The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

What a let down – no BRAF test results

Forums General Melanoma Community What a let down – no BRAF test results

Participant

Went in to find out if dad's tumors tested positive so he could try Zelboraf, and after 3 weeks of waiting, they told us the tissue sample was insufficient. Doc thought there might be a chance we could get some Zelboraf and see if it does in fact have an effect, thereby confirming without another biopsy. I doubt Roche will do that for us since it would have to be through their patient assistance program.

So in the meantime dad will continue Temodar, which is only slightly effective – 2/ 20 or so tumors shranks some (brain), while 2 of 2o grew (on spleen and colon).

Went in to find out if dad's tumors tested positive so he could try Zelboraf, and after 3 weeks of waiting, they told us the tissue sample was insufficient. Doc thought there might be a chance we could get some Zelboraf and see if it does in fact have an effect, thereby confirming without another biopsy. I doubt Roche will do that for us since it would have to be through their patient assistance program.

So in the meantime dad will continue Temodar, which is only slightly effective – 2/ 20 or so tumors shranks some (brain), while 2 of 2o grew (on spleen and colon).

Dr thinks we will probably have to biopsy a brain tumor. All I think about is how the original biopsy in April landed him in the hospital for over a week witha collapsed lung. Ugh. Don't even want to know what can happen to the brain.

Wait, wait, wait – it's all I seem to do.

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

No, no, no. Confirm first. If he is not BRAF positive and takes the drug, it may have the opposite effect and cause the tumors to grow faster.

dearfoam
            Participant

I am pretty sure it is not going to happen anyhow!

In other news, today I found out our cat also has lymphoma cancer!

Ugh

MichaelFL
              Participant

I do not think I have heard yet of a doc giving a BRAF drug without confirmation one is positive for the mutation.

MichaelFL
                Participant

I do not think I have heard yet of a doc giving a BRAF drug without confirmation one is positive for the mutation.

dearfoam
                  Participant

I am pretty sure it is not going to happen anyhow!

In other news, today I found out our cat also has lymphoma cancer!

Ugh

MichaelFL
                  Participant

No, no, no. Confirm first. If he is not BRAF positive and takes the drug, it may have the opposite effect and cause the tumors to grow faster.

Charlie S
                    Participant

Yes, waiting sucks.  Does your Dad have tumors other than the brain that could be reasonably  plucked and BRAF tested?

Charlie S

dearfoam
                        Participant

The Dr indicated the spleen tumor was not a good choice and that the brain biopsy was the easiest to "bounce back" from. Seems like that would still be risky, and he said he would be investigating the option between now and our next visit. There are other abdominal tumors, but we do not want to do the lungs again due to previous lung collapse and PE (clot) problems.

I am unsure if we will be contacte dbefore the end of this cycle about setting up a biopsy – I think we will discuss at the next visit and perhaps decide if it is even worth it.

dearfoam
                          Participant

Going in for a consultation with neurosurgeon this Wednesday regarding crainiotomy for a brain tumor biopsy, presumably to take place later this month.

dearfoam
                            Participant

Going in for a consultation with neurosurgeon this Wednesday regarding crainiotomy for a brain tumor biopsy, presumably to take place later this month.

dearfoam
                              Participant

The Dr indicated the spleen tumor was not a good choice and that the brain biopsy was the easiest to "bounce back" from. Seems like that would still be risky, and he said he would be investigating the option between now and our next visit. There are other abdominal tumors, but we do not want to do the lungs again due to previous lung collapse and PE (clot) problems.

I am unsure if we will be contacte dbefore the end of this cycle about setting up a biopsy – I think we will discuss at the next visit and perhaps decide if it is even worth it.

Charlie S
                              Participant

Yes, waiting sucks.  Does your Dad have tumors other than the brain that could be reasonably  plucked and BRAF tested?

Charlie S

Viewing 3 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics