The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Very worried – 3 month scan results

Forums General Melanoma Community Very worried – 3 month scan results

Participant

I just got a call from my oncologist regarding my CT scan. They found some very small nodules in my lungs (up to 20) and my oncologist wants to have me do another CT in a month to see if they've grown in size.  He also wants his radiologist double check the scans as well as not all nodules are cancerous.  Unfortunately, this means I won't be able to participate in the ipi trial in Montreal.

Has anyone had nodules turn up that arn't cancer?  I'm really trying to hold it together until I have something to worry about, but this is incredibly hard.

I just got a call from my oncologist regarding my CT scan. They found some very small nodules in my lungs (up to 20) and my oncologist wants to have me do another CT in a month to see if they've grown in size.  He also wants his radiologist double check the scans as well as not all nodules are cancerous.  Unfortunately, this means I won't be able to participate in the ipi trial in Montreal.

Has anyone had nodules turn up that arn't cancer?  I'm really trying to hold it together until I have something to worry about, but this is incredibly hard.

Lisa

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

Lisa, Is this your first scan?  If so, it could just be calcification.  Unfortunately, it is usually a waiting period that tells.  I am so very sorry you have been at least temporarily removed from the Ipi trial.  Try to keep yourself busy so you don't have much time to think about it over the next month. 

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

jhoey
            Participant

Lisa

Just wanted to tell you that the nodulars in my lungs were melanoma & that is what got me into the ipi trial.  What would have kept me out of the ipi trial would have been if it was in the brain.  i guess all trials are different.  Hope you do get into the Ipi trial, its been working for me.

Good luck

Janet

jhoey
              Participant

Lisa

Just wanted to tell you that the nodulars in my lungs were melanoma & that is what got me into the ipi trial.  What would have kept me out of the ipi trial would have been if it was in the brain.  i guess all trials are different.  Hope you do get into the Ipi trial, its been working for me.

Good luck

Janet

Lisa13
                Participant

Hi Mary,

This is my very first scan – less than 3 months after my WLE and lymph node dissection.  I didn't even get a chance to get into the trial as this was the scan to confirm everything. This completely sucks, but I will continue to remain hopeful that these nodules are nothing.

Lisa13
                  Participant

Hi Mary,

This is my very first scan – less than 3 months after my WLE and lymph node dissection.  I didn't even get a chance to get into the trial as this was the scan to confirm everything. This completely sucks, but I will continue to remain hopeful that these nodules are nothing.

Carol Taylor
                    Participant

Hang in there Lisa. I know "down" doesn't beging to cover where you are right now, but keep hope and try to be positive right now.  Praying for you, Friend.

Lord, in Your mercy, help Lisa. God, You know what she needs, so please open those doors wide and calm her. Help her focus on staying positive. Amen

Grace and peace,

Carol

Carol Taylor
                      Participant

Hang in there Lisa. I know "down" doesn't beging to cover where you are right now, but keep hope and try to be positive right now.  Praying for you, Friend.

Lord, in Your mercy, help Lisa. God, You know what she needs, so please open those doors wide and calm her. Help her focus on staying positive. Amen

Grace and peace,

Carol

washoegal
                      Participant

Lisa, Is this your first scan?  If so, it could just be calcification.  Unfortunately, it is usually a waiting period that tells.  I am so very sorry you have been at least temporarily removed from the Ipi trial.  Try to keep yourself busy so you don't have much time to think about it over the next month. 

Good Luck

Mary

Stage 3

Erinmay22
                        Participant

Lisa –

I know exactly what you are going thru.  In Jan I tried to get in the Ipi trial and they found 12+ nodules between my 2 lungs.  Instead of waiting and rescanning, they did go ahead and do a VAT's procedure to biopsy 2 of the nodules.

Unfortunately they did come back + for melanoma.  But I just had a scans in April (where technically there should be 10 or so nodules still there) and all but 1 was gone (and the one that is there is TINY like all the others were).

So while it doesn't paint a great picture, it does show that there is always a strong possibility that the spots could just be infection or false positives etc.  Hang in there and keep us posted!   We all know how scary it can be.

Erin

dawn dion
                            Participant

OH Lisa!  I am so bummed for you !  I know the anxiety you are feeling.   I am crossing my fingers for you that it is a big NOTHING – however, I believe someone said it earlier, if it turns out to be more Mel it will more than likely get you right into the ipi trials without having to worry about getting the placebo.   There is nothing fun about any of this.  Keeping you in my thoughts.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

boot2aboot
                              Participant

Lisa,

i am truly sorry to hear this…praying for calcifications for you and speedy treatments for you

boots

boot2aboot
                                Participant

Lisa,

i am truly sorry to hear this…praying for calcifications for you and speedy treatments for you

boots

dawn dion
                                  Participant

OH Lisa!  I am so bummed for you !  I know the anxiety you are feeling.   I am crossing my fingers for you that it is a big NOTHING – however, I believe someone said it earlier, if it turns out to be more Mel it will more than likely get you right into the ipi trials without having to worry about getting the placebo.   There is nothing fun about any of this.  Keeping you in my thoughts.

Hugs and Smiles

Dawn

Lisa13
                                    Participant

Hi Erin,

How did you get rid of the nodules?  Did you have treatment or did they just disappear on their own?

Lisa

Erinmay22
                                      Participant
                                        Lisa-

That is the big question! After they confirmed melanoma march 1st, I was trying get in the braf trial (since I didn’t get in ipi trial) and that’s when I had my next scan. The spots were just gone… They said I didn’t have enough active measurable growth to qualify for a trial.

So I don’t see them again until may 13th. Yes the wait is awful! And the unknown is horrible! I will discuss at my next appointment what we think should be the course of tx!

Hang in there! I know it’s easier said than done!
                                        Erin

Erinmay22
                                        Participant
                                          Lisa-

That is the big question! After they confirmed melanoma march 1st, I was trying get in the braf trial (since I didn’t get in ipi trial) and that’s when I had my next scan. The spots were just gone… They said I didn’t have enough active measurable growth to qualify for a trial.

So I don’t see them again until may 13th. Yes the wait is awful! And the unknown is horrible! I will discuss at my next appointment what we think should be the course of tx!

Hang in there! I know it’s easier said than done!
                                          Erin

Lisa13
                                          Participant

Hi Erin,

How did you get rid of the nodules?  Did you have treatment or did they just disappear on their own?

Lisa

Erinmay22
                                          Participant

Lisa –

I know exactly what you are going thru.  In Jan I tried to get in the Ipi trial and they found 12+ nodules between my 2 lungs.  Instead of waiting and rescanning, they did go ahead and do a VAT's procedure to biopsy 2 of the nodules.

Unfortunately they did come back + for melanoma.  But I just had a scans in April (where technically there should be 10 or so nodules still there) and all but 1 was gone (and the one that is there is TINY like all the others were).

So while it doesn't paint a great picture, it does show that there is always a strong possibility that the spots could just be infection or false positives etc.  Hang in there and keep us posted!   We all know how scary it can be.

Erin

FormerCaregiver
                                            Participant

I am sorry to read this. Although you are ineligible for one clinical trial, there are likely to
                                              be others that you may be able to get into. However, this might mean that you may have to travel
                                              a bit to get to the best trial for you. Here are the ones that are recruiting patients in Canada:
                                              http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma&recr=Open&rslt=&type=Intr&cond=&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=NA%3ACA&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=

It is always possible that the nodules are not cancer. If you can have a PET scan soon, that will
                                              give you a firm indication as to the chance that they may or may not be malignant. However, they
                                              are probably too small to be seen by the PET scan at the moment so I can understand why your
                                              doctor wants to wait to see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Lisa13
                                                Participant

I'm seeing the oncologist next week so I'll be asking more questions.  I'd rather not wait a month to see if they grow, so I'll suggest a VAT procedure (biopsy).  I'm also going to suggest treatment right away regardless of what they're thinking since I don't feel waiting is a good thing.  Both the trial Dr and my oncologist both suggested IL-21 if it is melanoma. Has anyone heard of this drug and if it's been promising?

I'm continuing to remain optimistic that this MAY be nothing. My hiatal hernia and acid reflex has been bad the last couple of weeks as have my allergies, so maybe that's why these nodules are showing up in my lungs?  I refuse to venture into the land of Stage 4 unless they confirm it.

Always have hope.

Lisa

Erinmay22
                                                  Participant

Good luck!  yes ask about the VAT's.  Depending on where they are (there were 2 on the outer left lobe of my left lung that the surgeon thought he could get to easily).  I'm not sure if they have to actually crack you open to get to a spot you'd want them to do that.  But my oncologist wasn't happy with waiting to see if things grew.  He wanted to know right away.

I do know my first med onc (I was in the middle of moving when all this happen for me) said that IL-2 while toxic, has shown to be helpful on lung mets. 

What size are your spots?  Mine were all 2mm-4mm.  I'm guessing since these were all small since they were just found.

I do completely empathize with you and your comments above.  You should see some of the emails I was sending my med onc and his nurses about the wait for the trial they were trying to get me in, about how could we let this horrible stuff just keep growing in me with no plan together.  Then when there was a mix up on the slides they sent to the drug company to test for B-RAF and they canceled all outstanding appointments I was crushed!  But…  then they got my scans back on the schedule and everything came back looking much better than my Jan scans and I felt a little silly….

But that doesn't take away the point that you must be your own advocate!  Make sure they answer all your questions and make you feel like you know what's going on. 

Cheers,

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                    Participant

Good luck!  yes ask about the VAT's.  Depending on where they are (there were 2 on the outer left lobe of my left lung that the surgeon thought he could get to easily).  I'm not sure if they have to actually crack you open to get to a spot you'd want them to do that.  But my oncologist wasn't happy with waiting to see if things grew.  He wanted to know right away.

I do know my first med onc (I was in the middle of moving when all this happen for me) said that IL-2 while toxic, has shown to be helpful on lung mets. 

What size are your spots?  Mine were all 2mm-4mm.  I'm guessing since these were all small since they were just found.

I do completely empathize with you and your comments above.  You should see some of the emails I was sending my med onc and his nurses about the wait for the trial they were trying to get me in, about how could we let this horrible stuff just keep growing in me with no plan together.  Then when there was a mix up on the slides they sent to the drug company to test for B-RAF and they canceled all outstanding appointments I was crushed!  But…  then they got my scans back on the schedule and everything came back looking much better than my Jan scans and I felt a little silly….

But that doesn't take away the point that you must be your own advocate!  Make sure they answer all your questions and make you feel like you know what's going on. 

Cheers,

Erin

Lisa13
                                                      Participant

I'm seeing the oncologist next week so I'll be asking more questions.  I'd rather not wait a month to see if they grow, so I'll suggest a VAT procedure (biopsy).  I'm also going to suggest treatment right away regardless of what they're thinking since I don't feel waiting is a good thing.  Both the trial Dr and my oncologist both suggested IL-21 if it is melanoma. Has anyone heard of this drug and if it's been promising?

I'm continuing to remain optimistic that this MAY be nothing. My hiatal hernia and acid reflex has been bad the last couple of weeks as have my allergies, so maybe that's why these nodules are showing up in my lungs?  I refuse to venture into the land of Stage 4 unless they confirm it.

Always have hope.

Lisa

FormerCaregiver
                                                      Participant

I am sorry to read this. Although you are ineligible for one clinical trial, there are likely to
                                                        be others that you may be able to get into. However, this might mean that you may have to travel
                                                        a bit to get to the best trial for you. Here are the ones that are recruiting patients in Canada:
                                                        http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma&recr=Open&rslt=&type=Intr&cond=&intr=&outc=&lead=&spons=&id=&state1=&cntry1=NA%3ACA&state2=&cntry2=&state3=&cntry3=&locn=&gndr=&rcv_s=&rcv_e=&lup_s=&lup_e=

It is always possible that the nodules are not cancer. If you can have a PET scan soon, that will
                                                        give you a firm indication as to the chance that they may or may not be malignant. However, they
                                                        are probably too small to be seen by the PET scan at the moment so I can understand why your
                                                        doctor wants to wait to see what happens.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Jamietk
                                                        Participant

Lisa,

I am stage IB (based on first path report at home, 2.0mm) or IIA (based on path report at MDA of 2.1mm). My very first follow-up after having my WLE/SNB was a CT scan (because I had some weird symptoms). I had several spots in my liver, both lungs, and right breast. We've watched these on CT and MRI for 5 years now and nothing has changed. They consider them benign. They did do a biopsy on the breast 4 years ago. I'm proof that you can have many spots and they could all be benign. Hang in there. Keep us posted. Will be praying.

Jamietk
                                                          Participant

Lisa,

I am stage IB (based on first path report at home, 2.0mm) or IIA (based on path report at MDA of 2.1mm). My very first follow-up after having my WLE/SNB was a CT scan (because I had some weird symptoms). I had several spots in my liver, both lungs, and right breast. We've watched these on CT and MRI for 5 years now and nothing has changed. They consider them benign. They did do a biopsy on the breast 4 years ago. I'm proof that you can have many spots and they could all be benign. Hang in there. Keep us posted. Will be praying.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics