The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Worried, Possible nodular melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Worried, Possible nodular melanoma

Participant

Hi, I'm new here, I'm 35 and live in Scotland in the UK and I am so sick with worry. Over two years ago I discovered what I thought to be an itchy sore mole just at the top of my rib cage. I thought it was being annoyed by by bra but went to the doctors and he didn't think it was a cause for concern but referred me to the dermatologist. When my appointment came through I stupidly cancelled it as it was no longer bothering me. Now just the other day I noticed it was bleeding and looked rather frightening, it looks like a nodular melanoma, it's about 5mm across and is slightly raised, it's not flat. I went to the doctors yesterday and she didn't seem to have huge concern but I don't think she was grasping the seriousness of nodular melanoma, I think she may have thought I meant a normal melanoma (which is of course also serious, I just mean for the fast spreading of nodular) (I was in a bit of a mess during the appointment and don't think I explained myself properly) what's making it worse is that I have a swelling in my neck on the left hand side, it looks to me as its my Virchows node (which isn't good) but the doctor said it was a strong or over pronounced neck muscle (it's never been like that before) When you press it it doesn't feel hard. I'm sometimes getting a tightening sensation in my neck and under my armpit. I also have a swelling in my arm crease on the opposite side of the elbow around my Supratrochlear lymph nodes, this is quite soft and hurts when pressed, the doctor said it was just fatty tissue. Added to this I have pins and needles quite often going up and down my arm on the left side and sometimes my leg. I am so scared that this is metastasised melanoma and don't know what to do. 

What did other people nodular melanoma feel like? I've done the firm test and I'm not sure what I'm looking for, how firm was it? Is it really hard feeling. Did the surface of yours feel like a spot? Do they feel smooth?

Thank you for any help or information anyone can give me.

Ive been back to the doctors and I've had bloods taken. This doctor agreed it wasn't a muscle that was sticking out on my neck and that my neck felt spongy where it was swollen 
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        MoiraM
        Participant

I am sure your doctor does grasp the seriousness of nodular melanoma. In her professional opinon, your mole does not look like a nodular melanoma.

Any enlarged lymph nodes are much more likely to be because of an infection than melanoma.

You are having blood tests because you are worried.

Have you asked to see a dermatologist again to put your mind at rest?

I think you are linking up three separate things.

(1) A changing mole that was worth having checked.

(2) The senations we all have but usually ignore (like the pins and needles) – these can become more acute if you are stressed

(3) Information from the internet.

It is likely that none of these things are actually linked.

MoiraM
          Participant

I am sure your doctor does grasp the seriousness of nodular melanoma. In her professional opinon, your mole does not look like a nodular melanoma.

Any enlarged lymph nodes are much more likely to be because of an infection than melanoma.

(2) The senations we all have but usually ignore (like the pins and needles) – these can become more acute if you are stressed

Roni25
              Participant

Thanks for your reply. I've been fast tracked for an appointment at the dermatologist. I do have to stay off the internet, it really isn't helping. Just when I read about Virchows node swelling all the information points out it is usually metastasis from cancer not much else. I guess now all I can do is wait and stop searching my symptoms.

I'm just wondering if I could ask anyone who has had nodular melanoma what the suspicious looking mole felt like please? I've tried the Firm test by pushing it with my finger but I'm wondering how "firm" they actually feel, are the hard? What do they feel like to the touch?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

mkirkland
                Participant

Hi! I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma July 2015. I am 32 years old! Mine was on the top of my right foot. To me mine looked like a fluid filled mole. It was raise off the foot. It was a medium tan color – never odd shaped and never black. It was soft to touch but petty tight filling. I have had two surgeries in my foot, skin graft and had one positive lymph node at my right groin. I had my lymph nodes removed in September and just finished 4 rounds of yervoy. Sending well wishes your way! Feel free to email anytime if u have questions. [email protected] 

mkirkland
                  Participant

Hi! I was diagnosed with nodular melanoma July 2015. I am 32 years old! Mine was on the top of my right foot. To me mine looked like a fluid filled mole. It was raise off the foot. It was a medium tan color – never odd shaped and never black. It was soft to touch but petty tight filling. I have had two surgeries in my foot, skin graft and had one positive lymph node at my right groin. I had my lymph nodes removed in September and just finished 4 rounds of yervoy. Sending well wishes your way! Feel free to email anytime if u have questions. [email protected] 

mkirkland
                    Participant

Roni25
                      Participant

Thank you for your reply and hope everything is well with you. Mines feels smooth but I don't think it feels firm. I'm now experiencing a lot of swelling in my neck, almost like oedema, only on the left and front left side just now and still in around the Virchows node, it is really concerning me.

Roni25
                        Participant

Thank you for your reply and hope everything is well with you. Mines feels smooth but I don't think it feels firm. I'm now experiencing a lot of swelling in my neck, almost like oedema, only on the left and front left side just now and still in around the Virchows node, it is really concerning me.

UriahPH
                          Participant

Hey sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm in a similar boat currently waiting for my mole to be removed. I'm also extremely concerned with Nodular Melanoma and I've been having neck and brain symptoms like tinnitus etc. 

I also have had bad anxiety and I will link symptoms and nobody understands that feeling unless they have been through it. It's hard to find quality information on Nodular Melanoma especially in detail how it feels. Some people say it fills hard as a rock. I think all raises moles have a degree of firmness.

The annoying thing about living in the UK is everything is done through our GP, we can't just pop in to see a Derm without going silly expensive with private; which sucks.

I wish you all the best and I hope everything gets sorted soon. 

UriahPH
                            Participant

Hey sorry to hear you are going through this. I'm in a similar boat currently waiting for my mole to be removed. I'm also extremely concerned with Nodular Melanoma and I've been having neck and brain symptoms like tinnitus etc. 

I also have had bad anxiety and I will link symptoms and nobody understands that feeling unless they have been through it. It's hard to find quality information on Nodular Melanoma especially in detail how it feels. Some people say it fills hard as a rock. I think all raises moles have a degree of firmness.

The annoying thing about living in the UK is everything is done through our GP, we can't just pop in to see a Derm without going silly expensive with private; which sucks.

UriahPH
                              Participant

UriahPH
                                Participant

UriahPH
                                  Participant

Roni25
                                    Participant

Hi, sorry to hear you are in the same boat. Since posting this my neck swelled up further after I had been lying down from sleeping, it was in my face, under my chin and all down my left side. The pins and needles and tightening feelings were out of contro, over my head, scalp and face. I had the symptoms of lymphodema, even my throat was aching, I couldn't understand why this was happening, I saw another doctor last night and he is stumped as to what is wrong and why I would be having these symptoms. I don't have a tempreture or a sore throat, my lungs sounded fine and he did an exam on me, couldn't feel anything. I guess I'll just have to wait on my bloods coming back hopefully early this week. Thankfully I never had swelling last night so I don't have a clue as to what is going on.

What other symptoms have you had? I hope everything goes really well with your appointment and results. I had looked at going private but your right, the costs are extortionate. 

Roni25
                                      Participant

Hi, sorry to hear you are in the same boat. Since posting this my neck swelled up further after I had been lying down from sleeping, it was in my face, under my chin and all down my left side. The pins and needles and tightening feelings were out of contro, over my head, scalp and face. I had the symptoms of lymphodema, even my throat was aching, I couldn't understand why this was happening, I saw another doctor last night and he is stumped as to what is wrong and why I would be having these symptoms. I don't have a tempreture or a sore throat, my lungs sounded fine and he did an exam on me, couldn't feel anything. I guess I'll just have to wait on my bloods coming back hopefully early this week. Thankfully I never had swelling last night so I don't have a clue as to what is going on.

What other symptoms have you had? I hope everything goes really well with your appointment and results. I had looked at going private but your right, the costs are extortionate. 

Roni25
                                        Participant

UriahPH
                                          Participant

MoiraM
                                            Participant

I read up about the Virchows node for you. From what I undertand, that node is associated with lymphatic drainage from the abdomen. Yes, it can be where cancers that have started in the abdomen spread. However, it also swells up for a number of other reasons, including inflection.

I must ask this. Are you poking the area a lot? If you are, you could be producing a local response, like what happens to your skin when you scratch it.

You really have to stop self-diagnosing. You have a mole that you are worried about (although none of the doctors who have seen it are particularly concerned). You have a plan. You are seeing a dermatologist. The mole wil be examined. Probably, given the level of your anxiety, it will be removed and sent off to pathology. You will get a report.

This is all going to take weeks.

All I can suggest is that you make another appointment with your GP about the swelling in your neck. However two doctors have seen it in the last few days and neither of them were worried by it.

I do think a doctor would recognise a tumour in your lymph nodes by touch.

Roni25
                                              Participant

Hello Moira thank you for your reply. I know I must sound completely irrational and a lot of you on here will probably have been in this position, I'll try my best to take on your advice, ultimately worrying isn't really going to do me any good, so I'll try my best to distract myself.

I'll admit that i have checked myself over but not over excessively but then the doctors have been pressing around too so I don't imagine that will have helped. 

I'm not very good with needles etc and the thought of being cut open (even a little) while awake fills me with fear, that's why I happily never went the last time when I thought everything was alright. 

thanks once again for your words and I hope that everything is well with you.

Roni25
                                                Participant

Hello Moira thank you for your reply. I know I must sound completely irrational and a lot of you on here will probably have been in this position, I'll try my best to take on your advice, ultimately worrying isn't really going to do me any good, so I'll try my best to distract myself.

I'll admit that i have checked myself over but not over excessively but then the doctors have been pressing around too so I don't imagine that will have helped. 

I'm not very good with needles etc and the thought of being cut open (even a little) while awake fills me with fear, that's why I happily never went the last time when I thought everything was alright. 

Roni25
                                                  Participant

MoiraM
                                                    Participant

I am OK. My melanoma has responded to immunotherapy (Ipi/Yervoy) and now it is a matter of seeing how far that gets me. For some people, an Ipi response means the disease goes away for years. For others it comes back. I have scans every three months at the moment. My next one is a week on Monday.

Each one of us is different. For me, my fear of doctors and hospitals far outweighs any fear of the melanoma.

I have a very good app for my Android phone that helps me avoid panic attacks. It helps me control my breathing and is part of my 'toolbox' for controlling my phobia. It is called 'Breath' 'Relaxation Breathing' and it is by Agile Sumo.

You might like to try it.

My psychologist reminded me that you should always exhale for longer than you breathe in, or you can hyperventilate. I have it set inhale = 3 seconds, hold = 1 second, exhale = 4 seconds.

MoiraM
                                                      Participant

I am OK. My melanoma has responded to immunotherapy (Ipi/Yervoy) and now it is a matter of seeing how far that gets me. For some people, an Ipi response means the disease goes away for years. For others it comes back. I have scans every three months at the moment. My next one is a week on Monday.

Each one of us is different. For me, my fear of doctors and hospitals far outweighs any fear of the melanoma.

I have a very good app for my Android phone that helps me avoid panic attacks. It helps me control my breathing and is part of my 'toolbox' for controlling my phobia. It is called 'Breath' 'Relaxation Breathing' and it is by Agile Sumo.

My psychologist reminded me that you should always exhale for longer than you breathe in, or you can hyperventilate. I have it set inhale = 3 seconds, hold = 1 second, exhale = 4 seconds.

MoiraM
                                                        Participant

Roni25
                                                          Participant

Thank you Moira, I will give that a try. I always forget to breathe properly.

Glad to hear that you are ok and I wish you all the best for your scan on Monday.

Roni25
                                                            Participant

Glad to hear that you are ok and I wish you all the best for your scan on Monday.

Roni25
                                                              Participant

MoiraM
                                                                Participant

I read up about the Virchows node for you. From what I undertand, that node is associated with lymphatic drainage from the abdomen. Yes, it can be where cancers that have started in the abdomen spread. However, it also swells up for a number of other reasons, including inflection.

I must ask this. Are you poking the area a lot? If you are, you could be producing a local response, like what happens to your skin when you scratch it.

You really have to stop self-diagnosing. You have a mole that you are worried about (although none of the doctors who have seen it are particularly concerned). You have a plan. You are seeing a dermatologist. The mole wil be examined. Probably, given the level of your anxiety, it will be removed and sent off to pathology. You will get a report.

All I can suggest is that you make another appointment with your GP about the swelling in your neck. However two doctors have seen it in the last few days and neither of them were worried by it.

MoiraM
                                                                  Participant

Roni25
                                                                    Participant

Roni25
                                                                      Participant

Thanks for your reply. I've been fast tracked for an appointment at the dermatologist. I do have to stay off the internet, it really isn't helping. Just when I read about Virchows node swelling all the information points out it is usually metastasis from cancer not much else. I guess now all I can do is wait and stop searching my symptoms.

I'm just wondering if I could ask anyone who has had nodular melanoma what the suspicious looking mole felt like please? I've tried the Firm test by pushing it with my finger but I'm wondering how "firm" they actually feel, are the hard? What do they feel like to the touch?

Roni25
                                                                        Participant

MoiraM
                                                                        Participant

Polymath
                                                                          Participant

Hi Roni,

One question seemed to have not been clearly answered in this thread.  Melanoma tumors are indeed very hard.  I have had several sub-cutaneous tumors, ones you literally can get your fingers around.  They are almost rock-like, which has been confirmed by my specialist.  I've had punch biopsies conducted during a trial, and the tumor material is very dark in color, almost black.  What you describe sounds like inflammations which should be somewhat easily treated. Best to you.

Gary

Polymath
                                                                            Participant

Hi Roni,

One question seemed to have not been clearly answered in this thread.  Melanoma tumors are indeed very hard.  I have had several sub-cutaneous tumors, ones you literally can get your fingers around.  They are almost rock-like, which has been confirmed by my specialist.  I've had punch biopsies conducted during a trial, and the tumor material is very dark in color, almost black.  What you describe sounds like inflammations which should be somewhat easily treated. Best to you.

Gary

Polymath
                                                                              Participant

Hi Roni,

Gary

Roni25
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Gary, thank you for your reply and sorry to hear you've had several of these tumours. I'm sending my best wishes to you.

Roni25
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Gary, thank you for your reply and sorry to hear you've had several of these tumours. I'm sending my best wishes to you.

Roni25
                                                                                      Participant

Squash
                                                                                        Participant

I had an amelanotic nodular melanoma and it was white and soft and mushy. Subsequent tumours appeared much the same.

Squash
                                                                                          Participant

I had an amelanotic nodular melanoma and it was white and soft and mushy. Subsequent tumours appeared much the same.

Squash
                                                                                            Participant

Anie2294
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Did you ever get a diagnosis? Currently on the same boat 😞
                                                                                          Viewing 6 reply threads
                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics