The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

WLE and SLN Biopsy recovery time.

Forums General Melanoma Community WLE and SLN Biopsy recovery time.

Participant

Good afternoon,

I am due to have a wide local excision and sentinel lymph node biopsy done on 6/19.  I asked my surgical oncologist about recovery time, but he said it just depends on once he gets in there and how big the incision ends up being.

Can some of you lovely folks share with me how your recovery went?  And how long until you felt ok to go back to work?

Thank you and God Bless

Lisa

p.s.   the site is on my left inner leg by my knee where it bends, and the doctor said the lymph node biopsy will likely be the lymph nodes in my left groin.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        khimes
        Participant

Hi Lisa,  I had very similar procedures about a month ago.  Right lower leg, WLE and a SNB in right groin.

My recovery went very well.  The WLE had no issues with little pain.  The SNB, 2 nodes, was a little more sore, very managable.  I think i was out of work for no more than 3-4 days….being extra careful with minimal pain meds.  Yoiu might have more problem with the area being where your leg bends just being more difficult for bandage and mobility.

I hope your recovery goes as well as mine.

Best of luck and prayers for you, Ken

khimes
          Participant

Hi Lisa,  I had very similar procedures about a month ago.  Right lower leg, WLE and a SNB in right groin.

My recovery went very well.  The WLE had no issues with little pain.  The SNB, 2 nodes, was a little more sore, very managable.  I think i was out of work for no more than 3-4 days….being extra careful with minimal pain meds.  Yoiu might have more problem with the area being where your leg bends just being more difficult for bandage and mobility.

las630
              Participant

Thank you very much for the input Ken!  God Bless  πŸ™‚

las630
                Participant

las630
                  Participant

khimes
                  Participant

5dives
                    Participant

Hi Lisa, 

My WLE was next to my right knee and my node was taken from my right groin. I agree that the WLE was not painful at all and it just took a while for me to be able to bend it properly. The node was more sore, bit not serious. I took pain meds for 2 days and then started to reduce those. For me, the worst part was the pain meds, which made me nauseated.

Don't rush your recovery. Your body deserves a chance to heal, and so do you! πŸ™‚

My surgery was 7/10/14 and I am stage 3b. Have been just fine so far! 

All the best, 

Elaine

Treadlightly
                        Participant

The SNB is not a difficult recovery, so long as you don't have any major complications. The procedure kills the nerve endings in the immediate area, so I never had any pain from my SNB. Also, I did not find it to cause any mobility issues. The WLE is another story. I believe I took heavy pain Meds (Tylonol with Codine) for at least 3 or 4 days afterwards. You won't be able to work while on the pain Meds, but once you stop them and can manage with just extra strength Tylonol, you should be able to go back to work. I didn't catch what you do, but I am assuming it isn't too strenuous, otherwise, more time might be prudent.

Mark from California (2A)

Treadlightly
                          Participant

The SNB is not a difficult recovery, so long as you don't have any major complications. The procedure kills the nerve endings in the immediate area, so I never had any pain from my SNB. Also, I did not find it to cause any mobility issues. The WLE is another story. I believe I took heavy pain Meds (Tylonol with Codine) for at least 3 or 4 days afterwards. You won't be able to work while on the pain Meds, but once you stop them and can manage with just extra strength Tylonol, you should be able to go back to work. I didn't catch what you do, but I am assuming it isn't too strenuous, otherwise, more time might be prudent.

Treadlightly
                            Participant

las630
                              Participant

Thank you very much Mark!  God Bless!

las630
                                Participant

las630
                                  Participant

las630
                                    Participant

Thank you very much for the information Elaine!  πŸ™‚  God Bless 

las630
                                      Participant

las630
                                        Participant

5dives
                                        Participant

Hi Lisa, 

My WLE was next to my right knee and my node was taken from my right groin. I agree that the WLE was not painful at all and it just took a while for me to be able to bend it properly. The node was more sore, bit not serious. I took pain meds for 2 days and then started to reduce those. For me, the worst part was the pain meds, which made me nauseated.

Don't rush your recovery. Your body deserves a chance to heal, and so do you! πŸ™‚

All the best, 

Elaine

5dives
                                          Participant

Hi Lisa, 

All the best, 

Elaine

Colleen66
                                            Participant

Hi Lisa.  My primary was also inside left leg at the knee.  My primary was 4.45 mm and the WLE incision was 7" long, stitches and staples.  The skin was pulled very tight to close at the knee.  I had to wear a foam leg brace (to keep leg straight, for a week and the site was painful.  Was told not to drive for (I think) 10 days. The SNB incision was about 2" stitched and glued closed.  Minimal pain but you may develop a seroma which can be uncomfortable but can be drained if too bad.  My recovery was more like 3 weeks.

Good Luck

Colleen66
                                              Participant

Hi Lisa.  My primary was also inside left leg at the knee.  My primary was 4.45 mm and the WLE incision was 7" long, stitches and staples.  The skin was pulled very tight to close at the knee.  I had to wear a foam leg brace (to keep leg straight, for a week and the site was painful.  Was told not to drive for (I think) 10 days. The SNB incision was about 2" stitched and glued closed.  Minimal pain but you may develop a seroma which can be uncomfortable but can be drained if too bad.  My recovery was more like 3 weeks.

Good Luck

las630
                                                  Participant

Yikes!  thank you for sharing.  God Bless

las630
                                                    Participant

las630
                                                      Participant

Colleen66
                                                      Participant

Good Luck

Janner
                                                        Participant

You don't state how deep your primary was – that can make a difference.  Two of your respondees had stage II lesions at the start which require 2cm margins.  Lesions under 2mm only require 1cm margins.  That makes a difference on the size of the WLE defect.

I haven't had an SNB, but I've had maybe 10 WLE – 3 for melanoma primaries (1cm margins) and the rest for atypical moles.  I have found them to be "inconvenient" but I've never had to take heavy drugs.  In fact, for my first primary, I went back to work right after the procedure.  Since I have a sit down job and my lesion was on my shin, I just kept it elevated.  I've never taken more than the day of the procedure off.  I've had two other WLE on my lower legs, one just below the knee toward the inside and the other on the inside between shin and calf.  They were all quite tight and care is needed not to pop the stitches, but I found them all quite easy to deal with. 

Best wishes!

Janner
                                                          Participant

You don't state how deep your primary was – that can make a difference.  Two of your respondees had stage II lesions at the start which require 2cm margins.  Lesions under 2mm only require 1cm margins.  That makes a difference on the size of the WLE defect.

I haven't had an SNB, but I've had maybe 10 WLE – 3 for melanoma primaries (1cm margins) and the rest for atypical moles.  I have found them to be "inconvenient" but I've never had to take heavy drugs.  In fact, for my first primary, I went back to work right after the procedure.  Since I have a sit down job and my lesion was on my shin, I just kept it elevated.  I've never taken more than the day of the procedure off.  I've had two other WLE on my lower legs, one just below the knee toward the inside and the other on the inside between shin and calf.  They were all quite tight and care is needed not to pop the stitches, but I found them all quite easy to deal with. 

Best wishes!

las630
                                                              Participant

Thank you for the information.  When you say "how deep the primary is", are you talking about the Breslow thickness they gave me?  They did a shave biopsy of a mole on my leg, and the path report was Breslow 1.2, ulceration, non-brisk TILs, 2-3 mitoses per mm2.  Does that sound promising? 

Thank you for any information you can provide  πŸ™‚

Lisa

las630
                                                                Participant

Thank you for the information.  When you say "how deep the primary is", are you talking about the Breslow thickness they gave me?  They did a shave biopsy of a mole on my leg, and the path report was Breslow 1.2, ulceration, non-brisk TILs, 2-3 mitoses per mm2.  Does that sound promising? 

Lisa

las630
                                                                  Participant

Lisa

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Best wishes!

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics