The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What an education! Brain is clear – yay! + Update

Forums General Melanoma Community What an education! Brain is clear – yay! + Update

Participant

Hey all,

I have excellent news of my sister Leisa! A year after WBR for "too many brain mets to count," her brain has finally been declared "clear." We had a verbal 2 weeks ago from a nurse who said over the phone "no mets" but all reports since last Nov. showed existing mets had resolved – we were ecstatic at the time but the docs refused to share our optimism. Now I understand why – they were still seeing a couple of small T1 flairs and numerous T2 flairs. I did not realize the difference until we saw the radioncologist last week – T1 is suspect for pathology (disease) and T2 could be anything >> seems so simple and I'll be damned as to why I couldn't get a straight answer on this before (part of my confusion was because they insist on calling T1 flairs "new mets" and when we read the reports we were asking "what new mets are you talking about?")

Anyway, it's now official and we are "over the top." The T2 flairs they see now are numerous and throughout the white matter but they are the damage from the WBR. These are very similar (as I understand it) to declines in our brains that are seen as we age, after having a stroke or with alzheimers. Not much that can be done and she is coping now with short term memory probems. 

I also posted the other week about her treatment because the trial she was in was ending and we were kind of alarmed because she is not NED. I did update that post to say we'd had a call that they were going to continue nivo for her but we didn't know what "the plan" was until yesterday. Seems there actually is no plan or the onc wants to see the next thoracic scan (July 10) before she says anything more. She did volunteer that if the next scan showed NED, she'd continue infusions for another 3 mos. but if not NED, she'd go one more year on nivo, tops!! She also confirmed that the nivo is just by regular prescribed treatment, it's not under trial. That's progress here because 6 mos. ago it wasn't available this way AND, for the life of me, why couldn't she tell us this 4 weeks ago. We think she was waiting to see the brain scan before saying anything.

Small rant >> I am extremely grateful for the universal healthcare we have here – my sister would not be alive now without it. But I find the lack of info startling – we rarely get questions answered and most of the time the onc is just too busy to entertain qs anyway. They're also very reluctant to be enthused over good news (e.g., the only organs the onc will say are clear for my sister are her lungs and now the brain – she won't comment on the spine, the pancreas or anywhere else they are no longer seeing anything). We've asked repeatedly about certain bloodwork, LDH level in particular, and were usually kind of dissed – this time she must've been prepared because she had the LDH – it's back in normal range, 254. Before treatment last year it approached 1200. From the outset though, the onc told my sister to stay "offline" – she does not like her patients to be informed, that's clear (that's why I'm on here and my sister is not). But I stlll don't understand – why keep peole in the dark? I've stated this before and I'll say it again – this board has been our lifeline, the bulk of serious answers we've had came from here. In fact, we believe it saved her life (a post in May about sudden tinnitus clued us in to brain mets – that answer was from Jennunicorn – Jenn, if you happen to read this, please know that my sister regards you as a "hidden angel" – so do I!!)

So, that's where we're at – feeling close to NED but 4 or 5 tumours to go still. We'll knock them off one by one if we have to ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks for listening, thanks very much for being here!!

Best to all,

Barb

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

That's the spirit – congratulations! 

Kevin

jwarren39837
          Participant

Very happy for you and sis.  Wishing you the very best!

jennunicorn
            Participant

Barb I am so happy that my post helped your sister out, sending big hugs to both of you! That's why I love this forum so much, I don't know what this journey would be like without it and all the great people and posts on here.

As for the oncologist issues, I'm sorry her onc isn't the best at informing her and getting excited about good news. My onc knows I am on this forum a lot and that I like to stay updated on the latest and greatest info out there, and she's all about patients gaining knowledge and loves that she can talk to me about new and interesting things she learns in the melanoma world. And we both get excited together when my scans show good news. It's how it should be with oncs, it shouldn't feel like they're walking on eggshells or not wanting to "jinx" something by saying things are looking good. I guess there's different personalities just like in any profession. Just wish everyone could have a doc they really connect with.

You know you can always find some excitment for good news here. YAY! Kicking mels butt IS exciting! Can't wait to hear more good news after more scans.

sister of patient
                Participant

Yes Jenn, it is exciting!! And it's been great to share the super success stories from this board with Leisa too – on some of her darkest days, I'd find a relevant post with good news and read it to her – it really helped to buck her up a bit, so I hope others find something to gain from our success too!

Re. the lack of optimism we find – I literally think that the docs here are just too busy, that there's not enough of them to go around and their patient loads are too high. But I also think they should then be more welcoming of a patient's willingness to learn and be actively engaged in treatment – it should help not hinder.

Ah well, we'll save our excitement for family, friends and this board ๐Ÿ™‚

Thank you again. Have an excellent day!!

Barb

sgreenberg
                Participant

Congrats! Thanks for sharing, and good luck to your sister!

RitysMom
                  Participant

That is wonderful news!!! I'm so happy for you and pray I will one day be posting the same! I completely agree with how much this forum is a lifeline to all who use it and want you to know that you have been such an encouragement to me!

sister of patient
                      Participant

Ahh … it warms my heart Cindy to think we can help in any small way!!! I too look forward to you being able to post great news of Kristine. As the cases are very similar in ways, if you ever want to ask anything of us specifically, feel free!! You and she are in my thoughts!!

Best wishes to your entire family!!

Barb

Maureen038
                        Participant

That's such wonderful news for you and your sister!! I'm very happy for you Barb!

Maureen

sister of patient
                          Participant

Thank you so much Maureen!

Barb ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 4 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics