The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

wbr

Participant
      Can someone tell me whether they have had wbr and if was successful. Did there hair grow back?
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        ecc26
        Participant

I had WBR just about a year ago (June 2013). At the time I had 7 brain mets and possible leptomeningial disease (hence the WBR instead of gamma knife or other SRS). I lost all my hair at the beginning of the thrid week (I did 3 weeks, but some people only do 2), and had some fatigue and nausea. Some of the fatigue and nasea may have been do to the Ipilimumab (Yervoy) I had started at the same time, so I'm not sure what side effect went with what therapy. My ear canals got burnt though (like a sunburn) and were really irritated for about a month. That made it hard to sleep. It took about 6 months to start really growing my hair back. At this point (almost a year later), I still have a relatively thin spot at the back of my head, but the rest has filled in nicely and is still coming in. 

As far as it working- for me yes, it worked. I have not had any evidence of leptomeningial disease since and all of the 7 tumors essentially dissapeared. Keep in mind all 7 were about 5mm or less (very small). Unfortunately for me, I developed 4 new (completely new, not re-growth of old ones) late last fall (Nov or Dec). My doctors treated 2 of them in January with Gamma Knife (they're now dead), the other 2 were deemed too small to treat at the time. Then 2 weeks ago my MRI showed that the 2 untreated ones had grown and I again had 4 new ones (completely new locations from any I had previously). I had Gamma Knife again yesterday for those 6, plus 3 tiny ones they found with their machine that weren't visible on my local MRI. So yes, the WBR worked, but stay vigilant with MRI's because some of us will keep getting mets and you want to treat them as early as possible, while they're as small as possible.

One question I have is why is your doctor recommending WBR instead of something targeted like Gamma Knife? Typically WBR in melanoma patients is reserved for those with or with a concern of leptomeningeal disease, tumors in inaccessable locations (i.e. can't surgically remove them), or patients with too many mets or tumors that are too large to treat with Gamma Knife.

Good luck to you

ecc26
          Participant

I had WBR just about a year ago (June 2013). At the time I had 7 brain mets and possible leptomeningial disease (hence the WBR instead of gamma knife or other SRS). I lost all my hair at the beginning of the thrid week (I did 3 weeks, but some people only do 2), and had some fatigue and nausea. Some of the fatigue and nasea may have been do to the Ipilimumab (Yervoy) I had started at the same time, so I'm not sure what side effect went with what therapy. My ear canals got burnt though (like a sunburn) and were really irritated for about a month. That made it hard to sleep. It took about 6 months to start really growing my hair back. At this point (almost a year later), I still have a relatively thin spot at the back of my head, but the rest has filled in nicely and is still coming in. 

As far as it working- for me yes, it worked. I have not had any evidence of leptomeningial disease since and all of the 7 tumors essentially dissapeared. Keep in mind all 7 were about 5mm or less (very small). Unfortunately for me, I developed 4 new (completely new, not re-growth of old ones) late last fall (Nov or Dec). My doctors treated 2 of them in January with Gamma Knife (they're now dead), the other 2 were deemed too small to treat at the time. Then 2 weeks ago my MRI showed that the 2 untreated ones had grown and I again had 4 new ones (completely new locations from any I had previously). I had Gamma Knife again yesterday for those 6, plus 3 tiny ones they found with their machine that weren't visible on my local MRI. So yes, the WBR worked, but stay vigilant with MRI's because some of us will keep getting mets and you want to treat them as early as possible, while they're as small as possible.

One question I have is why is your doctor recommending WBR instead of something targeted like Gamma Knife? Typically WBR in melanoma patients is reserved for those with or with a concern of leptomeningeal disease, tumors in inaccessable locations (i.e. can't surgically remove them), or patients with too many mets or tumors that are too large to treat with Gamma Knife.

Good luck to you

starletwoman2007
              Participant
                Thanks for your comment is was good to hear. I have been told that I cannot have srs as my mets are scattered over the brain so it would not work. I am sorry to hear that some of yours have come back though. I really appreciate your response cos do not know anyone else who has had the treatment x
                starletwoman2007
                Participant
                  Thanks for your comment is was good to hear. I have been told that I cannot have srs as my mets are scattered over the brain so it would not work. I am sorry to hear that some of yours have come back though. I really appreciate your response cos do not know anyone else who has had the treatment x
                  starletwoman2007
                  Participant
                    starletwoman2007
                    Participant
                      starletwoman2007
                      Participant
                        starletwoman2007
                        Participant
                          Mat
                          Participant

Eva, I'm sorry to hear about the current developments in your treatment.  I saw from your other post that you're pursuing EAP.  I hope that Merck's anti-PD-1 is your magic bullet.

Mat
                            Participant

Eva, I'm sorry to hear about the current developments in your treatment.  I saw from your other post that you're pursuing EAP.  I hope that Merck's anti-PD-1 is your magic bullet.

Mat
                              Participant

ecc26
                                Participant

Thanks Mat,

We'll see if they'll even let me in. Although now it looks like BMS has one too, so maybe between the 2 I'll get some luck. I don't have the greatest track record, but I have to try. I'm actually hoping to perhaps get into an ACT trial, but again, don't know if they'd take me. 

I've been following you, too. I don't post very often, but I have been paying attention. 

I wish you the best of luck!

ecc26
                                  Participant

Thanks Mat,

We'll see if they'll even let me in. Although now it looks like BMS has one too, so maybe between the 2 I'll get some luck. I don't have the greatest track record, but I have to try. I'm actually hoping to perhaps get into an ACT trial, but again, don't know if they'd take me. 

I've been following you, too. I don't post very often, but I have been paying attention. 

Mat
                                    Participant

Thanks Eva.  Although you don't seem to read about it much here or on MIF, I think ACT/TIL is very promising (the NIH stats are similar to PD-1 (with a longer track record) recognizing that they are selective, etc.).  I pursued it at the NIH as an initial treatment, but ultimately my (then) heavy tumor burden kept me out.  I continue to ask my doctor about whether I should pursue it ("not yet").  My recollection is that the NIH will allow up to 3 brain mets, but I haven't looked at the criteria in awhile.  Separately, I recall seeing that Moffitt will be starting a trial combining TIL and PD-1, but I don't think that it is recruiting yet (and it may have stricter criteria).

Mat
                                      Participant

Thanks Eva.  Although you don't seem to read about it much here or on MIF, I think ACT/TIL is very promising (the NIH stats are similar to PD-1 (with a longer track record) recognizing that they are selective, etc.).  I pursued it at the NIH as an initial treatment, but ultimately my (then) heavy tumor burden kept me out.  I continue to ask my doctor about whether I should pursue it ("not yet").  My recollection is that the NIH will allow up to 3 brain mets, but I haven't looked at the criteria in awhile.  Separately, I recall seeing that Moffitt will be starting a trial combining TIL and PD-1, but I don't think that it is recruiting yet (and it may have stricter criteria).

Mat
                                        Participant

ecc26
                                          Participant

Thanks Mat,

ecc26
                                          Participant

Good luck to you

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics