The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update and question about cyberknife

Forums General Melanoma Community Update and question about cyberknife

Participant
      Hi,

My last scans showed mostly good news. No growth in any lung lesions, bones look pretty good. Still have lesions in the liver, but less active. One liver lesion did grow and show increased activity on the PET.

Dr thinks the Yervoy could very well continue to work and we could watch and wait. He also offers to do another course of Yervoy, but wants to irradiate the lesion in the liver that is growing.

Has anyone had this done in their liver? Wondering how painful and what to expect. The oncologist said they will likely do a biopsy first then they have to put in some markers around the lesion for the machine to track. From what I read, after that it’s 1 to 5 treatments.

I had the first dose of second round of Yervoy yesterday.

Also had our first real vacation since Dx in Jan 2011. We spent 10 days in Maine. Beautiful state! Also went to the museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Very relaxing. It was hard to see all the pale people (like me) on the beach sitting in the sun. I still enjoyed the beach , but did it late in the day or early in the am with sunscreen, a hat, pants and long sleeves.

Julie in Las Vegas

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        s Mom
        Participant

Hi Julie,

My son had SBRT (radiation) to his liver before he underwent IL2 this February.  There have been studies on radiation prior to immune therapy showing some really positive results – so your onc is on the right track with the combo of radiation and ippi.  Jeff's liver radiation side effects were fatigue and nausea.  The combo of radiation and IL2 didn't work for Jeff, and he had disease progression.  So… Zelboraf was his next course of treatment.  He has had severe joint pain, hair loss and sun sensitivity while on Zelboraf.

He recently had a liver biopsy – CT guided and it was no big deal (just a big needle).  Not painful at all – said it was a breeze in comparison to everything else he's done.  Hope that helps.  Good luck with ippi and God Bless!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

gabsound
            Participant
              Thanks Bridgette for the info. I’m trying to work and do all this without missing too much time. I hope Jeff has a durable response to Zelboraf.

Julie

gabsound
              Participant
                Thanks Bridgette for the info. I’m trying to work and do all this without missing too much time. I hope Jeff has a durable response to Zelboraf.

Julie

gabsound
                Participant

Julie

s Mom
                Participant

Hi Julie,

My son had SBRT (radiation) to his liver before he underwent IL2 this February.  There have been studies on radiation prior to immune therapy showing some really positive results – so your onc is on the right track with the combo of radiation and ippi.  Jeff's liver radiation side effects were fatigue and nausea.  The combo of radiation and IL2 didn't work for Jeff, and he had disease progression.  So… Zelboraf was his next course of treatment.  He has had severe joint pain, hair loss and sun sensitivity while on Zelboraf.

He recently had a liver biopsy – CT guided and it was no big deal (just a big needle).  Not painful at all – said it was a breeze in comparison to everything else he's done.  Hope that helps.  Good luck with ippi and God Bless!

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                  Participant

Hi Julie,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

hope4cure1
                    Participant

Congratulations on Yervoy success.  I hope that it contnues to do it's magic.  Also congratulations on going on a great vacation.  Working those good times in is strong medicine too!

Hope

gabsound
                        Participant
                          Thanks Hope

Julie

gabsound
                          Participant
                            Thanks Hope

Julie

gabsound
                            Participant
                              Thanks Hope

Julie

hope4cure1
                            Participant

Congratulations on Yervoy success.  I hope that it contnues to do it's magic.  Also congratulations on going on a great vacation.  Working those good times in is strong medicine too!

Hope

hope4cure1
                              Participant

Hope

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics