The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on my husband

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on my husband

Participant
      Well, because of the high steroids due to reaction to ipi, he is now dealing with aspergillious. He has fungal balls in the upper lobes of his lungs. He had a heimlich tube put in after the lung collapsed after his bronchoscopy. Week later, two chest tubes after a failed vats procedure. He currently still has two chest tubes. He is on IV anti fungal medicine voriconazole. I administer it at home. Oh yeah, forgot that at Tuesdays doctor appointment, picc line was put in.
      Infectious disease doctor said this treatment takes a year. I would love to be dealing with this in a year, not reality for us. I believe we are rounding third base heading for home.
      All in all, liver seems to have recovered from the ipi and we are still lowering the steroids. We started at 360mg of methylprednisolone. Now we are at 112mg!
      His pain is being managed by mscontin and dilaudid. He sleeps a lot during the day, not so much at night. Pain management doctor is adding a stimulant during the day to try and keep him up during the day so he sleeps at night.
      I am no longer working. He can’t really be alone. Medications have him pretty woozy.
      We seem to have moved from living to waiting to die. Not a good place to be.
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          My heart goes out to you. Mel got my father, then I was diagnosed a month later, currently stage 4. It is a horrible, horrible disease.. Try to take care of yourself and maybe someone can help out to give you a break. I will say a prayer for you both to have peace in your days.
          awillett1991
          Participant
            My heart goes out to you. Mel got my father, then I was diagnosed a month later, currently stage 4. It is a horrible, horrible disease.. Try to take care of yourself and maybe someone can help out to give you a break. I will say a prayer for you both to have peace in your days.
            awillett1991
            Participant
              s Mom
              Participant

I am so sad to hear this – I HATE this disease.  

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                Participant

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                  Participant

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

susanr
                    Participant

I am so sorry…prayers to you and your husband.  Wish I could say or do something to help you.

Please keep us posted and use this forum for help……..

susanr
                      Participant

I am so sorry…prayers to you and your husband.  Wish I could say or do something to help you.

susanr
                        Participant

H555
                          Participant

like all the others i'm so sorry to hear this. someone needs to find a cure for this ugly disease. i'll add you both to my prayers.

Snickers60
                              Participant

Breaks my heart to read your post !   So very, very sorry !   Wish I could bring you a meal – give you a hug – 

or just sit and weep with you.    WAITING may be one of the worst parts of this disease, no matter what you are 

waiting for.    MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU !    THE LORD STRENGTHEN YOU TO FACE 

These CRUEL, CRUEL Days !     ๐Ÿ™    (((((((((HUGS)))))))))

Snickers60
                                Participant

Breaks my heart to read your post !   So very, very sorry !   Wish I could bring you a meal – give you a hug – 

or just sit and weep with you.    WAITING may be one of the worst parts of this disease, no matter what you are 

waiting for.    MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH YOU !    THE LORD STRENGTHEN YOU TO FACE 

Snickers60
                                  Participant

H555
                                  Participant

like all the others i'm so sorry to hear this. someone needs to find a cure for this ugly disease. i'll add you both to my prayers.

H555
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics