The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

went for checkup today

Forums General Melanoma Community went for checkup today

Participant

went down to Penn for checkup today. No tests or anything (had clear lung X-rays 2 months ago). The doctor who was filling in for my doctor mentioned that the lack of inflamation found around the excision site was not a great sign, she said it showed the body's immune system when fighting cancer would show inflamation. She said this after being pressed by me (I ask ALOT of questions). Has anyone else ever heard of this before? I guess like many of you, I get anxiety ridden when I go for tests, checkups etc.

went down to Penn for checkup today. No tests or anything (had clear lung X-rays 2 months ago). The doctor who was filling in for my doctor mentioned that the lack of inflamation found around the excision site was not a great sign, she said it showed the body's immune system when fighting cancer would show inflamation. She said this after being pressed by me (I ask ALOT of questions). Has anyone else ever heard of this before? I guess like many of you, I get anxiety ridden when I go for tests, checkups etc. I have  real up and down days leading up to tests etc. Some days I think I'm doomed and other days I feel positive. I'm thinking about seeing a shrink just because alot of people don't want to hear about it. So anyhow has anyone heard of the inflamation and secondly has anyone gone to counseling over this?   

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

MANY people have gone to counseling over a cancer diagnosis.  If you're contemplating it, it's probably a good choice for you.  It can take a lot of time to get past a diagnosis and counseling may help. 

As for the inflammation, I suspect the doctor was referring to your pathology report.  Look at #4 on this website:  http://www.melanomaintl.org/melanoma_info/pathology.html

I know it has been studied, but TIL is NOT part of the staging because it hasn't been shown to be a statistically significant prognostic factor.  THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT PROGNOSTIC INDICATOR is depth.  I wouldn't spend much time worrying about "inflammation".

It sounds like you are grasping for straws and wanting the doctor to tell you that you will be fine.  The reality is no one knows what is in your future – even the doctor.  When you get cancer, you lose a sense of control.  So the real key is to let go of the things you can't control and take control over the rest.  This includes self monitoring, checkups, and lifestyle changes.  Time does help and counseling may also speed along the process. 

Best wishes,

Janner

gtown
            Participant

Janner,

Thanks again for your insight. In my defense though I was asking the doctor why I couldn't have the test to see if i was BRAF positive, I asked about a study that my Doctor had participated in that stated that 30% of men with melanomas of .5 mm or less had metastasis within 10 yrs, The doctor gave me the stats of 92% survival for 1B which I knew already. I'd love the doctor to tell me everythings going to be fine of course but when I'm in the doctors office I ask alot of questions pertaining to treatment etc etc. I'm hardly looking for anyone to sugarcoat anything. You yourself said you had to be your best advocate and that's what I'm doing. 12 years ago I took off 9 months to care for my 2 parents who died 3 months apart,. so  I was in and out of hospitals constantly dealing with doctors and staff. What I found was that alot of doctors give you just enough info that they're comfortable with. You have to ask questions, that's just me. Thanks again for your insight.     

Janner
              Participant

I ask a lot of questions, too.  You're right, you need info to make good decisions.  But you explained you were asking about inflammation like that has a huge impact on prognosis – and it doesn't or else it most likely would be including in the staging criteria by now.  It has been studied.  You didn't mention BRAF at all.  That does seem a bit premature, however, with such a high survival rate.  Since the most likely area for mets are lymph nodes (stage III) and BRAF isn't even approved for stage III at this point, you're stretching.  *IF* you ever progress, that is certainly something that can be tested later.  The studies surrounding BRAF/NRAS/MEK and other genetic mutations are very active now and current treatment options may be obsolete in a short period of time.  Why test for a genetic mutation now when the testing may need to be refined for multiple mutations and/or other factors IF the time comes?   I also haven't seen 30% of men with lesions under .5mm having mets represented on this board.  That also isn't reflected in the 92% 10 year survival rate.  How large was the study and were there other factors besides depth that indicated higher risk?

I, too, take an interest in what is going on in terms of research.  But I also understand that everything I research now may have no bearings when and if I advance.  I am also much further out from my diagnosis, however, and melanoma no longer consumes my thoughts as it did once.  Hopefully, you'll get to that point, too.

Best wishes,

Janner

Stage IB since 1992, 3 MM primaries

gtown
                Participant

Hey,

I'll try to find the study that I referred to. I came upon it quite by accident. If I find it I'll e-mail it to you. The reason I mentioned the other topics I asked the doctor, was to dispel your original notion that I want the doctor to tell me I'm going to be "alright"  

gtown
                  Participant

Hey,

I'll try to find the study that I referred to. I came upon it quite by accident. If I find it I'll e-mail it to you. The reason I mentioned the other topics I asked the doctor, was to dispel your original notion that I want the doctor to tell me I'm going to be "alright"  

gtown
                    Participant

Hey,

gtown
                      Participant

Janner,

Here's the place where you can look at the publication   vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Michael_Ming  Under his name are credentials etc. etc. Click on publications and the one I was referring to was" thin primary cutaneous malignant melanoma a prognostic tree for 10 year metastasis is more accurate than american joint committee on cancer staging "

gtown
                        Participant

Janner,

Here's the place where you can look at the publication   vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Michael_Ming  Under his name are credentials etc. etc. Click on publications and the one I was referring to was" thin primary cutaneous malignant melanoma a prognostic tree for 10 year metastasis is more accurate than american joint committee on cancer staging "

DonW
                          Participant

The idea that these docs studied 884 patients and came up with a "a more effective classification scheme" than the AJCC seems perfectly ridiculous to me. They are using at least two parameters which have not been included in staging in the past — sex and growth phase. I suspect that either of these parameters would be meaningless if they first controlled for the more important factors of location and thickness. Not impressed and the 31% survival they find for one group seems to be an outlier which doesn't compute.

DonW
                            Participant

The idea that these docs studied 884 patients and came up with a "a more effective classification scheme" than the AJCC seems perfectly ridiculous to me. They are using at least two parameters which have not been included in staging in the past — sex and growth phase. I suspect that either of these parameters would be meaningless if they first controlled for the more important factors of location and thickness. Not impressed and the 31% survival they find for one group seems to be an outlier which doesn't compute.

DonW
                              Participant

Janner
                                Participant

That except was from 2004 and based on comparing the AJCC 2002 staging.  The AJCC revised their guidelines in late 2009 after consideration of more prognostic factors.  You must look at the numbers  — only 90 men in the study group you indicated.  The new staging guidelines do include mitotic rate.  But sex was not a significant factor otherwise it would have been included as well.  The 2009 staging was based on a population of > 30,000.  And as I said before, I've certainly not seen those kinds of rates for men represented online.

Best wishes,

Janner

gtown
                                  Participant

I was neither endorsing or refuting the results. Since my doctor was involved in the publication, I stated that I had asked about it. That's it.

gtown
                                    Participant

I was neither endorsing or refuting the results. Since my doctor was involved in the publication, I stated that I had asked about it. That's it.

gtown
                                      Participant

Janner
                                        Participant

That except was from 2004 and based on comparing the AJCC 2002 staging.  The AJCC revised their guidelines in late 2009 after consideration of more prognostic factors.  You must look at the numbers  — only 90 men in the study group you indicated.  The new staging guidelines do include mitotic rate.  But sex was not a significant factor otherwise it would have been included as well.  The 2009 staging was based on a population of > 30,000.  And as I said before, I've certainly not seen those kinds of rates for men represented online.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

gtown
                                            Participant

Janner,

Janner
                                              Participant

I ask a lot of questions, too.  You're right, you need info to make good decisions.  But you explained you were asking about inflammation like that has a huge impact on prognosis – and it doesn't or else it most likely would be including in the staging criteria by now.  It has been studied.  You didn't mention BRAF at all.  That does seem a bit premature, however, with such a high survival rate.  Since the most likely area for mets are lymph nodes (stage III) and BRAF isn't even approved for stage III at this point, you're stretching.  *IF* you ever progress, that is certainly something that can be tested later.  The studies surrounding BRAF/NRAS/MEK and other genetic mutations are very active now and current treatment options may be obsolete in a short period of time.  Why test for a genetic mutation now when the testing may need to be refined for multiple mutations and/or other factors IF the time comes?   I also haven't seen 30% of men with lesions under .5mm having mets represented on this board.  That also isn't reflected in the 92% 10 year survival rate.  How large was the study and were there other factors besides depth that indicated higher risk?

I, too, take an interest in what is going on in terms of research.  But I also understand that everything I research now may have no bearings when and if I advance.  I am also much further out from my diagnosis, however, and melanoma no longer consumes my thoughts as it did once.  Hopefully, you'll get to that point, too.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

gtown
                                                  Participant

Janner,

Thanks again for your insight. In my defense though I was asking the doctor why I couldn't have the test to see if i was BRAF positive, I asked about a study that my Doctor had participated in that stated that 30% of men with melanomas of .5 mm or less had metastasis within 10 yrs, The doctor gave me the stats of 92% survival for 1B which I knew already. I'd love the doctor to tell me everythings going to be fine of course but when I'm in the doctors office I ask alot of questions pertaining to treatment etc etc. I'm hardly looking for anyone to sugarcoat anything. You yourself said you had to be your best advocate and that's what I'm doing. 12 years ago I took off 9 months to care for my 2 parents who died 3 months apart,. so  I was in and out of hospitals constantly dealing with doctors and staff. What I found was that alot of doctors give you just enough info that they're comfortable with. You have to ask questions, that's just me. Thanks again for your insight.     

gtown
                                                    Participant

Janner,

Janner
                                                    Participant

MANY people have gone to counseling over a cancer diagnosis.  If you're contemplating it, it's probably a good choice for you.  It can take a lot of time to get past a diagnosis and counseling may help. 

As for the inflammation, I suspect the doctor was referring to your pathology report.  Look at #4 on this website:  http://www.melanomaintl.org/melanoma_info/pathology.html

I know it has been studied, but TIL is NOT part of the staging because it hasn't been shown to be a statistically significant prognostic factor.  THE VERY MOST IMPORTANT PROGNOSTIC INDICATOR is depth.  I wouldn't spend much time worrying about "inflammation".

It sounds like you are grasping for straws and wanting the doctor to tell you that you will be fine.  The reality is no one knows what is in your future – even the doctor.  When you get cancer, you lose a sense of control.  So the real key is to let go of the things you can't control and take control over the rest.  This includes self monitoring, checkups, and lifestyle changes.  Time does help and counseling may also speed along the process. 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                      Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics