The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Weird Right Side Pain Below Ribs

Forums General Melanoma Community Weird Right Side Pain Below Ribs

Participant

Has anyone experienced right stomach/side pain? Trying not to panic but I've had this pain for awhile now (about 6 weeks) and there seems to be no cause to it? I had my CT scan on June 17 and it was all clear. I mentioned the pain to my oncologist and he felt it was possibly muscular given my scan was perfectly clear but he said if the pain persists he would order an MRI of my liver and gallbladder. The pain is definitely not severe or dibilitating just more sore/dull ache. Kind of like if you did a ton of sit ups but it's off to the right side. Sometimes below my ribs and sometimes down towards my tummy. 

We bought a new house recently and have been doing a lot of work (yard work, painting, etc) so I guess it could be muscular but to last this long? What are everyone's thoughts? Anyone else experienced this? Should I be concerned given the fact my scan was clear?

Jenna

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Give it some time, Jenna.  I had the same thing and it did turn out to be muscular and yes, it did last a long time.  Have you tried rest and some ibuprofen?   If it doesn't go away in another month or so then follow up but for right now try to relax and enjoy your new house.

Fen
          Participant

Give it some time, Jenna.  I had the same thing and it did turn out to be muscular and yes, it did last a long time.  Have you tried rest and some ibuprofen?   If it doesn't go away in another month or so then follow up but for right now try to relax and enjoy your new house.

Jennab0525
              Participant

Hi Fen, 

Thank you for your response! Yes I have been taking ibuprofen regularly and that does help so that's good. I will definitely try to relax but it's always a challenge with this diagnosis! I appreciate your input!!!

Jenna

Jennab0525
                Participant

Hi Fen, 

Thank you for your response! Yes I have been taking ibuprofen regularly and that does help so that's good. I will definitely try to relax but it's always a challenge with this diagnosis! I appreciate your input!!!

Jenna

Jennab0525
                  Participant

Hi Fen, 

Jenna

Fen
                  Participant

JoshF
                    Participant

Jen-

I'm experiencing the same thing right now….drives me crazy. I had scan about 10 days ago at MD Anderson and I know what kind of tumors I'm dealing with, quite a few in abdominal area/liver but nothing to note of large size though I just had good size mass removed on May 27th. I constantly want to go to ER but fight the urge. I keep asking myself, is it psychosomatic, is it because I've sat on my ass recovering more than I ever had…either way I know what can happen between the ears and it's difficult because you can fixate. I'm doing it right now, nothing more than I'd like to get reassurance but I'm not NED anymore unfortunately. I think you give it time and see if it goes away. So be concerned, I know I am but remain diligent and if nothing changes, address it. Wishing and prayng nothing but best for you….keep us posted.

Josh

Jennab0525
                        Participant

Hi Josh!

Thank you so much for your response! My issues seem so minuscule when I know what you've been dealing with! I think about you often and read all your posts. I am always praying for you!

I will stay diligent and try not to worry! You do the same!! I hope your pain subsides. Maybe it's just a result of your surgery in May? My understanding of tumors is they don't cause pain until they get quite large so I'm sure your pain is not related to the melanoma. You may not be NED now but I know you will be soon! I have faith!

Thanks again for your positive post! Fingers crossed you feel better soon! Please continue to keep us all posted on your journey.

Jenna

Jennab0525
                          Participant

Hi Josh!

Thank you so much for your response! My issues seem so minuscule when I know what you've been dealing with! I think about you often and read all your posts. I am always praying for you!

I will stay diligent and try not to worry! You do the same!! I hope your pain subsides. Maybe it's just a result of your surgery in May? My understanding of tumors is they don't cause pain until they get quite large so I'm sure your pain is not related to the melanoma. You may not be NED now but I know you will be soon! I have faith!

Thanks again for your positive post! Fingers crossed you feel better soon! Please continue to keep us all posted on your journey.

Jenna

Jennab0525
                            Participant

Hi Josh!

Jenna

JoshF
                            Participant

Jen-

I'm experiencing the same thing right now….drives me crazy. I had scan about 10 days ago at MD Anderson and I know what kind of tumors I'm dealing with, quite a few in abdominal area/liver but nothing to note of large size though I just had good size mass removed on May 27th. I constantly want to go to ER but fight the urge. I keep asking myself, is it psychosomatic, is it because I've sat on my ass recovering more than I ever had…either way I know what can happen between the ears and it's difficult because you can fixate. I'm doing it right now, nothing more than I'd like to get reassurance but I'm not NED anymore unfortunately. I think you give it time and see if it goes away. So be concerned, I know I am but remain diligent and if nothing changes, address it. Wishing and prayng nothing but best for you….keep us posted.

Josh

JoshF
                              Participant

Jen-

Josh

Lee Parlier
                                Participant

Yes. I experience it regularly. Sometimes sharp and stabbing. Started after I began yeroy 10 mg. It lasted a month and disappeared but I have no idea what it was. 

Jennab0525
                                    Participant

Hi Lee,

I'm not doing any treatment right now (currently on watch and wait) which makes the pain even more unusual as well as unnerving!

Glad your pain subsided! Here's to hoping mine does too!

Jenna

Jennab0525
                                      Participant

Hi Lee,

I'm not doing any treatment right now (currently on watch and wait) which makes the pain even more unusual as well as unnerving!

Jenna

Jennab0525
                                        Participant

Hi Lee,

Jenna

Lee Parlier
                                        Participant

Yes. I experience it regularly. Sometimes sharp and stabbing. Started after I began yeroy 10 mg. It lasted a month and disappeared but I have no idea what it was. 

Lee Parlier
                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics