The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy effectiveness re tumor size

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy effectiveness re tumor size

Participant

I know this is a tough, perhaps unknown question, but perhaps someone has info I have not uncovered.

I have 3 lung tumors: 6 mm, 3mm, and 3mm, with additional smaller. 3 months ago the 6 mm was 2 mm and the others were not mentioned.

Does anyone know if this is the prime time to start Yervoy? I am thinking of waiting 4-8 weeks and having another scan, trying to buy some time to possibly get on a trial of another protocal. Thanks.

I know this is a tough, perhaps unknown question, but perhaps someone has info I have not uncovered.

I have 3 lung tumors: 6 mm, 3mm, and 3mm, with additional smaller. 3 months ago the 6 mm was 2 mm and the others were not mentioned.

Does anyone know if this is the prime time to start Yervoy? I am thinking of waiting 4-8 weeks and having another scan, trying to buy some time to possibly get on a trial of another protocal. Thanks.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        mombase
        Participant

To me, these tumors seem a bit aggressive to have grown that much in a month, although my onc says that the lungs are VERY forgiving. The only reason we together chose to start with Yervoy was that my many lung tumors had not grown in three months. Yeryoy is pretty slow acting. Otherwise, we would have started with Zelboraf. If I had not been B-RAF +, I probably would have gone for the IL-2.  What does your oncologist think?

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
          Participant

To me, these tumors seem a bit aggressive to have grown that much in a month, although my onc says that the lungs are VERY forgiving. The only reason we together chose to start with Yervoy was that my many lung tumors had not grown in three months. Yeryoy is pretty slow acting. Otherwise, we would have started with Zelboraf. If I had not been B-RAF +, I probably would have gone for the IL-2.  What does your oncologist think?

Cristy, Stage IV

ad2424
              Participant

They grew that much in 3 months. He suggested starting, but also said waiting a month was reasonable.

mombase
                Participant

Oh, sorry, I mis-read that. My onc also said that if there was no such thing as Yervoy, he would have been very comfortable waiting before starting a faster acting agent. But because Yervoy is slow acting, he thought it prudent to start infusions sooner rather than later. I guess I would be concerned that the tumor load might increase?? But probably not in a month. I am not sure what the benefit would be to wait for a month…

mombase
                  Participant

Oh, sorry, I mis-read that. My onc also said that if there was no such thing as Yervoy, he would have been very comfortable waiting before starting a faster acting agent. But because Yervoy is slow acting, he thought it prudent to start infusions sooner rather than later. I guess I would be concerned that the tumor load might increase?? But probably not in a month. I am not sure what the benefit would be to wait for a month…

mombase
                    Participant

ad2424
                      Participant

Thank you for your repsonses. You are right, 1 month probably might be the wrong amount of time I would have to wait.

ad2424
                        Participant

Thank you for your repsonses. You are right, 1 month probably might be the wrong amount of time I would have to wait.

mombase
                          Participant

I am just kind of wondering aloud…I hope others chime in on your post!! You ultimately have to be comfortable with your decision.  Take care!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                            Participant

I am just kind of wondering aloud…I hope others chime in on your post!! You ultimately have to be comfortable with your decision.  Take care!

Cristy, Stage IV

Lisa13
                              Participant

I have 15 nodules in my lungs – all around the same size as yours – and one grew to 1.2cm.  Most of these nodules grew in 6 weeks, but only a little bit (1cm grew to 1.2cm and the rest grew a tiny bit or not at all).  Nodules can grow slowly and they can also change course and grow quickly. I asked my Dr. if my nodules would continue to grow slow and he said "Melanoma will just do what it wants to do".  That being said,  If I were you, I wouldn't let any of them grow much more and start Yervoy. Because Yervoy takes time, you want your tumour burden to be lower so that you don't have symptoms should they grow before the Yervoy kicks in (hopefully). 

One last thing, I never had a biopsy on any of my nodules – have you??

Christy – what did your Dr. mean when he said lungs were forgiving? 

Good luck!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                Participant

I have 15 nodules in my lungs – all around the same size as yours – and one grew to 1.2cm.  Most of these nodules grew in 6 weeks, but only a little bit (1cm grew to 1.2cm and the rest grew a tiny bit or not at all).  Nodules can grow slowly and they can also change course and grow quickly. I asked my Dr. if my nodules would continue to grow slow and he said "Melanoma will just do what it wants to do".  That being said,  If I were you, I wouldn't let any of them grow much more and start Yervoy. Because Yervoy takes time, you want your tumour burden to be lower so that you don't have symptoms should they grow before the Yervoy kicks in (hopefully). 

Good luck!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                  Participant

Good luck!

Lisa

mombase
                                    Participant

Hi Lisa,

Well, I have lots of tumors in all parts of my lungs, and I asked him why I have not had any symptoms at all. He basically just showed me the the scans of the lungs that show how much area of lung there is compared to the size of the tumors. This explanation from him was probably way oversimplified, but it worked for me! I suppose I have been very fortunate not to have any fluid in my lungs, as well.

mombase
                                      Participant

Hi Lisa,

Well, I have lots of tumors in all parts of my lungs, and I asked him why I have not had any symptoms at all. He basically just showed me the the scans of the lungs that show how much area of lung there is compared to the size of the tumors. This explanation from him was probably way oversimplified, but it worked for me! I suppose I have been very fortunate not to have any fluid in my lungs, as well.

Lisa13
                                        Participant

Mine are very small as well, except for the 1.2cm one.  I too have never had any symptoms, but they were also first seen in April when my Dr. had no idea what they were because they were so small. Since they grew a bit, he didn't want to wait until 1 day I became symptomatic.

I hope you and I do very well on this drug!

Lisa

Lisa13
                                          Participant

Mine are very small as well, except for the 1.2cm one.  I too have never had any symptoms, but they were also first seen in April when my Dr. had no idea what they were because they were so small. Since they grew a bit, he didn't want to wait until 1 day I became symptomatic.

Lisa

mombase
                                            Participant

Me too!! yes

mombase
                                              Participant

Me too!! yes

mombase
                                                Participant

Me too!! yes

Lisa13
                                                  Participant

Lisa

mombase
                                                    Participant

Hi Lisa,

ad2424
                                                      Participant

Hi Lisa – are you on Yervoy? When did you start?

I did not have a biopsy. I had VATS lung surgery to remove a few in the opposite lung as is my issue now.

Steven

ad2424
                                                        Participant

I did not have a biopsy. I had VATS lung surgery to remove a few in the opposite lung as is my issue now.

Steven

ad2424
                                                          Participant

Steven

mombase
                                                            Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

ad2424
                                                              Participant

ad2424
                                                                Participant

They grew that much in 3 months. He suggested starting, but also said waiting a month was reasonable.

ad2424
                                                                  Participant

mombase
                                                                  Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics