The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Will lymph nodes swell

Forums General Melanoma Community Will lymph nodes swell

Participant
      If melanoma has spread to inguinal lymph nodes, will they eventually swell?
    Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        sks2019
        Participant
          yes they can but not guaranteed , My mom was dx wiht vaginal melanoma in Oct 2018, with metastisis to lymph nodes, inguinal was involved too, by dec 2018 one of her lymph nodes was swollen but others were not. After one month the lymph node had shrunk to half the size without any treatment.
            chelstarr
            Participant
              oh interesting…but at half the size, was it still more swollen than the other “normal” nodes?
              chelstarr
              Participant
                and when it was really swollen, was it visibly swollen, like you could see it was swollen just by looking at it?
              Bubbles
              Participant
                I have had nodes that were positive for melanoma. They were not perceptibly swollen at all. Further, as a Stage IV melanoma patient, I can also report that NONE of my melanoma lesions have caused me pain. Granted when lesions are large and press on things they shouldn’t, pain can certainly develop, but it is not usually an initial symptom of melanoma.

Rather than work yourself into a frenzy over unknowns, it would be far better to have the lesion you mentioned you were concerned about in your prior post biopsied. It is something that can be done relatively quickly, is only a minor discomfort and inconvenience – and then you will know if you have something you need to worry about or not. As Ann also shared with you – no matter what you describe to us of this forum or even to a doctor in the same room with you – none of us can tell you for certain what a lesion is until it is biopsied. I wish you my best. Celeste

chelstarr
                  Participant
                    Thank you for this. I am concerned that the lesion would not be easily biopsied, as it is tiny and so close to bone. What type of doctor would be the one to biopsy it? I don’t think my dermatologist would feel comfortable doing that.
                    ed williams
                    Participant
                      Hi Chelstarr, when my engine light on my car comes on I go see a Honda mechanic, when I have a leak in the washroom I call a plumber, when a mole needs to be looked at under a microscope to see if it is actually melanoma and that I should be concerned, I go see a dermatologist. All other concerns, questions and worry are pointless until you actual know if you have melanoma and the only and I mean only way to know is under high power with a very expensive microscope and even then the experts often consult with other experts when pathology slides are not clear. Any one that can tell you if it is melanoma without following the basic path of biopsy, make a stained slide then microscope is just guessing or giving an educated guess.
                      MelanomaMike
                      Participant
                        Well said Ed, but, im truelly sorry about your Honda’s Check Engine Light coming on all the time, thats Honda for ya’s…they do make EXCELLENT dirt bikes!…
                  Viewing 1 reply thread
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics