The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Vemurafenib (PLX4032) promotes epigenetic changes in melanoma cells leading to development of more invasive metastatic disease

Forums General Melanoma Community Vemurafenib (PLX4032) promotes epigenetic changes in melanoma cells leading to development of more invasive metastatic disease

Participant

An abstract of one of the presentations at

8th International Congress of The Society for Melanoma Research
      November 9–11, 2011

The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA,

An abstract of one of the presentations at

8th International Congress of The Society for Melanoma Research
      November 9–11, 2011

The Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA,

PLX4032, clinically known as vemurafenib, is a V600EBRAF selective
      inhibitor. It is effective in patients containing V600EBRAF protein,
      leading to an ~80% partial or complete anti-tumor response rate
      during the first 2 month treatment cycle. An average regression
      period of 2–18 and 6.2 months progression-free survival is observed
      but all patients eventually relapse developing drug resistant invasive
      disease. Recurrence can be caused by secondary BRAF mutations,
      alternate pathways of MAPK reactivation, or activation of compensating
      alternative survival pathways. The mechanisms promoting
      disease recurrence to BRAF targeting agents are an extremely
      important area of research for the clinical management of melanoma,
      which remains to be completely unraveled and the epigenetic
      contribution to this process in unknown. Once the mechanisms are
      completely elucidated, this information would be useful for designing
      better approaches to prevent resistance and disease recurrence.

This study demonstrates that an acquired more invasive resistant phenotype
      can occur following treatment with BRAF inhibitors by increasing
      methyl transferases activity to promote epigenetic silencing of genes
      regulating this process.

Vemurafenib treatment led to promoter
      methylation and silencing of the invasion suppressor CD82 in
      melanoma cells. Lack of CD82 in turn increased the invasive potential
      of the cells, promoting migration through vessel and capillary walls,
      thereby aiding development of metastases. Invasive metastatic
      disease mediated by silencing of CD82 could be reversed using
      5-aza-2¢-deoxycytidine (5AzaC), clinically known as decitabine, which
      then decreased the invasive phenotype mediated by these agents.
      These observations suggest that combining BRAF targeting with DNA
      demethylating agents might be one clinically effective approach to
      overcome the development of resistant invasive melanoma following
      treatment with agents such as vemurafenib.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JerryfromFauq
        Participant

Interesting.  We definitely need something to attack the next step after"PLX-4032" stops being effective.  Wish they were freer with the reports from this meeting. 

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

Jerry, I agree. Hopefully we can get more info soon. I have read that Dr Roger Lo has been researching this area, with MRF support.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Jerry, I agree. Hopefully we can get more info soon. I have read that Dr Roger Lo has been researching this area, with MRF support.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Interesting.  We definitely need something to attack the next step after"PLX-4032" stops being effective.  Wish they were freer with the reports from this meeting. 

JerryfromFauq
                  Participant

MichaelFL
                    Participant

This is nothing new. Researchers have been aware of this for several years now. As the article states, they're working on it by "designing better approaches to prevent resistance and disease recurrence".

killmel
                        Participant

The statment: "This study demonstrates that an acquired more invasive resistant phenotype
                          can occur following treatment with BRAF inhibitors by increasingmethyl transferases activity to promote epigenetic silencing of genesregulating this process."

I think that the "new" information from the researcher is that once BRAF stops working that acquired  "more invasive" resistant phenotype can occur following treatment with BRAF inhibitors. In other words, ones Braf stops working, the tumor/mel  is more invasive resistant to treatment.

My interpretation could be wrong, anyone else have a opinion?

killmel
                          Participant

The statment: "This study demonstrates that an acquired more invasive resistant phenotype
                            can occur following treatment with BRAF inhibitors by increasingmethyl transferases activity to promote epigenetic silencing of genesregulating this process."

I think that the "new" information from the researcher is that once BRAF stops working that acquired  "more invasive" resistant phenotype can occur following treatment with BRAF inhibitors. In other words, ones Braf stops working, the tumor/mel  is more invasive resistant to treatment.

MichaelFL
                            Participant

Yeah, I guess that is why some patients say it comes back with a vengeance.

MichaelFL
                              Participant

MichaelFL
                                Participant

You gonna post that at MIF too?

MichaelFL
                                  Participant

MichaelFL
                                    Participant

MichaelFL
                                      Participant

killmel
                                        Participant

MichaelFL
                                        Participant

This is nothing new. Researchers have been aware of this for several years now. As the article states, they're working on it by "designing better approaches to prevent resistance and disease recurrence".

MichaelFL
                                          Participant

Bailey
                                            Participant

Seems to raise issues to be discussed with clinicians in deciding on treatment strategies:  if both Yervoy and Zelboraf are options, should Yervoy be the first option and Zelboraf the backup, especially if mets are not extensive when treatment for newly-diagnosed patients at Stage IV begins?  Is there a current back-up to Zelboraf when Zelboraf is no longer effective?  Is that realistically Yervoy, since Yervoy apparently takes some months to evoke an effective immunological response even in patients who do respond to it?  Asked this last question of a prominent medical oncologist who has been actively involoved in research on both drugs; response was "that's a good question."  Probably is, but it's also the patient's quality of life and the patient's survival time, and if the order in which treatments are used potentially impacts time of survival, it's an important question in the near term, until an effective way to block the relapses is developed.

mombase
                                                Participant

My onc and I discussed this prior to deciding the order of treatments. After comparing a new scan with a baseline scan (3 months apart), he asked me what I thought based on my several weeks of research. I told him Yervoy followed by Zelboraf based on the a) fairly low tumor load, b) history of brain tumors, and c) stability of tumors since the last scan. He was in total agreement. I feel pretty fortunate that the answer was so obvious and straight-forward for me!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                  Participant

My onc and I discussed this prior to deciding the order of treatments. After comparing a new scan with a baseline scan (3 months apart), he asked me what I thought based on my several weeks of research. I told him Yervoy followed by Zelboraf based on the a) fairly low tumor load, b) history of brain tumors, and c) stability of tumors since the last scan. He was in total agreement. I feel pretty fortunate that the answer was so obvious and straight-forward for me!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                    Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

Bailey
                                                    Participant

Seems to raise issues to be discussed with clinicians in deciding on treatment strategies:  if both Yervoy and Zelboraf are options, should Yervoy be the first option and Zelboraf the backup, especially if mets are not extensive when treatment for newly-diagnosed patients at Stage IV begins?  Is there a current back-up to Zelboraf when Zelboraf is no longer effective?  Is that realistically Yervoy, since Yervoy apparently takes some months to evoke an effective immunological response even in patients who do respond to it?  Asked this last question of a prominent medical oncologist who has been actively involoved in research on both drugs; response was "that's a good question."  Probably is, but it's also the patient's quality of life and the patient's survival time, and if the order in which treatments are used potentially impacts time of survival, it's an important question in the near term, until an effective way to block the relapses is developed.

Bailey
                                                      Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics