The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update on 3b

Forums General Melanoma Community Update on 3b

Participant

Just got back from Mayo. I'm previous stage 3b Mel as well as pap thyroid cancer. They killed off the thyroid cancer with ablation earlier and I'm still clear. Had my PET and it showed up that I had appendicitis but I don't feel sick so false positive? They called me at 8pm after PET and quizzed me on any physical symptoms and to go to er if have any pain. Today went in and they said not sure what is going on but if I don't have symptoms that the best course of action is to do nothing. Have any of you had a situation similar with the PET? It also showed a bigger node and sugar pickup in the node. My original Mel was on arm and in armpit. My fat/hot node is near my appendix . I have to go back in 2 months for a follow up PET to see if the node has gotten bigger

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        MoiraM
        Participant

A PET scan will pick up group of cells that are taking up a lot of glucose. Groups of melanoma cells show up but so do lymph nodes producing lots of cells to fight an infection.

As I understand it, lots of people have low-level infections that are chronic and do not produce symptoms. The appendix is a common site for this.

I had the opposite problem. I had lumps on my CT scan that did not show up on my PET scan. I still don't know what the lumps are but everyone agrees they are not melanoma.

Here's hoping that their 'best guess' is correct and the enlarged lymph node is caused by some low-level infection and not a tumour.

MoiraM
          Participant

A PET scan will pick up group of cells that are taking up a lot of glucose. Groups of melanoma cells show up but so do lymph nodes producing lots of cells to fight an infection.

As I understand it, lots of people have low-level infections that are chronic and do not produce symptoms. The appendix is a common site for this.

I had the opposite problem. I had lumps on my CT scan that did not show up on my PET scan. I still don't know what the lumps are but everyone agrees they are not melanoma.

Here's hoping that their 'best guess' is correct and the enlarged lymph node is caused by some low-level infection and not a tumour.

MoiraM
            Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics