The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update – Six year stage IV survivor

Forums General Melanoma Community Update – Six year stage IV survivor

Participant

Hi to all. Haven't been on this board in many months, but for some reason have been thinking about the incredible support I have received from people here over my six year journey.

I am a six year, Stage IV survivor currently on the Roche BRAF/MEK Phase Ib trial. Have been on the trial for about 15 months now with a great response. Have no FDG activity on PET and the one problematic tumor, which is on my right adrenal gland, went from 6 cm to 1.8cm. It is still hanging in there, hasn't changed in size over the course of multiple scans. I have never had the pleasure of NED status since my Stage IV status and have grown accepting of living with tumor in my body if it is well controlled with treatment.

Over the past six months  have seen side effects of the therapy diminish greatly after the common battles with joint pains, mouth sores, drug rashes, fatigue, etc. Lingering side effects include hypersensitiviy to the sun, which I am managing fairly well. I even have a head to toe sun protective outfit to go to the beach in if I desire to do so. Quite fetching! Also have bouts of fatique and occasional joint pains. Mangeable given that I no longer work and have lots of flexibility in my schedule.

That's about it. Glad to have this community available and thankful to all of you who are dedicated "posters!"

Eileen L

Stage IV survivor

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

Thanks for posting this–6 years, that's awesome.  I've been on the GSK combo for 8 weeks as an initial treatment following diagnosis (w/ heavy tumor burden).  I felt great within days of starting and continue to feel great.  I have my first scan this week and am expecting good results.  Your continuing success with the treatment is very inspiring.

Mat
          Participant

Thanks for posting this–6 years, that's awesome.  I've been on the GSK combo for 8 weeks as an initial treatment following diagnosis (w/ heavy tumor burden).  I felt great within days of starting and continue to feel great.  I have my first scan this week and am expecting good results.  Your continuing success with the treatment is very inspiring.

Mat
            Participant

BrianP
              Participant

Awesome report Eileen.  Thanks for updating us.  I bet that beach outfit is quite fetching :).

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Awesome report Eileen.  Thanks for updating us.  I bet that beach outfit is quite fetching :).

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Brian

GAngel
                    Participant

Dear Eileen,

Praying for your continued response and success with treatment! You are very inspiring and bring hope that this treatment has longevity!  My husband has been on combo 9 weeks and so far so good!

Keep on being a survivor!

God bless you and yours,

Gina

GAngel
                      Participant

Dear Eileen,

Praying for your continued response and success with treatment! You are very inspiring and bring hope that this treatment has longevity!  My husband has been on combo 9 weeks and so far so good!

God bless you and yours,

Gina

GAngel
                        Participant

Dear Eileen,

God bless you and yours,

Gina

kpcollins31
                          Participant

Congratulations – always good to hear the success stories.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                            Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                              Participant

Kevin

MaryD
                                Participant

Hi Eileen,

I think you are the same Eileen I met in San Francisco some years back at a seminar – had been wondering how you were doing.

So glad the Braf/MEK combination is working so well for you and that the side effects are diminishing so that you can just enjoy life  ๐Ÿ™‚

I just reached my 5 year NED milestone which I could never have imagined some years back – it's good to hear that more and more of us Stage IV folks are stable and doing well with the new ammunition we have to fight it.

Wishing you continued good luck!

Mary

MaryD
                                  Participant

Hi Eileen,

I think you are the same Eileen I met in San Francisco some years back at a seminar – had been wondering how you were doing.

So glad the Braf/MEK combination is working so well for you and that the side effects are diminishing so that you can just enjoy life  ๐Ÿ™‚

I just reached my 5 year NED milestone which I could never have imagined some years back – it's good to hear that more and more of us Stage IV folks are stable and doing well with the new ammunition we have to fight it.

Mary

MaryD
                                    Participant

Hi Eileen,

Mary

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics