The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

UV Index

Forums General Melanoma Community UV Index

Participant

Any good recommendations for where to find the UV index for the day? The weather app on my phone (Living Earth) said 11 at the same time that AccuWeather.com said 5 and Weather.com said 9. I try to stay indoors between 10 AM and 4 PM anyway and I have SPF 50 Broad Spectrum sunscreen, face lotion, and lip balm as well as a UPF 50+ wide-brimmed hat but when the UV Index hits 11 or higher, I generally just stay inside, period, to stay on the safe side.

So where do y'all get your UV index info from? Or am I worrying about it for nothing?

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        RJoeyB
        Participant

Interesting question, I didn't realize there was such a wide variation in reported UV indexes. I've been using one for my iPhone (there are also Android and BlackBerry versions) that the EPA publishes, just called "UV Index", or "SunWise UV Index" — it's in the App Store, or you can Google "epa uv index" and a link to the mobile apps should be one or the search results. Funny thing is that I slather and/of cover up pretty well regardless.

Joe

RJoeyB
          Participant

Interesting question, I didn't realize there was such a wide variation in reported UV indexes. I've been using one for my iPhone (there are also Android and BlackBerry versions) that the EPA publishes, just called "UV Index", or "SunWise UV Index" — it's in the App Store, or you can Google "epa uv index" and a link to the mobile apps should be one or the search results. Funny thing is that I slather and/of cover up pretty well regardless.

Joe

RJoeyB
            Participant

Joe

arthurjedi007
              Participant

Dunno about the uv index but I also wear special uv 50+ clothing. I get mine from coolibar.com but I think there are other places too.

Socks
                  Participant

I have a Coolibar skirt. I really like their stuff but they're pricey. @__@

Socks
                    Participant

Socks
                      Participant

arthurjedi007
                      Participant

Dunno about the uv index but I also wear special uv 50+ clothing. I get mine from coolibar.com but I think there are other places too.

arthurjedi007
                        Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics