The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on Dave – Gamma Knife on Wed

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on Dave – Gamma Knife on Wed

Participant

Well, we've had a heck of a week.  Dave and I visited with the trial nurse for the MDX-1105 last Wednesday, and they requested a brain MRI prior to starting.  A lumbar spine MRI indicated a bulging disk which is causing Dave's back pain (done on Tuesday), but also diffuse bone mets to the spine.  On Wednesday we travelled to UPMCs Hillman Cancer Center for the MK-3475 trial, but the only seat left is for post IPI patients.  Back to Roswell Friday, and an upper spine MRI showed additional diffuse mets to the upper spine, and brain MRI today showed 6

Well, we've had a heck of a week.  Dave and I visited with the trial nurse for the MDX-1105 last Wednesday, and they requested a brain MRI prior to starting.  A lumbar spine MRI indicated a bulging disk which is causing Dave's back pain (done on Tuesday), but also diffuse bone mets to the spine.  On Wednesday we travelled to UPMCs Hillman Cancer Center for the MK-3475 trial, but the only seat left is for post IPI patients.  Back to Roswell Friday, and an upper spine MRI showed additional diffuse mets to the upper spine, and brain MRI today showed 6 small (all less than a centimeter) lesions on the brain.  So next up is gamma knife on Wednesday, and then he will start IPI Tuesday (hopefully).

I sometimes want to ask if they are reading HIS scan results, as after all this transpired today, Dave went back to work – he even amazed the neurosurgeon…

Any advice on gamma knife is much appreciated – he plans on going to work on Thursday.  He amazes me.

All my best to all you,

Maria

Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        killmel
        Participant

Maria,

When it rains, it pours.  I am so sorry to hear your bad news.  Just when you think you take 1 step forward then you find brain mets. you must be devastated.

I hope the gamma knife goes well and IPI is the answer to your prayers.

God Bless you both.

killmel
          Participant

Maria,

When it rains, it pours.  I am so sorry to hear your bad news.  Just when you think you take 1 step forward then you find brain mets. you must be devastated.

God Bless you both.

killmel
            Participant

Maria,

God Bless you both.

bikerwife
              Participant
                My husband had gamma knife for 5 mets in february went fishing the next day. It is a scary process but he did fine.

We have had ipi but dr told us that after finishing the first scan may show growth and it did. So instead of waiting for next scan he decided to start zelbraf cause he tested positive for some gene.

He had no problems with ipi. Dr also doing some radiation under arm because test show radiation boost ipi tcells or something.

Gamma knife was a breeze for him. May God bless y’all. It takes a long time I took a friend along for company.

bikerwife
                Participant
                  My husband had gamma knife for 5 mets in february went fishing the next day. It is a scary process but he did fine.

We have had ipi but dr told us that after finishing the first scan may show growth and it did. So instead of waiting for next scan he decided to start zelbraf cause he tested positive for some gene.

He had no problems with ipi. Dr also doing some radiation under arm because test show radiation boost ipi tcells or something.

Gamma knife was a breeze for him. May God bless y’all. It takes a long time I took a friend along for company.

bikerwife
                  Participant

s Mom
                    Participant

Hoping you get some news soon – you and your brave husband are in my prayers.  I've been reading about your journey with this disease.  You have endured so much, but your faith and strength are admirable.  Hoping for a good response to Gamma Knife on Wednesday – keep us updated.

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                      Participant

Hoping you get some news soon – you and your brave husband are in my prayers.  I've been reading about your journey with this disease.  You have endured so much, but your faith and strength are admirable.  Hoping for a good response to Gamma Knife on Wednesday – keep us updated.

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                        Participant

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

Phil S
                          Participant
                            Maria, Just wanted you to know that we are thinking about your family this week and praying for Dave’s good response to gamma knife and Ipi. You are doing such a great job as an advocate and caregiver for your husband! God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                            Phil S
                            Participant
                              Maria, Just wanted you to know that we are thinking about your family this week and praying for Dave’s good response to gamma knife and Ipi. You are doing such a great job as an advocate and caregiver for your husband! God Bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                Karin L
                                Participant

Thank you Maria for keeping us posted about Dave.  You will both be in my prayers that this week goes quickly and without too much stress!  And of course, for super good outcomes. 

Karin

Karin L
                                  Participant

Thank you Maria for keeping us posted about Dave.  You will both be in my prayers that this week goes quickly and without too much stress!  And of course, for super good outcomes. 

Karin

Karin L
                                    Participant

Karin

Phil S
                                    Participant
                                      Ali
                                      Participant

Good luck!  Prayers for you guys!

Ali
                                        Participant

Ali
                                          Participant

gabsound
                                            Participant
                                              Maria,

I’m sorry to hear of the mets to the spine and brain. I pray that the Yervoy does the trick. It appears to definitely be working on my mets to lung, bone ( including spine) and liver. My oncologist also thinks it works on brain mets as well. My first scan post Yervoy looked like major progression of disease, but second scan showed amazing turn around. My oncologist said he has seen this many times, so 1st scan can be hard to interpret.

Best of luck to you both. Your husband sounds like a determined guy. I too have tried to just live my life as normally as I can.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                              Participant
                                                Maria,

I’m sorry to hear of the mets to the spine and brain. I pray that the Yervoy does the trick. It appears to definitely be working on my mets to lung, bone ( including spine) and liver. My oncologist also thinks it works on brain mets as well. My first scan post Yervoy looked like major progression of disease, but second scan showed amazing turn around. My oncologist said he has seen this many times, so 1st scan can be hard to interpret.

Best of luck to you both. Your husband sounds like a determined guy. I too have tried to just live my life as normally as I can.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                Participant
                                                  Maria,

Julie in Las Vegas

hope4cure1
                                                  Participant

Yes, you have definitely had one heck of a week.  No wonder you question what scans they're reading.  You guys have a wonderful fighting spirit, and Dave's going back to work just shows the positive attitude that is going to take you a long way.  I pray for good news and some peace for you guys.  Hang in there, Maria.  You are amazing!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                    Participant

Yes, you have definitely had one heck of a week.  No wonder you question what scans they're reading.  You guys have a wonderful fighting spirit, and Dave's going back to work just shows the positive attitude that is going to take you a long way.  I pray for good news and some peace for you guys.  Hang in there, Maria.  You are amazing!

Hope

hope4cure1
                                                      Participant

Hope

MeNDave
                                                        Participant

This is why I love this board…. thank you all for the positive thoughts…  I know he can still beat this!

Maria

MeNDave
                                                          Participant

This is why I love this board…. thank you all for the positive thoughts…  I know he can still beat this!

Maria

MeNDave
                                                            Participant

Maria

Hi Maria, devastated to hear your news and am keeping you in my prayers. IPI worked wonders for me with the exception of the baseball size mets in intestine, which were surgically removed last month. Scans this week are clean except for met on dome of gallbladder. We should be back at Roswell next week to decide on what comes next. Good luck with IPI. Hoping side effects aren’t too bad for Dave. Positive thoughts only!!! Kim
                                                                MeNDave
                                                                Participant

Hi Kim,

I am so glad you replied to this message.  I was wondering how you are doing – and I'm so glad to hear that things are finally getting better for you!  Dave handled the Gamma Knife relatively well.  We went in early due to unbearable leg pain that he could not get under control with his meds (oxycotin and oxycodone) so they ended up giving him some type of high dose NSAID that finally worked.  The pain seems to be related to a pinched nerve… go figure.  We will be there on Wednesday – appointment at 9 then (hopefully) infusion at 11:30.  Maybe we'll see you there ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care,

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                  Participant

Hi Kim,

I am so glad you replied to this message.  I was wondering how you are doing – and I'm so glad to hear that things are finally getting better for you!  Dave handled the Gamma Knife relatively well.  We went in early due to unbearable leg pain that he could not get under control with his meds (oxycotin and oxycodone) so they ended up giving him some type of high dose NSAID that finally worked.  The pain seems to be related to a pinched nerve… go figure.  We will be there on Wednesday – appointment at 9 then (hopefully) infusion at 11:30.  Maybe we'll see you there ๐Ÿ™‚

Take care,

Maria

MeNDave
                                                                    Participant

Hi Kim,

Take care,

Maria

Hi Maria, devastated to hear your news and am keeping you in my prayers. IPI worked wonders for me with the exception of the baseball size mets in intestine, which were surgically removed last month. Scans this week are clean except for met on dome of gallbladder. We should be back at Roswell next week to decide on what comes next. Good luck with IPI. Hoping side effects aren’t too bad for Dave. Positive thoughts only!!! Kim
                                                                Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics