The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update For My Peeps

Forums General Melanoma Community Update For My Peeps

Participant

Thank you to everyone who helped me out on my last post. I just got a call from my onc. The tumor board reviewed my case and agree that surgery is a good option right now to get rid of this last stable stubborn armpit tumor. I will schedule a surgery consult next week and continue on with Nivo infusions for a while longer. But, now, I feel like I see a light at the end of this long tunnel and it is so nice!

I did ask her thoughts on adjuvant radiation, but she said while it may help keep that one area from recurring, it will also destroy all my good lymph nodes in there, and I'm a big fan of keeping as many lymph nodes as I can… as I sit here with double ear infections and a chest cold… I need all the fighting power in my body I can keep. And, if the mel wants to show up elsewhere down the line, radiation to one small area isn't going to do much anyway. So, surgery, little bit more Nivo, and hopefully I can have a more "normal" life for a while… whatever normal is anymore πŸ™‚

Wishing everyone a good weekend and sending big hugs to anyone that needs one!

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        SABKLYN
        Participant

Thanks for the update Jen and I think that's great news!  Use all the tools available and it sounds to me like surgery is a great option for that stubborn little weasel!  Good luck and best wishes

TexMelanomex
          Participant

Awesome Jenn, kick that last bastard to the curb and be NED!!! I said this in my thread but I'll say it here too: You are a Warrior. Your posts have been inspriring since I first found this board back in January. Wishing you an amazing weekend and much peace!

Tex

jennunicorn
              Participant

Thanks Tex! You are also a warrior and will show mel who is boss of your body soon enough! 

Mark_DC
              Participant

HI Jenn, I think its good news and a good plan too.

Did you/they consider tvec? Am thinking of this since I am facing a difficult surgery on my leg (removal surgery then reconstruction, long time and painful) so we are considering giving tvec a chance first, then going back to surgery if this fails. In your case is the surgery relatively easy? Or do they see problems with tvec?

Good luck, i think this will go well, and thanks for writing in

Mark

jennunicorn
                  Participant

I haven't asked about tvec nor has it been brought up, but I think due to the fact that the tumor is not easily felt from the outside, it's a little further in the armpit, that maybe tvec injections wouldn't be very easy. I don't suspect surgery will be too bad, it's on my non dominant arm side, and I heal up pretty quick. Thanks Mark πŸ™‚

Mat
                  Participant

Sounds like the right choice.  Good luck!

Bubbles
                    Participant

Sounds like a good plan and hopefully will be minimally invasive.  I wish you have a swift recovery!!!  celeste

dmturner
                      Participant

That is great news!  I have been following you since I was diagnosed last July 2016.  I had also opted out of CLND. 

jennunicorn
                          Participant

Hope you are doing well πŸ™‚

dmturner
                            Participant

Well not as successful as you.  I started a clinical trial May 1st and actually showed response in the first couple 6 weeks scans.  The last scan showed mixed results and that was 3 weeks ago.  My tumors have grown or the ones that I can physically feel/see.  Groin, under collar bone and the intransit lesions on my right foot.  So I will be heading to MD Anderson in Houston next weekend.  To evaluate, brain MRI and harvest a tumor for TIL. Plus, talked about a some other options will the tumor hopefully grows TILs.

Be Brave!!

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Dang it, sorry mel is being a huge pest to you! Sending many good thoughts your way for billions of TILs!

J.bun
                              Participant

Best of luck on this next “phase” of treatment. Every step forward is a step forward and hopefully kicks this to the curb for good!

BrianP
                                Participant

Good plan Jenn! 

I don't know if "normal" ever returns.  That can be a good thing also.

jennunicorn
                                    Participant

Thanks Brian! I agree, I'll never have "normal" as it once was, but going to less doctor appts and no more infusion appts will be soooo nice! πŸ™‚

Jahendry12
                                    Participant

Thanks for the update Jenn.  Wishing you all the best.  Let us know how the surgery goes.

jbronicki
                                      Participant

So glad to hear that there is light at end of tunnel Jenn, if anyone deserves it, it is YOU!  You provide so much support to others on this board, it's really unquantifiable the amount of good you do.  Hope the surgery goes great and you heal quickly! 

jennunicorn
                                          Participant
                                            Thank you so much Jackie, that made my day! πŸ™‚

Thanks for the update Jenn.  Good wishes for an easy surgery and a quick recovery.  Here's to feeling better and living the "normal" life!

Best,

Jennifer

WithinMySkin
                                          Participant

Its always such a relief to have a plan! If I remember correctly, you have lots of nausea after surgery — remember to tell the anesthesia team that you have SEVERE  "post op nausea vomiting" or P.O.N.V. Speak up and make sure you get the treatment you need!! Wishing you a super speedy recovery!

Lauren

jennunicorn
                                              Participant

Last night I went back to your post from a while ago to find those letters. That is the #1 thing I will be telling EVERYONE, starting with the surgeon at my consult tomorrow. Last time my surgery was done only 5 minutes from my house, so altough I was miserable and sick, I got to my bed quickly. This time it will be 45 minutes from home, so I definitely don't want the ride home to be full of me puking everywhere!  Thank you so much for giving me the right verbage to tell the team! πŸ™‚

TexMelanomex
                                                Participant

Did you get it done Jenn? Or still waiting on the surgery date?

TexMelanomex
                                                  Participant

PS I want your hat!! Where did you get it????

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics