The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What does Ipi actually do?

Forums General Melanoma Community What does Ipi actually do?

Participant

My hubby has extensive mets throughout groin, liver, spleen, bones. He has just started ipi, but as I reading up on it I'm a bit unclear – if it works, is there a chance it may actually eliminate these mets? Or just arrest them? Or prevent from spreading further?

If it halts or slows things down for now, but the cancer comes back in future months or years – do we do the ipi again, unless something else has come out by then?  mm

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        BrianP
        Participant

Michele

The answer to your questions is yes.  It some cases it has eliminated mets and in a lot of these cases it seems to be durable.  In some cases there's a partial response where some mets shrink and others don't.  In some cases they have shown patitents that partially responded and later needed more treatment responded again.  Unfortunately there are some that don't seem to have any positive response to Ipi.

Dr. Wolchok describes the way Ipi works this way.  The CTLA-4 antibody that Ipi works to inhibit is like the brakes on your car.  This brake is used to slow down your immune system so it doesn't go wild and start attacking things in your body that it shouldn't (when this happens you have auto-immune type diseases).  Basically Ipi cuts the brake line so your immune system is allowed to go at full throttle and hopefully overcome the melanoma. 

Here's a link to an older Ipi video from MIF.  It's a little dated but Dr. Wolchok always does a good job of explaining things.

http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2010/11/ipilimumab-antibodies-that-stimulate-the-immune-system/

Good luck.

Brian

BrianP
          Participant

Michele

The answer to your questions is yes.  It some cases it has eliminated mets and in a lot of these cases it seems to be durable.  In some cases there's a partial response where some mets shrink and others don't.  In some cases they have shown patitents that partially responded and later needed more treatment responded again.  Unfortunately there are some that don't seem to have any positive response to Ipi.

Dr. Wolchok describes the way Ipi works this way.  The CTLA-4 antibody that Ipi works to inhibit is like the brakes on your car.  This brake is used to slow down your immune system so it doesn't go wild and start attacking things in your body that it shouldn't (when this happens you have auto-immune type diseases).  Basically Ipi cuts the brake line so your immune system is allowed to go at full throttle and hopefully overcome the melanoma. 

Here's a link to an older Ipi video from MIF.  It's a little dated but Dr. Wolchok always does a good job of explaining things.

http://melanomainternational.org/webinar/2010/11/ipilimumab-antibodies-that-stimulate-the-immune-system/

Good luck.

Brian

BrianP
            Participant

Michele

Good luck.

Brian

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

That covers the questions quite well.  It doesn't work in many cases but in some, looks like it can be a home run, not just a base hit.  Don't be suprised it at the first scan the tumors aactually look larger.  They often enlarge before the shrink.  It can take a long time for a response.to be obtained..

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

That covers the questions quite well.  It doesn't work in many cases but in some, looks like it can be a home run, not just a base hit.  Don't be suprised it at the first scan the tumors aactually look larger.  They often enlarge before the shrink.  It can take a long time for a response.to be obtained..

JerryfromFauq
                    Participant

Michelem
                      Participant

Good info, thank you both! mm

BrianP
                        Participant

One thing I'll add Michele is watch for headaches with your husband.  Not sure if you've seen some of the theads lately about Ipi and side effects it can have on the pituitary gland.  If your husband starts to experience headaches that are persistent for more than a couple days have it checked out.  Mine felt like a sinus infection at first but eventually moved to my whole head.  I think it's something if treated early is no big deal but if you let it go too long it can permanently damage the pituitary gland.

Michelem
                          Participant

Thanks for the tip! So far he has nausea, very mild diahrrea, and a lot of pain in the groin area – he had lymph glands there removed Jan. 8, but that is also an area of bone mets, so I'm concerned about that.  We meet with our doc next Wednes so we'll get his perspective then . . .

Michelem
                            Participant

Thanks for the tip! So far he has nausea, very mild diahrrea, and a lot of pain in the groin area – he had lymph glands there removed Jan. 8, but that is also an area of bone mets, so I'm concerned about that.  We meet with our doc next Wednes so we'll get his perspective then . . .

Michelem
                              Participant

BrianP
                                Participant

Shortly after I started Ipi I had a node in my groin that become enlarged and was quite sore to the touch.  It resolved by itself over the course of about a week.  I haven't read it published anywhere but I don't think it's that uncommon for patients to get an inflamed lymph node while on Ipi.  What immunological effect is causing it I don't know but hopefully that's all your husband is experiencing as well.  Good luck on Wednesday.

BrianP
                                  Participant

Shortly after I started Ipi I had a node in my groin that become enlarged and was quite sore to the touch.  It resolved by itself over the course of about a week.  I haven't read it published anywhere but I don't think it's that uncommon for patients to get an inflamed lymph node while on Ipi.  What immunological effect is causing it I don't know but hopefully that's all your husband is experiencing as well.  Good luck on Wednesday.

Michelem
                                    Participant

Thanks, Brian!  We shall see.  I have probably already said, he has mets in liver, spleen and bones and I am very worried about bone especially. Haven't seen that much discussion of responsiveness of bone mets here . . . .

Michelem
                                      Participant

Thanks, Brian!  We shall see.  I have probably already said, he has mets in liver, spleen and bones and I am very worried about bone especially. Haven't seen that much discussion of responsiveness of bone mets here . . . .

Michelem
                                        Participant

Dave from Ormond
                                          Participant

I wish I'd had known about the inflamed lymph nodes 5 months ago!  I underwent 20 radiation treatments to my right armpit because of an inflamed lymph node that was very painful.  Now, we don't know whether the Ipi is shrinking all my spots or the radiation is.  The good news is that it's all shrunken, especially the swollen lymph node.  The bad news is that the radiation was by far the worst experience of my treatment.  

Good luck to all of you!

Dave from Ormond
                                            Participant

I wish I'd had known about the inflamed lymph nodes 5 months ago!  I underwent 20 radiation treatments to my right armpit because of an inflamed lymph node that was very painful.  Now, we don't know whether the Ipi is shrinking all my spots or the radiation is.  The good news is that it's all shrunken, especially the swollen lymph node.  The bad news is that the radiation was by far the worst experience of my treatment.  

Good luck to all of you!

POW
                                              Participant

Dave, I am sorry that you had a bad experience with radiation. However, it might make you feel better about things to know that there are more and more reports of radiation treatments enhancing the effect of ipi. Not only does the combination seem to work better on the irradiated tumors, but the immune system seems to get "revved up" and goes out to seek-and-destroy other tumors all over your body. So, actually, you may be benefitting from both the ipi and the radiation. Regardless, congratulations on having such a good outcome!

POW
                                                Participant

Dave, I am sorry that you had a bad experience with radiation. However, it might make you feel better about things to know that there are more and more reports of radiation treatments enhancing the effect of ipi. Not only does the combination seem to work better on the irradiated tumors, but the immune system seems to get "revved up" and goes out to seek-and-destroy other tumors all over your body. So, actually, you may be benefitting from both the ipi and the radiation. Regardless, congratulations on having such a good outcome!

POW
                                                  Participant

Dave from Ormond
                                                    Participant

Good luck to all of you!

BrianP
                                                      Participant

BrianP
                                                        Participant

One thing I'll add Michele is watch for headaches with your husband.  Not sure if you've seen some of the theads lately about Ipi and side effects it can have on the pituitary gland.  If your husband starts to experience headaches that are persistent for more than a couple days have it checked out.  Mine felt like a sinus infection at first but eventually moved to my whole head.  I think it's something if treated early is no big deal but if you let it go too long it can permanently damage the pituitary gland.

BrianP
                                                          Participant

Michelem
                                                            Participant

Michelem
                                                              Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics