The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Side Effects

Forums Caregiver Community Update on Side Effects

Participant

Hi Family, well, as ya know, i went to the ER for 5 hours only to be told i was ok hahah, did blood work, gave my an IV gave me crakers, applesause & what not and i was ejected out their roof {yet safely landed pretty damn close to my car} i had them notify my Oncoligist {which they did} all they gave was another type of anti-nausea called Compozine {pills} which is way better then those "melts" sublingual crap called Zofran wich mind you, is nasty as hell when yer stomach has been on "E" for the past 2 weeks, the Compozine ya just wash it down with a bevredge…Still, nothin given for hunger!! and my wife told me to request a med called Megace, no such luck…..well, God works in mysterious ways, my wife is a caregiver to an elderly man named Max {bless his heart} he just passed away Sunday nite {not on her shift} but nevertheless, she drove over there to give respect to the "son" Corey, &  and before she left she asked about "Megace" which was one {of many} medications Max took, my wife asked if she could take it home for me, no problem. …Check this out! "2" teaspoons within 24hrs and my Hunger is back pretty much to normal!!! {WITH NO HELP FROM Kaiser} and the CBD/THC oils have been great for pains {and nausea for the most part}…So, in a turtle shell, my wife & I treated my own side effects! wtf? i hadnt eaten in almost 2 weeks! i thought the CBD & THC oil would do me right with the hunger, heck no! wich is odd to me, but works fab on knees leg pains…My strength is coming back, i dont feel like "wasting" as its called cause i was headen down a very dark paith by not eating, everything i put in my mouth was not happening except yogurt, apple sauce, Ensures, bevridges, but a man cant live off Liquids alone! knock on wood, im gettin stronger now guys!!! im back in the saddle!  i do ipi/nivo combo #2 Friday, June 1st, BRING IT ON! i have my own remedies now! haha…take care extended Family, you all freakin Rock! yer inputs & encouragements have been explosive to my heart….Mike PS: Whats with the Im Not A Robot {reCAPTCHA} thing now? didnt know Robots where susceptible to Melanoma?

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mark_DC
        Participant

Glad you are back Mike – you left us hanging wondering whether you were going to the ER or not, and I was kind of worried. great that you solved your problem and you are regaining strength and will be ready for your second combo – wonderful news.

I am not a robot either – but if I was would i confess to being one? (Now its asking for street signs and I think i failed!)

good that you are recovering and your energy back

Mark

jennunicorn
          Participant

Glad to hear you're doing and feeling a lot better! Do what you gotta do to get through it 🙂

dessie
              Participant

Yay  happy to hear you are doing better… just ask your oncologist if megace is the proper appetite stimulant for you.. there are new products out there although because  I am unfamiliar whith the latest and greatest as this is not my area of medicicne, i remember Megace, but also remember the oncoloigst telling some of the patients that it is not for everyone, so just be careful..

Keep the fight going and glad to hear you are A- ok!!

Dessie

Coragirl
              Participant

So good to hear you are feeling better.

Hukill
                Participant

After my first combo I had to make myself eat, just wasn't hungry. I lost 26 pounds the first month, I called it the melanoma diet. Now after 23 months of treatment I lost the melanoma but gained the weight back. I guess it wasn't a bad trade.

BillB
                  Participant

Good to hear you are doing better. Keep the fight going and good luck on Friday!

Bill

QuietPoet
                      Participant

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, even if it's not so legal. While I have my own gripes with Kaiser (not willing to give my daughter physical therapy when she had cerebral palsy because that would have admitted potential fault on their part), I'm sure these sorts of issues happen within other systems as well. In any case, I'm so glad you posted an update and that you've taken the bull by the horns, so to speak. But I'm also sorry you went through that unneccesarily. That sort of thing is just maddening. Keep up the good fight, man! Love to read your updates.

Viewing 4 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics