The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

vitamins

Forums General Melanoma Community vitamins

Participant

Any opinions on vitamins? I am not a vitamin taker but would like to start taking some before I start any kind of adjuvant therapy. I am reading about Niacin, CoQ10 and Curcumin/Turmeric.

Any opinions on vitamins? I am not a vitamin taker but would like to start taking some before I start any kind of adjuvant therapy. I am reading about Niacin, CoQ10 and Curcumin/Turmeric.

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        EmilyandMike
        Participant

Vitamin D is the one I think is most important.  We also take Turmeric and Astragalus.  Just make sure you check with a doc if you plan on taking these while doing therapy.  Chemo and vitamins dont always mix well.

EmilyandMike
          Participant

Vitamin D is the one I think is most important.  We also take Turmeric and Astragalus.  Just make sure you check with a doc if you plan on taking these while doing therapy.  Chemo and vitamins dont always mix well.

ockelly
            Participant

My husband's onc has him taking 5000iu of Vit D.  His level was low at 30ish but after a few months on the high dose he increased to 85.  Onc still recommends staying on 5000 as it has been shown to help melanoma pts.  Have to check level occasionally to be sure it doesn't get too high.  He takes Now brand.  Also, just started on Doctor's Best Curcumin 3 complex  1000mg which is the brand that MD Anderson is using for clinical trials.  There is reference to a good CoQ10 article on this site so he has also started on that.  And… last but not least he is on high dose Green Tea  Gaia brand.  All highly recommended for Mel pts.  

As above be sure your doc approves these supplements before starting.

Kelly

Suzgolden
                Participant

Thanks Kelly,

Is it D3 or just D?

ockelly
                  Participant

Its D3 

ockelly
                    Participant

Its D3 

Suzgolden
                      Participant

Thanks Kelly,

Is it D3 or just D?

Lisa13
                        Participant

I was taking all these supplements as well as Inositol/IP6 and Melatonin. Since advancing to Stage 4 and now on chemo, I've had to stop everything as per my oncologist. My naturopath said I could continue taking everything (including mistletoe) except for curcumin and green tea extract as they metabolise through the liver and most treatments do as well. I had to lean towards what the oncologist thought and stopped everything. If you are NED and not going through treatment, I'd highly recommend everything.  If you're doing any treatment, speak to your oncologist. Before I went into an ipi trial, I was told to stop everything – even my Vitamin D which seemed ridiculous. They said they had no idea how any herb or supplement would react with the drug and didn't want me to be the guinea pig. As much as I want to be healthy, I didn't want to risk the chance the drug wouldn't work because of what I might have been taking. 

One thing I'd like to mention – most oncologists arn't fans of supplements and herbs – they find them useless. Everytime I mentioned seeing my naturopath while I was NED, he rolled his eyes. I truly hope one day, the two can work together because there are lab studies proving that some of these herbs and supplements do work.  They may not cure melanoma, but the goal is to keep the immune system fired up to defend itself for as long as possible.

Best of luck!

Lisa 

Lisa13
                          Participant

I was taking all these supplements as well as Inositol/IP6 and Melatonin. Since advancing to Stage 4 and now on chemo, I've had to stop everything as per my oncologist. My naturopath said I could continue taking everything (including mistletoe) except for curcumin and green tea extract as they metabolise through the liver and most treatments do as well. I had to lean towards what the oncologist thought and stopped everything. If you are NED and not going through treatment, I'd highly recommend everything.  If you're doing any treatment, speak to your oncologist. Before I went into an ipi trial, I was told to stop everything – even my Vitamin D which seemed ridiculous. They said they had no idea how any herb or supplement would react with the drug and didn't want me to be the guinea pig. As much as I want to be healthy, I didn't want to risk the chance the drug wouldn't work because of what I might have been taking. 

One thing I'd like to mention – most oncologists arn't fans of supplements and herbs – they find them useless. Everytime I mentioned seeing my naturopath while I was NED, he rolled his eyes. I truly hope one day, the two can work together because there are lab studies proving that some of these herbs and supplements do work.  They may not cure melanoma, but the goal is to keep the immune system fired up to defend itself for as long as possible.

Best of luck!

Lisa 

ockelly
                          Participant

My husband's onc has him taking 5000iu of Vit D.  His level was low at 30ish but after a few months on the high dose he increased to 85.  Onc still recommends staying on 5000 as it has been shown to help melanoma pts.  Have to check level occasionally to be sure it doesn't get too high.  He takes Now brand.  Also, just started on Doctor's Best Curcumin 3 complex  1000mg which is the brand that MD Anderson is using for clinical trials.  There is reference to a good CoQ10 article on this site so he has also started on that.  And… last but not least he is on high dose Green Tea  Gaia brand.  All highly recommended for Mel pts.  

As above be sure your doc approves these supplements before starting.

Kelly

Jim M.
                            Participant

I take vitamin D, Cacium, Fish Oil, A garlic tablet per day, Querecetin and I just began taking vitamin E ( d- alpha succinate).

God Bless and much success,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                              Participant

I take vitamin D, Cacium, Fish Oil, A garlic tablet per day, Querecetin and I just began taking vitamin E ( d- alpha succinate).

God Bless and much success,

Jim M.

NYKaren
                                Participant

I take a multi, calcuim, vit D 3000 mg, iron (have had stomach surgery that necessitates it)  with 500 mg. of chewable vit. c.  My oncologist had to see the list of everything I take, and when I asked him about turmeric and fish oil, he said to forget about it.  While I'm on Ipi, he doesn't want me on anything else but the basics.  He wouldn't even let me take more than 500 mg. of vit c!

NYKaren
                                  Participant

I take a multi, calcuim, vit D 3000 mg, iron (have had stomach surgery that necessitates it)  with 500 mg. of chewable vit. c.  My oncologist had to see the list of everything I take, and when I asked him about turmeric and fish oil, he said to forget about it.  While I'm on Ipi, he doesn't want me on anything else but the basics.  He wouldn't even let me take more than 500 mg. of vit c!

Melanoma Mom
                                    Participant

Our son's Onc supported the supplements even while on Interferon. Our son takes many of the ones you all have mentioned. Should I be worried? Has anyone else had their Onc say not to take them while Interferon??

ockelly
                                        Participant

The supplements are not a problem while on Interferon.   So glad your boy is doing so well.    Kelly

ockelly
                                          Participant

The supplements are not a problem while on Interferon.   So glad your boy is doing so well.    Kelly

Melanoma Mom
                                          Participant

Our son's Onc supported the supplements even while on Interferon. Our son takes many of the ones you all have mentioned. Should I be worried? Has anyone else had their Onc say not to take them while Interferon??

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics