and meats/fish. Organic meats are best because they won't contain hormones or other nasty things that make the meat look pretty on the shelf. If you want to eat baked goods, make sure they're freshly baked from a local bakery. If it goes stale in 2-3 days it's the right stuff. Again, watch the sugar in these baked goods.

I never knew how to prepare interesting vegetable or grain dishes but I lucked out when I was able to find a book called Essential Nourishment by Marika Blossfeldt. Her recipes are easy, no fuss, and delicious! The link I provided takes you to Amazon.com where you can preview the book to see if it's suitable for you.

The information above should be fine as long as your husband won't develop the colitis side effect from Yervoy. Not everyone gets this side effect but some folks do. If he develops colitis, you're going to need to seek your doctor's advice on what your husband should eat. You don't want him to eat something that's going to aggravate it.

Linny
                Participant

Use good common sense when it comes to nutrition: avoid foods high in sugar, salt, and preservatives. Avoid artificial sweeteners like the plague. Read labels. If you can't prounounce most of what's in a food product, don't buy it or eat it.

Stick to fruits, veggies, and grains, and meats/fish. Organic meats are best because they won't contain hormones or other nasty things that make the meat look pretty on the shelf. If you want to eat baked goods, make sure they're freshly baked from a local bakery. If it goes stale in 2-3 days it's the right stuff. Again, watch the sugar in these baked goods.

I never knew how to prepare interesting vegetable or grain dishes but I lucked out when I was able to find a book called Essential Nourishment by Marika Blossfeldt. Her recipes are easy, no fuss, and delicious! The link I provided takes you to Amazon.com where you can preview the book to see if it's suitable for you.

The information above should be fine as long as your husband won't develop the colitis side effect from Yervoy. Not everyone gets this side effect but some folks do. If he develops colitis, you're going to need to seek your doctor's advice on what your husband should eat. You don't want him to eat something that's going to aggravate it.

Linny
                  Participant

beatricefromPARIS
                    Participant

Advice is to eat light and healthy!

I had yervoy reinduction in Nov 2011 followed a month later by Xmas and New Year : lots of big meals, wine, etc..I never had diarrhea but confirm Yervoy and digestion don t combine very well. I felt heavy/ ballooning and had difficulty sleeping because of low transit. 

beatricefromPARIS
                      Participant

I had yervoy reinduction in Nov 2011 followed a month later by Xmas and New Year : lots of big meals, wine, etc..I never had diarrhea but confirm Yervoy and digestion don t combine very well. I felt heavy/ ballooning and had difficulty sleeping because of low transit. 

beatricefromPARIS
                        Participant

justlittleoleme
                          Participant
                            Rea, my husband did four ipi infusions. Avoided alcohol, still is. His nutritional plan is no different. He did get colitis and hepatoxicity from the ipi so he is on high dose steroids now and is eating a ton of protein to avoid carbs and sugar.
                            From our experience there isn’t any preparation for side effects. Deal with them as they come. Take note of changes and make sure to let your oncologist know. Nothing is too trivial.
                            My hubby never had nausea. No premeds. Infusions themselves were a cake walk.
                            justlittleoleme
                            Participant
                              Rea, my husband did four ipi infusions. Avoided alcohol, still is. His nutritional plan is no different. He did get colitis and hepatoxicity from the ipi so he is on high dose steroids now and is eating a ton of protein to avoid carbs and sugar.
                              From our experience there isn’t any preparation for side effects. Deal with them as they come. Take note of changes and make sure to let your oncologist know. Nothing is too trivial.
                              justlittleoleme
                              Participant
                                ronald duclos
                                Participant

monitor the diarrhea, I got it right away and they stopped the yervoy because I was over 7 episodes a day.  Keep it under control with anti-diarrhea meds.  At the same time you don't want to take too much of that because you can have some tearing issues in the colon.  My doctor is giving it a second chance because one tumor disappeared and I am only taking 1 immodum per day right now. but I am already having issues again.  so I am trying to keep that by maintaining an easy diet.  It is hard to find what to eat.  definately have bananas, potatoes and avocados on your list to help keep potasium levels up.  waatch other electrolytes and stuff. Hope that helps.

ronald duclos
                                  Participant

monitor the diarrhea, I got it right away and they stopped the yervoy because I was over 7 episodes a day.  Keep it under control with anti-diarrhea meds.  At the same time you don't want to take too much of that because you can have some tearing issues in the colon.  My doctor is giving it a second chance because one tumor disappeared and I am only taking 1 immodum per day right now. but I am already having issues again.  so I am trying to keep that by maintaining an easy diet.  It is hard to find what to eat.  definately have bananas, potatoes and avocados on your list to help keep potasium levels up.  waatch other electrolytes and stuff. Hope that helps.

ronald duclos
                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics