The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Update

Participant

After two miserable months of non-stop vomitting, nausea and increasingly intense pain, scans show that the Carboplatin/Taxol combination has not worked for my husband.  We were told yesterday that he has several more sites and significant growth in all existing sites.  For the first time, he does have cancer on an organ (his liver).  There is a tumor eating through the bone in his wrist, which has already been operated on once but continued to grow, but he cant be operated on or he could not start the newest, and final treatment being offered by his doctor (Abraxane/Avastin)

After two miserable months of non-stop vomitting, nausea and increasingly intense pain, scans show that the Carboplatin/Taxol combination has not worked for my husband.  We were told yesterday that he has several more sites and significant growth in all existing sites.  For the first time, he does have cancer on an organ (his liver).  There is a tumor eating through the bone in his wrist, which has already been operated on once but continued to grow, but he cant be operated on or he could not start the newest, and final treatment being offered by his doctor (Abraxane/Avastin).  We were told that we could expect that in the next 3 to 6 months either the cancer would spread to internal organs and cause failure, or the tumor burden would become so great that the toxins in his blood will likely cause organ failure.  This new treatment could slow things down, but could also cause heart attack or stroke. 

I can't stand to see him so miserable.  He is nauseous and in pain all the time.  He just got a fentanyl patch and started on Morphine, so today has been thankfully better than the past week. 

I know there is no question in my ramblings, just needed to share it and not have to deal with all of the human emotions it evokes when I tell family and friends.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        kristine
        Participant

Sometimes "rambling" helps.  Especially when everyone here can understand on some level.  God Bless you, your husband and your family.   Hang on to your faith – we're all behind you. 

mygirlmaddy
            Participant

Thank you for your kind words.

mygirlmaddy
              Participant

mygirlmaddy
                Participant

kristine
                Participant

Sometimes "rambling" helps.  Especially when everyone here can understand on some level.  God Bless you, your husband and your family.   Hang on to your faith – we're all behind you. 

kristine
                  Participant

Phil S
                    Participant
                      I am so sorry you and your husband are going thru this difficult time. Hopefully, you can work with his medical staff, to keep him comfortable, he shouldn’t have to suffer! I know what’s it like to deal with family and friends, difficult emotionally but they also don’t live your cancer life, so hard for them to truly understand. My husband is also stage IV with brain, lung mets, and several other locations, and I try to take one day at a time. Easier said than done, just know that others truly do understand your emotional turmoil, and wish you healing and peace in this next phase! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                        mygirlmaddy
                        Participant

Hi Valerie.  The few days since I posted this have been better with the fentanyl and morphine.  You are right about family not understanding.  My husband's stepfather, who lives 300 miles away, actually said to me that this was harder for them (he and my husband's mother) than it is for my daughter and for me.  I wanted to scream, but just smiled and said ok.  That was the first time that I truly understood how little they understood.

I'm sorry that you are also on this crazy roller coaster.  It seems that your faith is strong as are you.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Audrey

mygirlmaddy
                          Participant

Hi Valerie.  The few days since I posted this have been better with the fentanyl and morphine.  You are right about family not understanding.  My husband's stepfather, who lives 300 miles away, actually said to me that this was harder for them (he and my husband's mother) than it is for my daughter and for me.  I wanted to scream, but just smiled and said ok.  That was the first time that I truly understood how little they understood.

I'm sorry that you are also on this crazy roller coaster.  It seems that your faith is strong as are you.

Audrey

mygirlmaddy
                            Participant

Audrey

Phil S
                            Participant
                              I am so sorry you and your husband are going thru this difficult time. Hopefully, you can work with his medical staff, to keep him comfortable, he shouldn’t have to suffer! I know what’s it like to deal with family and friends, difficult emotionally but they also don’t live your cancer life, so hard for them to truly understand. My husband is also stage IV with brain, lung mets, and several other locations, and I try to take one day at a time. Easier said than done, just know that others truly do understand your emotional turmoil, and wish you healing and peace in this next phase! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                              Phil S
                              Participant
                                JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

We're not here just for questions and answers!  We're here for each other, whether it's for rambling, for listeniing, for whining or whatever else one needs.  We all need different things at different times.  Amazing how much controling pain and nausea can do for ones abiity to fight on!

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

We're not here just for questions and answers!  We're here for each other, whether it's for rambling, for listeniing, for whining or whatever else one needs.  We all need different things at different times.  Amazing how much controling pain and nausea can do for ones abiity to fight on!

JerryfromFauq
                                    Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics