The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What do you say at work about your cancer?

Forums General Melanoma Community What do you say at work about your cancer?

Participant
      Hello everybody,

I was wondering what do people usually tell at work about their cancer?
      At what point do you tell your management that you are going through cancer treatment?
      Are you worried that they may let you go since you may not be as productive as you used to be?
      Not sure if my thinking is right. How do people usually hadle this topic?

Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Johnjk04
        Participant
          Daisy, now it’s tough enough dealing with cancer but then we have to tiptoe around our employment. First of all, I hope your treatments are successful and then you can put Mel in the rear view mirror. When I dealt with stage IV, I pretty much told all employees. Being a team leader my absences, would affect everyone. I definitely feel that you should tell your supervisor. She should keep your health private, if you wish to have it that way. Daisy, wishing you the absolute best.
          Mark_DC
          Participant
            Hi Daisy,

I wish you the same as John.

In my case, my job is secure – I work for a public organization so I cannot really be fired and my work in the past has been really good at times (it’s not too bad now either!). I have plenty of accumulated sick leave and holiday (although I never really needed it under treatment; if I had had a third round of surgery I may have needed 12 weeks plus off). That said, I didnt tell too many people, really I think because of the stigma attached to cancer.

I did tell my immediate boss, my HR boss and my big bosses. That’s it. I needed them to know that i might need to take time off or need flexible hours (treatment every 2 weeks in my case but the worst is scan days and results days which take time and are stressful; I handled this by doing my CT Fri 7am and then coming back for the MRI Fri after work (and sleep through the MRI); alternative is weekends). On TVEC i found that I would run fevers, I showed up for work the next day but then realised I would have to go home. Never happened on keytruda. I manage a team but did not tell my team. Just as if they ask for a sick day I dont ask them what is the reason. And if you are working remotely even less need to tell.

Since then I have told very few friends, only those I feel closest to.

Now that I have survived a few years I am a little more inclined to open up, or at least to those suffering cancer or medical difficulties or needing scans, that maybe I can understand or help them with what they are going through.

I hope you have an understanding employer and that this should not be an extra source of worry. If they are understanding then telling your boss can remove one unnecessary source of stress.

good luck Mark

MelMel
              Participant
                Johnjk04, I am so sorry. I tried to scroll up and accidentaly hit the Grr. Now, I cannot erase it. 🙁
              Daisy2018
              Participant
                It’s a beens year since cancer diagnosis. I have managed to from from my couch through 2 surgeries, one with healing a wide excision with a graft abs another where I had a gain for a whole month. I did my visits for work hiding my drain under the long skirt. Some people thought I was wearing that long skirt because of religious reasons. It worked. Keytruda infusions were on a day off once a month. PET scans were done in the morning so I can come back abs flex hours that day.
                I work from home and do visits at people’s homes. I think I will be able to keep doing it. I hope.
                the only problem is we can’t keep fully staffed as long as I have been working there for last seven years and sometimes it’s just gets little more than you want because of extra paper work. The balance of life and work gets mixed up. The people and management are nice. That’s why I like the place and don’t mind extra work.
                As I was saying the plan is to start targeted therapy. It freaks me out. The side effects freak me out. It maybe too much with extra work and side effects. So was thinking to ask not to give me too much now just keep my assignment to where it needs to be not where they stretch it to be?

Woyld they look from prospective of how much money they pay for me for my medical care? I m becoming too expensive too keep?

Steve33
                Participant
                  Juggling my melanoma diagnosis &  work was also something I was concerned about originally and caused me a lot of stress, but there are a lot of laws in the USA that helped me feel a lot better about it. HIPPA privacy laws basically protect you from having to disclose your diagnosis as well as protects you from being discriminated for health reasons. FMLA laws protect your job from being taken away if you have to take leave for medical needs. Employers are allowed to ask for a doctor note to verify you a need to miss work, but that’s about it. In the end, it’s really none of their business other then to know that you need to miss work for medical reasons.

As far as disclosing your diagnosis, it’s more of a personal decision. I preferred to not disclose it, especially in the beginning when it was emotional to discuss. Now I’m a little bit more open. I had a few colleagues that eventually asked me what’s going on and I felt comfortable telling them because I consider them friends. I had some occasional unwelcome questions from colleagues that I’m not close with because my scar from surgery is very visible on my neck. I told them I had a mole and the surrounding area removed. That usually ended the conversation.

I even changed companies and moved across the country in the middle of my treatment. I again initially had concerns but kept reminding myself that it is:

a) literally none of their business

b) I’m protected by privacy and discrimination laws

So overall  I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I have always hated missing work because of doctor and treatment appointments and got stressed thinking about juggling work but it really was not an issue.

ed williams
                  Participant
                    Don’t worry MelMel, I got your back, the system should allow us all to know who hits those silly buttons and we should be able to edit them, so I gave everybody a GRR, so no one will feel left out. Ed
                    Bubbles
                    Participant
                      Bahahaha!!!  Thanks for a good laugh, Edster!!!  Perfect!  Those buttons (their presence and functionality/lack thereof) are redic!!!  Happy Easter everybody!!!

c

Now gimme my ‘GRRRR’!!!!!

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics