The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What to do now Oncovex or Ippi/PLX4032?

Forums General Melanoma Community What to do now Oncovex or Ippi/PLX4032?

Participant

Hi – I am a new poster but have been reading your postings recently and find them helpful and encouraging.. I have filed my profile and would greatly appreciate reccomendations or experiences that might help me to make a decision going forward on the treatment I should use.

Hi – I am a new poster but have been reading your postings recently and find them helpful and encouraging.. I have filed my profile and would greatly appreciate reccomendations or experiences that might help me to make a decision going forward on the treatment I should use.

I am stage IV with my initial melanoma removed Feb. 2010 with a 4mm tumor on my left side. . I went through 4 weeks of Interferon in  May 2010. Since then I have had a reoccurance of three melanoma nodules 1 on left side and 2 on left breast. They were surgically removed in Sept . Now I have again four more reoccuring nodules again on left side and on left breast.

I am lucky enough to live close to New York City and Phila. and have been speaking to 2 Doctors, one with the phase III Oncovex Trial and the other with the possibility of joining the phase I study of Ipi/PLX4032.

Since I am in the early IV stages of Melanoma I am uncertain which Trial if any is the right course of treatment for me. My CT scan and PT/CT show nothing yet – not even the small visable nodules. Any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        nickmac56
        Participant

aren't those both randomized trials? why wouldn't you try to get on the compassionate use Ipilimumab in which you know you get te drug? You washed out of interferon which was only criteria my wife had for going onto Ipilimumab. If Ipi doesn't work those other options are still open to you.

nickmac56
          Participant

aren't those both randomized trials? why wouldn't you try to get on the compassionate use Ipilimumab in which you know you get te drug? You washed out of interferon which was only criteria my wife had for going onto Ipilimumab. If Ipi doesn't work those other options are still open to you.

Jim in Denver
            Participant

Based on your description, this treatment would be very appropriate to strongly consider becuase it has shown excellent results to date:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01024231?term=mdx1106&recr=Open&rank=2

Since you are apparently BRAF positive BRAF or BRAF+MEK might be a good as a Plan B.  A major issue with combining BRAF and Ipi, which are two of the most promising treatments out there, is that if the combo doesn't work, or work for very long, then your options are very limited.  I realize that thare are many would are guessing the BRAF+Ipi is a magic bullet, but that has not been proven at all.  Both Szol at Yale and Wolchok (and others) at MSK are excellent Docs.

Hope that helps and best wishes to you.

Jim

Jim in Denver
              Participant

Based on your description, this treatment would be very appropriate to strongly consider becuase it has shown excellent results to date:

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01024231?term=mdx1106&recr=Open&rank=2

Since you are apparently BRAF positive BRAF or BRAF+MEK might be a good as a Plan B.  A major issue with combining BRAF and Ipi, which are two of the most promising treatments out there, is that if the combo doesn't work, or work for very long, then your options are very limited.  I realize that thare are many would are guessing the BRAF+Ipi is a magic bullet, but that has not been proven at all.  Both Szol at Yale and Wolchok (and others) at MSK are excellent Docs.

Hope that helps and best wishes to you.

Jim

Jim in Denver
                Participant

Oncovex is promising, but would probably be best for patients who have maybe just one or two cutaneous tumors on extremities, and can live with the lottery of ramdomization IMHO.

4hope
                    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it means a lot coming from someone who is going through this as well.

I am a breast cancer survivor as well from seven years ago. Back then the chemo and radiation treatment was not nearly as scary and I felt strongly that I could beat it. I remind myself now that we may be right at the cutting edge of finding a cure for Mel. as well and it is important to appreciate the good in each and every day. Cancer has opened my eyes to just how precious life is .

4hope
                      Participant

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it means a lot coming from someone who is going through this as well.

I am a breast cancer survivor as well from seven years ago. Back then the chemo and radiation treatment was not nearly as scary and I felt strongly that I could beat it. I remind myself now that we may be right at the cutting edge of finding a cure for Mel. as well and it is important to appreciate the good in each and every day. Cancer has opened my eyes to just how precious life is .

Jim in Denver
                      Participant

Oncovex is promising, but would probably be best for patients who have maybe just one or two cutaneous tumors on extremities, and can live with the lottery of ramdomization IMHO.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics