The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Where to send biopsy for second opinion

Forums General Melanoma Community Where to send biopsy for second opinion

Participant
      I was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to send biopsy slides for a second opinion? I asked my dermatologist’s secretary and she acted like that was a very unusual request. I’m having a hard time finding anything useful when searching so any recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        dmp
        Participant

You don't say where you are from, but I from my limited experience I would go with MD Anderson or Mayo.  I am in the Cleveland, OH area, so I have been going to the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals here did a second opinion that included reviewing the slides.  

Other, more experienced, folks may have better recommendations.  

-D

MichelleRHG
          Participant
            This just happened to a friend, actually. A mole biopsy came back benign for her daughter, she was not comfortable with that, contacted another local derm who sends slides to a dermatopathologist (the first one read them himself), had slide sent to that derm who sent it on. Came back with enough atypical cells to warrant wider excision. Note: she had an history already with 2nd derm and was a patient if record. Not sure you could randomly send a slide to another doc otherwise. I know at MDA they requested all my former slides/tissues before my initial visit so they could read them themselves.
            JC
            Participant

Martin Mihm

A
                Participant

Mihm works in Mass General Hospital/Dana Farber.

Marksa2570
                Participant

Yes… Dr Mihm.       You can google his work. He was very helpful to me.    He is in the NE somewhere I believe.      

Photopassion
                  Participant
                    Thank you for the recommendation. I checked out his website and that’s exactly what I was hoping to find. Now if I can just get my dermatologist to get the slides there…
                    jenny22
                    Participant

Martin Mihm is the guru on this area……in boston at Brigham and Womens/Dana Farber

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics