The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What treatments are out in US, but not Canada

Forums General Melanoma Community What treatments are out in US, but not Canada

Participant

My Mom has finished 3 rounds of IL2 in Buffalo and is now moving on to IPI. I am just wondering if we can somehow pool all of the melonama treatments available in Canada vs the US. What have been the most effective treatments.

My mum has stage 4 melanoma that has not spread past her lungs.

Thanks in advance

Tricia

My Mom has finished 3 rounds of IL2 in Buffalo and is now moving on to IPI. I am just wondering if we can somehow pool all of the melonama treatments available in Canada vs the US. What have been the most effective treatments.

My mum has stage 4 melanoma that has not spread past her lungs.

Thanks in advance

Tricia

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Tricia, can you tell us a bit about your mum's history with melanoma? Perhaps you could
          update your profile page, as this will really help us to help you better.

Ipi (now called Yervoy) is probably the most effective drug that we have at the moment.
          Other treatments that are worth considering include Braf and similar inhibitors.

However, I feel that TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) is the most promising therapy
          that is available. For more info see:
          http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/til-treatment-adoptive-cell-therapy-clinical-trial

It appears that the US has the biggest range of melanoma treatments in the world. I
          think that your options could be fairly limited in Canada, but I am not certain of what
          is available at the moment. Clinical trials are always worth considering. See:
          http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=&recr=Open&rslt=&type=&cond=melanoma&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=NA%3ACA&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Lisa13
            Participant

Hi Tricia,

I'm from Canada (Toronto) and also have Stage 4 which hasn't spread beyond the lungs.  After failing dacarabazine, I just started ipi (Yervoy) yesterday. Canada doesn't seem to have alot of treatment options, but there are some options available in clinical trials and newer ones becoming available in the next few months (which are already in the U.S.). For example, TIL treatment is in the experimental stages right now and will be available for human use in 4-6 months. Also, Anti PD-1 is also to become available later this year. Even though we're behind, we're getting there.  IL-2 and Leukine treatments arn't available in Canada and we have to travel in order to get them.

Best of luck to your Mom

Lisa

lyndaloo
              Participant

Hi Lisa, we also live in Canada, my husband (stage 4) just tested negative for BRAF.  In order to eligible for the ipi he must try chemo first, how many tries did you do of Decarbazine before you were allowed the ipi?  The TIL and Anti PD-1, do you have to be BRAF positive for these? I hope you have a positive outcome with the ipi. I am fearful they may pull the ipi before he is eligible to enroll in the study.

All the best,

lyndaloo

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Lyndaloo, I would just like to chime in here. As far as I know, TIL treatment is
                  certainly possible without being BRAF positive. However, this therapy has eligibility
                  criteria that can be quite strict and therefore not everyone might be accepted.

Here is a link to a previous thread about anti-pd-1:
                  http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/anti-pd-1-what-it-and-who-it

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Lyndaloo, I would just like to chime in here. As far as I know, TIL treatment is
                    certainly possible without being BRAF positive. However, this therapy has eligibility
                    criteria that can be quite strict and therefore not everyone might be accepted.

Here is a link to a previous thread about anti-pd-1:
                    http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/anti-pd-1-what-it-and-who-it

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

lyndaloo
                    Participant

Hi Lisa, we also live in Canada, my husband (stage 4) just tested negative for BRAF.  In order to eligible for the ipi he must try chemo first, how many tries did you do of Decarbazine before you were allowed the ipi?  The TIL and Anti PD-1, do you have to be BRAF positive for these? I hope you have a positive outcome with the ipi. I am fearful they may pull the ipi before he is eligible to enroll in the study.

All the best,

lyndaloo

Lisa13
                      Participant

Hi Tricia,

I'm from Canada (Toronto) and also have Stage 4 which hasn't spread beyond the lungs.  After failing dacarabazine, I just started ipi (Yervoy) yesterday. Canada doesn't seem to have alot of treatment options, but there are some options available in clinical trials and newer ones becoming available in the next few months (which are already in the U.S.). For example, TIL treatment is in the experimental stages right now and will be available for human use in 4-6 months. Also, Anti PD-1 is also to become available later this year. Even though we're behind, we're getting there.  IL-2 and Leukine treatments arn't available in Canada and we have to travel in order to get them.

Best of luck to your Mom

Lisa

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

Tricia, can you tell us a bit about your mum's history with melanoma? Perhaps you could
                        update your profile page, as this will really help us to help you better.

Ipi (now called Yervoy) is probably the most effective drug that we have at the moment.
                        Other treatments that are worth considering include Braf and similar inhibitors.

However, I feel that TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) is the most promising therapy
                        that is available. For more info see:
                        http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/til-treatment-adoptive-cell-therapy-clinical-trial

It appears that the US has the biggest range of melanoma treatments in the world. I
                        think that your options could be fairly limited in Canada, but I am not certain of what
                        is available at the moment. Clinical trials are always worth considering. See:
                        http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=&recr=Open&rslt=&type=&cond=melanoma&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=NA%3ACA&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Viewing 1 reply thread
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics