The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

working on opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community working on opdivo

Participant

Hello, Im new here and I was wondering if anyone has worked while going through opdivo treatment, because I will be starting soon and would love to get back to work. I just finished 33 treatments of radiation so Im home at the moment. I will be doing every two weeks for a year.  The Dr told me to wait atleast a month to see how I feel and Im praying I can go back after that 1 month. 

Thank you 

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant

I'm coming up on 4 months of either Opdivo or Opdivo/Yervoy (blind trial).  I think I'm a little stiffer and itchier than when I began, but I've yet to miss a day of work (other than the time for the infusions itself).

Susanlee528
          Participant

I am on my fourth month of Opdivo. I make sure to get my treatments on Fridays because I can’t do anything for two days after each infusion. I sleep most of the following 24-36 hours. Other than that, work isn’t a problem for me. 

Amanda_3784
              Participant

Thank you, I'm going to see if I can have treatments on Fridays. That's a good idea

Bubbles
              Participant

I was on nivo from Dec 2010 – June 2013.  I worked 12 h shifts on mon, tue, wed.  My infusions were on Friday and I had to travel for my care.  I missed 3 days during those years.  It wasn't easy.  I am very stubborn.  Possibly should have taken more time off.  But my operating premise remains:  Melanoma will not take my life, until it TAKES my life.  That said, things are different for different folks.  Some in my trial had to be on disability.  Others got their infusion on their lunch break and went back to work once the infusion was complete.  I wish you my best.  Celeste

Amanda_3784
                  Participant

Thank you Celeste, I'm stubborn too and know I will be working through it. I don't like being home and love to work and especially it keeps your mind busy and being around friendly people lift your spirits. 

bjeans
                  Participant

My husband is on Nivo or Nivo/Ipi and has not had to miss work. He scheduled infusions for Fridays just in case, but afterwards drives to an office not from from the malanoma center instead of his regular office that’s farther away. But that’s to be able to start working sooner than if he drove into the city, battling traffic, not because of feeling badly. 

He started getting gut side effects with the third or fifth infusion (blinded study so depends on which study arm), but with prescribed meds and planning it hasn’t interfered much, though his doc had him skip his last infusion. He does not think he’s experienced fatigue though since he’s a big napper, may have napped through some fatigue. It doesn’t seem like it though.

Welcome, good luck, and consider completing your profile so members can easily help down the road if you have questions or concerns.

Beth

JuTMSY4
                    Participant

Probably fair to say your mileage will vary.  Some folks have significant reactions and probably need some serious time off, some (like in here) have friday treaments and can handle work by monday and some, like me, have very limited reactions/side effects and go back to work the next day (or into work if I have it in the AM).

You best bet is to hope for the best but plan for the worst to the extent you can. I believe the percentages bear out that it's more likely than not you will be able to, but it's somewhat hard to predict.  good luck!

guynamedbilly
                      Participant

I've been getting it every two weeks since August 2017.  I have to miss on the infusion day for sure, but I've never had to miss because of the drug side effects.  It makes me tired sometimes, and I've been itchy occasionally, but nothing bad enough to skip.

kcmtnbiker
                        Participant

I did 37 biweekly treatments on Opdivo and worked the entire time. I had some fatigue, but it was managable. Everyone has different impacts from the Opdivo, I found that having to get up and go to work made the treament impacts much more manageable. It would have been easy to veg out in front of the TV. My coping included getting a good nights rest – about 6 to 7 hours, taking vitaimin B, D and a probiotic. 

Good luck on your treatment.

Justiceforgingers
                            Participant

I agree with kcmtnbiker on what was posted.  I am currenlty on treatment  19 of 26 bi weekly opdivo and have not had this impact my work schedule too much. I have tried to schedule my treatments early in the morning where I could make it to work by noon or 1pm.  I have found that if I am mentally and physically active at work the day of treatment I am able to tolerate it a little better and I bounce back quicker. Some B12 drops help boost your energy through the day on treatment days and dont be afraid to be in bed by 6 or 7pm that day.  There have only been one or two days where I am not motivated to do that and I stay home, the key is to listen to your body.  There is hope and always keep pushing forward!

Amanda_3784
                            Participant
                              I would like to thank everyone for sharing there experiences, I really appreciate it.
                              aldrichdesigner
                              Participant
                                Amanda,

I think the experience is different for everyone. I’m not on nivo but I am on keytruda/pembro and I can safely say that the side effects have become too much for me to be working. I currently am working 32 hours a week down from 40 but am looking into disability and taking off full time.

I’ve had what I would consider a really rough time on these meds. I don’t know what is normal but I am basically in pain all the time it’s just a matter of how much and I’m on so many pills to fight all my levels and side effects that I’m walking around in a daze most of the time and if I’m in a chair or laying down it really doesn’t matter, I turn into practically a narcoleptic and can fall asleep on a whim. I’ve already fallen asleep at my office desk a multitude of time since beginning treatment. I’ve been on keytruda/pembro for 14 treatments on just under a year of being out of radiation.

Another thing is that 33 radiation treatments is a hell of a lot of radiation. You may even have lasting side effects from that as well. I know my spine/neck radiation definitely caused some lingering effects for a month or two at least. It kinda becomes a blur after a while. I know my story is unique and has been one of the tougher melanoma roads but that doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t react like me.

Anyway, good luck too you. I hope everyone has no side effects at all because it definitely sucks. But I just tell myself that I want to live more than I want to die and I’ve got too many things to do in this life to be giving up already.

Amanda_3784
                                  Participant

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sorry to hear your having a rough time and I wish you the best of luck. 

betsyl
                                    Participant

My husband was one Keytruda for about 18 months. He's had on/off bouts of intense fatique and muscle/joint pain. He has continued to work, because 1) he's a workaholic, and 2) he has a sit-down job with flexible hours that allow him to go out to his car or go home and nap whenever needed. After napping, he's right back at it. Whether it adds up to more or less than 8 hours a day is sort of irrelevant, because he's somehow very productive. 

Justiceforgingers
                                    Participant

I agree with kcmtnbiker on what was posted.  I am currenlty on treatment  19 of 26 bi weekly opdivo and have not had this impact my work schedule too much. I have tried to schedule my treatments early in the morning where I could make it to work by noon or 1pm.  I have found that if I am mentally and physically active at work the day of treatment I am able to tolerate it a little better and I bounce back quicker. Some B12 drops help boost your energy through the day on treatment days and dont be afraid to be in bed by 6 or 7pm that day.  There have only been one or two days where I am not motivated to do that and I stay home, the key is to listen to your body.  There is hope and always keep pushing forward!

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics