The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Woes at MD Anderson (updated info)

Forums General Melanoma Community Woes at MD Anderson (updated info)

Participant

Dissatisfaction with the institution’s president Ronald DePinho 
      and his top executives—at a time when the administration is pressing 
      the faculty to meet aggressive financial targets that critics say are 
      unrealistic.

Dissatisfaction with the institution’s president Ronald DePinho 
      and his top executives—at a time when the administration is pressing 
      the faculty to meet aggressive financial targets that critics say are 
      unrealistic.

——————————————

Here is a link to where there are problems.

http://www.cancerletter.com/articles/20130118_1

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

It sounds like things are in a state of change. No one likes change, especially if it's drastic in their eyes. I think the dust will eventually settle and everything will go on business as usual.

Linny
          Participant

It sounds like things are in a state of change. No one likes change, especially if it's drastic in their eyes. I think the dust will eventually settle and everything will go on business as usual.

Linny
            Participant

Phil S
              Participant
                Gene S, I never get your angle and/or agenda with your posts!! So, a large medical institution like MDAnderson has some morale and financials issues, no real surprises there! My husband’s care has been at Sloane Kettering, Yale, Dana Farber, and MDAnderson, and I would assume they all have financial issues, it’s 2013 and money and medical care are a changing! On this Board, people like to focus on medical care and on keeping melanoma patients alive. Our personal experience is that MDAnderson provides top notch nursing care, we received excellent care during my husband’s eight hospital stays last year. The nurses never complained, and they all seemed committed to their caring profession and their patients. I never heard one talk negatively about their employer. Also, we were given the TIL trial at MDAnderson even though my husband had a history of brain mets, clearly something NIH is reluctant to do. All the doctors seemed committed to giving Phil a chance to fight this horrible disease. Every institution has it’s pros and cons, it’s the nature of big business. And, every patient and caregiver needs to stay on top of their own medical care, no matter where they are treated. But, we would return to MDAnderson for treatment again in a heartbeat, and I totally credit their Care last year, with my husband’s current health. He is still standing, thanks to them! Valerie (Phil’s wife)

Phil S
                Participant
                  Gene S, I never get your angle and/or agenda with your posts!! So, a large medical institution like MDAnderson has some morale and financials issues, no real surprises there! My husband’s care has been at Sloane Kettering, Yale, Dana Farber, and MDAnderson, and I would assume they all have financial issues, it’s 2013 and money and medical care are a changing! On this Board, people like to focus on medical care and on keeping melanoma patients alive. Our personal experience is that MDAnderson provides top notch nursing care, we received excellent care during my husband’s eight hospital stays last year. The nurses never complained, and they all seemed committed to their caring profession and their patients. I never heard one talk negatively about their employer. Also, we were given the TIL trial at MDAnderson even though my husband had a history of brain mets, clearly something NIH is reluctant to do. All the doctors seemed committed to giving Phil a chance to fight this horrible disease. Every institution has it’s pros and cons, it’s the nature of big business. And, every patient and caregiver needs to stay on top of their own medical care, no matter where they are treated. But, we would return to MDAnderson for treatment again in a heartbeat, and I totally credit their Care last year, with my husband’s current health. He is still standing, thanks to them! Valerie (Phil’s wife)

Phil S
                  Participant

Beth
                    Participant

Well said Valerie!

vivian
                        Participant

On the other hand, I really appreciate Gene's posts, even when I don't agree with them.  I believe she/he is the type of person who feels the responsibility to let others know about new information and research.  I am the same and have said to people that they should get something checked – like ugly lesions on places they can't possibly see.   The reaction is rarely appreciative, but gosh, I really wish someone had told me about the place on my back before it got to the killer state.  It would be hard for me to just stand by and watch someone get sick in ignorance.  I also wish my family had known that where you are treated for cancer is hugely important before both my dad and mom died young, probably way sooner than necessary.

Those of us who have found this site are obviously in search of information.   When it comes to melanoma, good news is pretty rare, and we are so grateful for any we can get.  Please be grateful for all information and help, even if it  isn't positive at the moment.  Who knows what might save your life!

vivian
                          Participant

On the other hand, I really appreciate Gene's posts, even when I don't agree with them.  I believe she/he is the type of person who feels the responsibility to let others know about new information and research.  I am the same and have said to people that they should get something checked – like ugly lesions on places they can't possibly see.   The reaction is rarely appreciative, but gosh, I really wish someone had told me about the place on my back before it got to the killer state.  It would be hard for me to just stand by and watch someone get sick in ignorance.  I also wish my family had known that where you are treated for cancer is hugely important before both my dad and mom died young, probably way sooner than necessary.

Those of us who have found this site are obviously in search of information.   When it comes to melanoma, good news is pretty rare, and we are so grateful for any we can get.  Please be grateful for all information and help, even if it  isn't positive at the moment.  Who knows what might save your life!

vivian
                            Participant

Beth
                            Participant

Well said Valerie!

Beth
                              Participant

Well said Valerie!

Theresa123
                                Participant

I appreciate information, even if it is negative.  All information is useful.  Thank you for posting this.

Theresa123
                                  Participant

I appreciate information, even if it is negative.  All information is useful.  Thank you for posting this.

Theresa123
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics