The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Yearly update (for early stagers, mainly). 19 years NED!

Forums General Melanoma Community Yearly update (for early stagers, mainly). 19 years NED!

Participant

In April 1992, I was diagnosed with a .58mm lesion.  (Stage IB under today's staging system).  Pre-internet days and no books on melanoma at my library.  It was incredibly difficult to find anything in print, and what was written was incredibly negative.  Mostly geared toward higher stages and low survival rates.  The internet and sites like this have become an incredible tool if you don't let them freak you out.  19 years later (and with 2 more primaries in 2000 and 2001), I'm still stage IB.

In April 1992, I was diagnosed with a .58mm lesion.  (Stage IB under today's staging system).  Pre-internet days and no books on melanoma at my library.  It was incredibly difficult to find anything in print, and what was written was incredibly negative.  Mostly geared toward higher stages and low survival rates.  The internet and sites like this have become an incredible tool if you don't let them freak you out.  19 years later (and with 2 more primaries in 2000 and 2001), I'm still stage IB.

This place can be scary for the newly diagnosed – especially those who are early stage.  Most stage 0 or 1's move on and don't stay to post here as their anxiety wanes.  So I'm posting as one of those long time stage I people who is still stage I after MANY years.  Heck, it's hard to remember my life without melanoma.

Best wishes to all,

Janner

1992 – ..58mm, Clark Level II, 1 mitosis

2000 – in situ

2001 – .88mm, Clark Level III, 1 mitosis

Tested positive for melanoma genetic defect, CDKN2A

Viewing 27 reply threads
    • Replies
        Hawaii Bob
        Participant

Congratulations Janner !

Hawaii Bob
          Participant

Congratulations Janner !

lhaley
            Participant

What a great number to celebrate!!   This is a good time to thank you for all of the info you have been able to give others!

Congratulations,

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

What a great number to celebrate!!   This is a good time to thank you for all of the info you have been able to give others!

Congratulations,

Linda

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

19 years NED is an amazing achievement!

I feel that the shallow depth of each lesion, and your wise decision to
                  promptly seek competent medical attention each time has kept you
                  healthy. So many patients delay seeing a doctor and then they find that a
                  suspicious lesion has become a very serious problem.

If only all people would realise that a few millimetres (depth of primary)
                  can mean the difference between being ok and having to face a

desperate battle against an aggressive cancer.

All the best,

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

19 years NED is an amazing achievement!

I feel that the shallow depth of each lesion, and your wise decision to
                    promptly seek competent medical attention each time has kept you
                    healthy. So many patients delay seeing a doctor and then they find that a
                    suspicious lesion has become a very serious problem.

If only all people would realise that a few millimetres (depth of primary)
                    can mean the difference between being ok and having to face a

desperate battle against an aggressive cancer.

All the best,

Frank from Australia

triciad
                    Participant

Janner,

Congratulations on such wonderful news!  Most of all, thank you for all of the knowledge that you share with us each and every day.  It's amazing how much you know about this dreadful disease.  Thanks for sticking around here when many in your stage would not.

Here's to many more decades of stage 1!!!

Tricia

triciad
                      Participant

Janner,

Congratulations on such wonderful news!  Most of all, thank you for all of the knowledge that you share with us each and every day.  It's amazing how much you know about this dreadful disease.  Thanks for sticking around here when many in your stage would not.

Here's to many more decades of stage 1!!!

Tricia

DebbieH
                        Participant

Congratulations Jan!  Your anniversary should make the stage 1 people very hopeful about their future as well!  Here's to NED forever for you.

Deb

DebbieH
                          Participant

Congratulations Jan!  Your anniversary should make the stage 1 people very hopeful about their future as well!  Here's to NED forever for you.

Deb

ChrisB
                            Participant

Congrats Jan!! 

Best wishes for a lifetime of NED.

Chris

ChrisB
                              Participant

Congrats Jan!! 

Best wishes for a lifetime of NED.

Chris

Kimmer
                                Participant

Jan,

You give an amazing amount of time and energy to help people.  I will always be grateful to you for helping ease my fears back in 2004 when I was first diagnosed.  You do that for everyone, with practical ease and a caring voice.

19 years is a long time…many thanks for sticking around, My Friend.

Take good care, k.

Kimmer
                                  Participant

Jan,

You give an amazing amount of time and energy to help people.  I will always be grateful to you for helping ease my fears back in 2004 when I was first diagnosed.  You do that for everyone, with practical ease and a caring voice.

19 years is a long time…many thanks for sticking around, My Friend.

Take good care, k.

Carol Taylor
                                    Participant

Wonderful news and happy 19th!  I haven't "known" you long, but I asked when I first read one of your posts if you're a doctor and you said "no."  I think you deserve an honorary doctorate…they are bestowed for generous contributions and you sure have made and continue to make generous contributions to us all every day.

Here's to your 20th, Dr. Janner.

Grace, peace, and many thanks,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                                      Participant

Wonderful news and happy 19th!  I haven't "known" you long, but I asked when I first read one of your posts if you're a doctor and you said "no."  I think you deserve an honorary doctorate…they are bestowed for generous contributions and you sure have made and continue to make generous contributions to us all every day.

Here's to your 20th, Dr. Janner.

Grace, peace, and many thanks,

Carol

King
                                        Participant

Congratulations, Janner!  I'm so happy for you.  Thank you  SO much for all that you contribute to melanoma education.  Your knowledge is awesome.

Stay Strong
                                          King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

King
                                          Participant

Congratulations, Janner!  I'm so happy for you.  Thank you  SO much for all that you contribute to melanoma education.  Your knowledge is awesome.

Stay Strong
                                            King

Stage IV  7/05 Liver mets

dian in spokane
                                            Participant

Girl!~Congrats on the Nedversary! And thank you for your continued commitment to this site, and to helping all of us melanoma patients, of every stage, understand this disease and it's particulars.

Even for higher stage patients, you have a way of cutting through the medical terminology and making things more understandable. And that is in valuable.

thank you!

Dian

Vermont_Donna
                                                Participant

Dear Janner,

Congratulations on such wonderful news. You are a wonderfully knowledgeable and compassionate woman, who is a Godsend to people on this MPIP board. Thanks for keeping on coming back, daily, and your wise posts. This place wouldnt be the same without you.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Vermont_Donna
                                                  Participant

Dear Janner,

Congratulations on such wonderful news. You are a wonderfully knowledgeable and compassionate woman, who is a Godsend to people on this MPIP board. Thanks for keeping on coming back, daily, and your wise posts. This place wouldnt be the same without you.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

dian in spokane
                                                  Participant

Girl!~Congrats on the Nedversary! And thank you for your continued commitment to this site, and to helping all of us melanoma patients, of every stage, understand this disease and it's particulars.

Even for higher stage patients, you have a way of cutting through the medical terminology and making things more understandable. And that is in valuable.

thank you!

Dian

washoegal
                                                    Participant

Congratulations!  And thanks for all that you give to the folks on the board.  You are such a valuable asset, MRF should put you on the payroll!

Mary

Stage 3

Janner
                                                        Participant

Thanks, All!  And thanks, Mary – I wish I was on the payroll since I'm out of work at the moment, lol!

Janner

Janner
                                                          Participant

Thanks, All!  And thanks, Mary – I wish I was on the payroll since I'm out of work at the moment, lol!

Janner

washoegal
                                                          Participant

Congratulations!  And thanks for all that you give to the folks on the board.  You are such a valuable asset, MRF should put you on the payroll!

Mary

Stage 3

Carver
                                                            Participant

Wooohoooo! Jan I didn't know you had posted this or I would have replied sooner. Someone told me about it so I just wanted to add my voice and let you know how happy I am that you continue to be such a great support on this board and are N.E.D. I am terrible about not checking the MPIP anymore although I think about everyone and LOVE good news. Cheers, Carver

Carver
                                                              Participant

Wooohoooo! Jan I didn't know you had posted this or I would have replied sooner. Someone told me about it so I just wanted to add my voice and let you know how happy I am that you continue to be such a great support on this board and are N.E.D. I am terrible about not checking the MPIP anymore although I think about everyone and LOVE good news. Cheers, Carver

ValinMtl
                                                                Participant

Congratulations on 19 years Janner!  You are such an integral part of this bulletin board, when I see your name, you can always be sure I'm reading what you have written. Your sound and well-researched advice always has been and continues to be appreciated.  Please stay on board here for at least another 19 years! You are so needed.  Val xx

ValinMtl
                                                                  Participant

Congratulations on 19 years Janner!  You are such an integral part of this bulletin board, when I see your name, you can always be sure I'm reading what you have written. Your sound and well-researched advice always has been and continues to be appreciated.  Please stay on board here for at least another 19 years! You are so needed.  Val xx

CKasper
                                                                    Participant

Congratulations!!!

Our numbers are growing.  First diagnosed in 1984 and it hasn't been an easy road but I'm still here.  27 years.

C

CKasper
                                                                        Participant

Forgot to tell you Stage IIIB

C

CKasper
                                                                          Participant

Forgot to tell you Stage IIIB

C

CKasper
                                                                          Participant

Congratulations!!!

Our numbers are growing.  First diagnosed in 1984 and it hasn't been an easy road but I'm still here.  27 years.

C

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics