The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yervoy and white hair

Forums General Melanoma Community Yervoy and white hair

Participant

Hi there.

I'm just curious if any of you that have taken Yervoy have seen your hair color change to white. I've read the articles about people who's hair turns white after Yervoy and how they are long time responders to the drug. Here's one of the articles:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/06/06/us-cancer-melanoma-hair-idUSTRE6542SF20100606

Hi there.

I'm just curious if any of you that have taken Yervoy have seen your hair color change to white. I've read the articles about people who's hair turns white after Yervoy and how they are long time responders to the drug. Here's one of the articles:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/06/06/us-cancer-melanoma-hair-idUSTRE6542SF20100606

I had my last dose of Yervoy on November 8th. Today I was getting ready, and noticed a bunch of white hairs in my eyebrows. I'm 30 years old. I should not have white eyebrows. I look at my eyebrows every morning when I'm doing my makeup and I've never noticed these before. It's like all of a sudden, a bunch of hairs just turned white. They aren't grey, they are white. The above article said that people who have their hair turn white see it start in their eyebrows.

Hmm..I'm wondering what to think of this. My first CT still showed growth in my adrenal tumor. We scan again at the end of January. Is it possible that this could be a sign that the Yervoy is kicking in?? Could something else be causing my eyebrows to turn white?

Just wondered if others have experienced this? I'm trying not to let myself get excited and think these white hairs mean I'm going to be a responder. But, it sure has me wondering what that next scan is going to show!!

~Angela

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        WendyPam
        Participant

I remember reading Warren G post and went to his blog and I think his hair turned white after treatment.  I believe he had a positive response.  You should look up his post and go to his personnel history. You can find his post under "wgalinat. " My Mother completed Yervoy on July 19th and has a good amount of Vitiligo across of chest and arms and they say that to is response. Our first 2 PET/CT post Yervoy have showed her  tumors decreasing in size and nothing new. We scan again in Jan. They do say that Yervoy can show a delayed response so lets cross our fingers for you. I think the white eyebrows is a positive for you!

Happy Holidays to you!

Wendy

NYKaren
            Participant

Thanks for posting this.  I hadn't heard about it.

You know, I have had a feeling that I'm at least a partial/late responder to Yervoy, and a couple of my eyebrow hairs have turned white.  

Be well,

karen

NYKaren
              Participant

You know, I have had a feeling that I'm at least a partial/late responder to Yervoy, and a couple of my eyebrow hairs have turned white.  

Be well,

karen

NYKaren
                Participant

Be well,

karen

WendyPam
                Participant

I remember reading Warren G post and went to his blog and I think his hair turned white after treatment.  I believe he had a positive response.  You should look up his post and go to his personnel history. You can find his post under "wgalinat. " My Mother completed Yervoy on July 19th and has a good amount of Vitiligo across of chest and arms and they say that to is response. Our first 2 PET/CT post Yervoy have showed her  tumors decreasing in size and nothing new. We scan again in Jan. They do say that Yervoy can show a delayed response so lets cross our fingers for you. I think the white eyebrows is a positive for you!

Happy Holidays to you!

Wendy

WendyPam
                  Participant

Happy Holidays to you!

Wendy

gabsound
                    Participant
                      Angela,
                      I just had my first dose of yervoy about a week ago. My oncologist said that getting vitiligo is a great thing. That it is affecting pigment cells ( not sure if that is the exact thing) and that is what is affected with melanoma. I would think losing the pigment in your hair is the same as losing the pigment in your skin. I’m excited for you! I’ll bet your next scans will show improvement.

Julie in las Vegas

gabsound
                      Participant
                        Angela,
                        I just had my first dose of yervoy about a week ago. My oncologist said that getting vitiligo is a great thing. That it is affecting pigment cells ( not sure if that is the exact thing) and that is what is affected with melanoma. I would think losing the pigment in your hair is the same as losing the pigment in your skin. I’m excited for you! I’ll bet your next scans will show improvement.

Julie in las Vegas

gabsound
                        Participant
                          Angela,

Julie in las Vegas

Gene_S
                          Participant

Hi Angela,

My husband is in the maintenance phase of Ipi (Yervoy) and he has white eyebrows and parts of his beard.  He has also lost skin pigmentation on the face and neck.  He is at over 63% regression as of his last scans in November.  He gets another maintenace dose in January and then more scans in Feb.  His doctor loves the fact that the white is showing and says it shows the Ipi is working.

I hope this means the same for you.

Judy (loving wife and caregiver of Gene Stage IV)

Gene_S
                              Participant

Also forgot to mention that he has lost all of his under arm hairs.

Roxy1453
                                Participant
                                  When did he lose his hair under his arms? I’ve just had my first injection and imhave lost mine.

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                  Participant
                                    When did he lose his hair under his arms? I’ve just had my first injection and imhave lost mine.

Nancy

Roxy1453
                                    Participant

Nancy

Gene_S
                                      Participant

Hi Nancy,

He lost it after the second maintenance dose at 30 to 36 weeks at least.  Still has none. 

His eyebrows are so white the Dr. thinks he would make a great Santa.

Judy

Gene_S
                                        Participant

Come to think of it, it may have even been sooner.  He was itching the arm pit one day and I was sitting at the right angle to see up his sleeve and I said boy the rash is bad in that area please be careful when scratching it.  When I took a closer look all the hair was gone.  So I don't really know the exact time but am guessing it was at the time that the rash was so bad.

Gene_S
                                          Participant

Come to think of it, it may have even been sooner.  He was itching the arm pit one day and I was sitting at the right angle to see up his sleeve and I said boy the rash is bad in that area please be careful when scratching it.  When I took a closer look all the hair was gone.  So I don't really know the exact time but am guessing it was at the time that the rash was so bad.

Gene_S
                                            Participant

Gene_S
                                              Participant

Hi Nancy,

He lost it after the second maintenance dose at 30 to 36 weeks at least.  Still has none. 

Judy

Gene_S
                                                Participant

Hi Nancy,

Judy

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Hi Angela,

My husband is in the maintenance phase of Ipi (Yervoy) and he has white eyebrows and parts of his beard.  He has also lost skin pigmentation on the face and neck.  He is at over 63% regression as of his last scans in November.  He gets another maintenace dose in January and then more scans in Feb.  His doctor loves the fact that the white is showing and says it shows the Ipi is working.

Gene_S
                                                      Participant

Hi Angela,

Richard_K
                                                        Participant

Angela

The following link should take you to a You Tube video "Dr. Anna Pavlick Speaks at The 2011 Mollie's Fund Golf Outing". The whole video is interesting but if you skip to around 8:00, that is where she talks about your situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fd9uehyZSII

Good luck and Happy Holiday.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                          Participant

Angela

The following link should take you to a You Tube video "Dr. Anna Pavlick Speaks at The 2011 Mollie's Fund Golf Outing". The whole video is interesting but if you skip to around 8:00, that is where she talks about your situation.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                            Participant

Angela

Dick

Jim M.
                                                              Participant

Hi Angela,

I'm a Yervoy responder as my immune system response was at least 5 times over baseline, I got hypopituritarism, and one blotch of white hair on the back of my head. Now my wife and daughter said I had that before Yervoy but I don't think so. At any rate it is a sign that Yervoy is working.

Best of success,

Jim M.

stage 3C

NED: 4+ years

Jim M.
                                                                Participant

Hi Angela,

I'm a Yervoy responder as my immune system response was at least 5 times over baseline, I got hypopituritarism, and one blotch of white hair on the back of my head. Now my wife and daughter said I had that before Yervoy but I don't think so. At any rate it is a sign that Yervoy is working.

Best of success,

Jim M.

stage 3C

Gene_S
                                                                    Participant

Jim,

Would you please explain what  "my immune system response was at least 5 times over baseline"?

I not sure what you mean by baseline?

Thanks,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                      Participant

Jim,

Would you please explain what  "my immune system response was at least 5 times over baseline"?

Thanks,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                                        Participant

Jim,

Thanks,

Gene

Jim M.
                                                                        Participant

Hi Angela,

Best of success,

Jim M.

stage 3C

Frannie55
                                                                          Participant

I'm stage IV, latest mets to my liver, NED since Feb 2010. I've not had any treatments, just surgeries. My hair has turned mostly white. I also have vitilgo covering 25% of my body. My immune system must be in overdrive.

Lisa13
                                                                              Participant

I personally try not to get caught up in the symptoms, white hair, vitilago, etc, because if people read too much about this stuff and don't experience any of them, they get afraid the drug won't work. I had no symptoms on yervoy other than itching.  At my 16 week scan, the mets had shrunk by 50% and some had disappeared. I was nervous the whole time because I didn't have the bad symptoms which people said would make the drug work best.  

I remember a girl on this site who was in the ipi trial versus placebo (Stage 3). When she got white in her eyebrows, she was so happy she was getting the drug. Turns out, she was getting the placebo.   I think it's just hard to know why this drug works for some and not others and why some get partial responses and complete.   There's certainly alot more partial responders then complete and it would be nice for them to figure out why this is.    

Lisa13
                                                                                Participant

I personally try not to get caught up in the symptoms, white hair, vitilago, etc, because if people read too much about this stuff and don't experience any of them, they get afraid the drug won't work. I had no symptoms on yervoy other than itching.  At my 16 week scan, the mets had shrunk by 50% and some had disappeared. I was nervous the whole time because I didn't have the bad symptoms which people said would make the drug work best.  

I remember a girl on this site who was in the ipi trial versus placebo (Stage 3). When she got white in her eyebrows, she was so happy she was getting the drug. Turns out, she was getting the placebo.   I think it's just hard to know why this drug works for some and not others and why some get partial responses and complete.   There's certainly alot more partial responders then complete and it would be nice for them to figure out why this is.    

Lisa13
                                                                                  Participant

Frannie55
                                                                                  Participant

I'm stage IV, latest mets to my liver, NED since Feb 2010. I've not had any treatments, just surgeries. My hair has turned mostly white. I also have vitilgo covering 25% of my body. My immune system must be in overdrive.

Frannie55
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics