The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Which is it?

Forums General Melanoma Community Which is it?

Participant

It’s so confusing.  I read a Duke study (2003) that basically says up to 15% of thin lesions less than 1mm will recur/mestastasize; but, then I put my info into the melanoma outcome calculator and it basically says it “only” shortens my life expectancy by less than a year.  Which is it? 

It’s so confusing.  I read a Duke study (2003) that basically says up to 15% of thin lesions less than 1mm will recur/mestastasize; but, then I put my info into the melanoma outcome calculator and it basically says it “only” shortens my life expectancy by less than a year.  Which is it? 

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Harry in Fair Oaks
        Participant

It's both – and it makes perfect sense.  For the large majority of people with thin primaries, their melanoma will not shorten their lives by a single day.  For the few who will die from it, their lives can be shortened by many years.  You put it all together and average it, and you get that "less than a year."  It's really a meaningless prognostication for any individual.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
          Participant

It's both – and it makes perfect sense.  For the large majority of people with thin primaries, their melanoma will not shorten their lives by a single day.  For the few who will die from it, their lives can be shortened by many years.  You put it all together and average it, and you get that "less than a year."  It's really a meaningless prognostication for any individual.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
            Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

JC
              Participant

Is it known, though, which advanced cases were diagnosed initially as advanced versus started out at early stage and progressed?

JC
                Participant

Is it known, though, which advanced cases were diagnosed initially as advanced versus started out at early stage and progressed?

JC
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics