The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

When do you learn to live??

Forums General Melanoma Community When do you learn to live??

Participant

Hi guys 

hope every one is well! Iv been really struggling the last few days I watched one of my best friends get married at the weekend and was an amazing day, I now have got down as I can't even imagine getting married or having kids it's making me really sad. When does this get easier? I'm still so New to this and with new subq still popping up I am loosing faith and I don't want to be like this. What helps you guys? Xx

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Nicky
        Participant

Hi Kelly, I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so down.  It is good that you have found this forum as it can offer such wonderful support and friendship. After battling this disease for 15 years, currently Stage IIIb, I remember contacting my local cancer council which offered free counselling and I found that really helpful when I was first diagnosed as friends and family don't always understand what you are going through. It gave me the tools to remain positive and determined to make changes like reducing stress to give my immune system the best support it could get. If you have this in your area or through a hospital I would recommend it.   Take care of yourself and I wish you all the best.

Nicky
          Participant

Hi Kelly, I'm sorry to hear that you are feeling so down.  It is good that you have found this forum as it can offer such wonderful support and friendship. After battling this disease for 15 years, currently Stage IIIb, I remember contacting my local cancer council which offered free counselling and I found that really helpful when I was first diagnosed as friends and family don't always understand what you are going through. It gave me the tools to remain positive and determined to make changes like reducing stress to give my immune system the best support it could get. If you have this in your area or through a hospital I would recommend it.   Take care of yourself and I wish you all the best.

Nicky
            Participant

mary1233
              Participant

Kelly – My heart goes out to you.

All I can say is that it is a process. Even now, after just one episode, and being 2 1/2 years NED, I cannot even tell anyone about  this without tearing up. And yet, I am more optimistic now than I ever have been before because of the advances in immunotherapy. To paraphrase what an oncologist said on a panel discussing immunotherapy – It is never a good time to have cancer, but if you have to have cancer, now is a really good time to have cancer.

Please be kind to yourself and do not be afraid to tell a good friend exactly what you are feeling. Good friends have a habit of rising to the occasion.

Best wishes.

Mary

Kelly—11
                  Participant

Thank you guys, I am normally a very positive person but I just can't shake this scared feeling. Xx

Kelly—11
                    Participant

Thank you guys, I am normally a very positive person but I just can't shake this scared feeling. Xx

Kelly—11
                      Participant

mary1233
                      Participant

All I can say is that it is a process. Even now, after just one episode, and being 2 1/2 years NED, I cannot even tell anyone about  this without tearing up. And yet, I am more optimistic now than I ever have been before because of the advances in immunotherapy. To paraphrase what an oncologist said on a panel discussing immunotherapy – It is never a good time to have cancer, but if you have to have cancer, now is a really good time to have cancer.

Please be kind to yourself and do not be afraid to tell a good friend exactly what you are feeling. Good friends have a habit of rising to the occasion.

Best wishes.

Mary

mary1233
                        Participant

Best wishes.

Mary

kpcollins31
                          Participant

I think it is totally normal to have down days – happens to all of us. When I was first diagnosed at stage 2 several years ago it felt like the sky was falling. Not knowing anything, I went on the web and Googled… big mistake. It felt like I had an expiration date all of a sudden and it took me out of my right mind. I actually sold a new sports car I had just acquired at a loss because I did not want my family to have to deal with it when I was gone… how is that for a poor reaction? Still miss that car :).

So fast forward a few years and I am still here. Yes, I did progress to stage 4 but am currently NED after surgery over a year ago and no systemmic treatments. Each day I wake up, go to work, hit the gym, and live a relatively normal life – perhaps with some better perspective on things now. I am laser focused on being able to retire early (I am currently 41, married with 3 kids). Will I get there? Don't know, but I have faith and I am sure going to try. Hang in there. 

Kevin

kpcollins31
                            Participant

I think it is totally normal to have down days – happens to all of us. When I was first diagnosed at stage 2 several years ago it felt like the sky was falling. Not knowing anything, I went on the web and Googled… big mistake. It felt like I had an expiration date all of a sudden and it took me out of my right mind. I actually sold a new sports car I had just acquired at a loss because I did not want my family to have to deal with it when I was gone… how is that for a poor reaction? Still miss that car :).

So fast forward a few years and I am still here. Yes, I did progress to stage 4 but am currently NED after surgery over a year ago and no systemmic treatments. Each day I wake up, go to work, hit the gym, and live a relatively normal life – perhaps with some better perspective on things now. I am laser focused on being able to retire early (I am currently 41, married with 3 kids). Will I get there? Don't know, but I have faith and I am sure going to try. Hang in there. 

Kevin

kpcollins31
                              Participant

Kevin

Bubbles
                                Participant

Kelly,

You have been given some great responses.  You will find the path that works for you.  But…if you need some inspiration….perhaps these will help:

The amazing words and life of Stuart Scott….

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/01/thisis-how-you-fight-cancer.html

My version….not nearly as cool…but still….

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/04/health-monitor-magazine-focuses-on.html

So….live!!!  You can do this!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Kelly,

You have been given some great responses.  You will find the path that works for you.  But…if you need some inspiration….perhaps these will help:

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/01/thisis-how-you-fight-cancer.html

http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2015/04/health-monitor-magazine-focuses-on.html

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Kelly,

paz58
                                      Participant

I felt the same way at diagnosis 6 years ago.  I am currently in complete remission from stage IV and have been for over a year.  It gets easier with time.  Let yourself cry if you need to, but that need will begin to fade.  Keep  being optimistic because there are good treatments available and your chances are so much better than they would have been just a few years ago.  There are many success stories on the internet, reading them may help.  Wishing you the best.

paz58
                                        Participant

I felt the same way at diagnosis 6 years ago.  I am currently in complete remission from stage IV and have been for over a year.  It gets easier with time.  Let yourself cry if you need to, but that need will begin to fade.  Keep  being optimistic because there are good treatments available and your chances are so much better than they would have been just a few years ago.  There are many success stories on the internet, reading them may help.  Wishing you the best.

paz58
                                          Participant

las630
                                            Participant

Hi Kelly,

I felt the same way when I was first diagnosed.  I was so angry and sad and frustrated and scared all at the same time.  I have always been the type to be super upbeat and happy and be-boppin around, so these were all new feelings that I didn't know how to deal with. 

I tried talking to people, but EVERY person I would talk to would say "It's all gonna be ok", and that would make me even more mad, because I felt like they didn't know or understand.

Anyways, the one thing that REALLY REALLY helped me was to keep a journal.  Sometimes I would sit up at night and just cry and write and cry and write some more.  It really helped.  I could put all my feelings down and just ramble on and on and get everything out of my system and didn't have to worry about what anyone would say or think because it was only for me to read.

I hope it helps!

God Bless,

Lisa

las630
                                              Participant

Hi Kelly,

I felt the same way when I was first diagnosed.  I was so angry and sad and frustrated and scared all at the same time.  I have always been the type to be super upbeat and happy and be-boppin around, so these were all new feelings that I didn't know how to deal with. 

I tried talking to people, but EVERY person I would talk to would say "It's all gonna be ok", and that would make me even more mad, because I felt like they didn't know or understand.

Anyways, the one thing that REALLY REALLY helped me was to keep a journal.  Sometimes I would sit up at night and just cry and write and cry and write some more.  It really helped.  I could put all my feelings down and just ramble on and on and get everything out of my system and didn't have to worry about what anyone would say or think because it was only for me to read.

I hope it helps!

God Bless,

Lisa

las630
                                                Participant

Hi Kelly,

I hope it helps!

God Bless,

Lisa

jpg
                                                  Participant

Probably a good step is not coming here anymore.  Those who keep coming haven't moved on with life  you can't make it center of things.  i make it a point to only come once in a blue moon.

jpg
                                                    Participant

Probably a good step is not coming here anymore.  Those who keep coming haven't moved on with life  you can't make it center of things.  i make it a point to only come once in a blue moon.

jpg
                                                      Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics