The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

tumor recurrence during Zelboraf

Forums General Melanoma Community tumor recurrence during Zelboraf

Participant

Hello All  : I previously reported on my initial splendid results with Zelboraf therapy.  I am now experiencing a recurrence of tumor growth in my seventh month on this drug and hoping to hear about what the next steps in my path might be.  I visit w / my oncologist later this week and am scheduled for neck, chest & abdomen scans.

Hello All  : I previously reported on my initial splendid results with Zelboraf therapy.  I am now experiencing a recurrence of tumor growth in my seventh month on this drug and hoping to hear about what the next steps in my path might be.  I visit w / my oncologist later this week and am scheduled for neck, chest & abdomen scans.  Was heartened to read a post by PhoenixJ and the positive results she is receiving in her treatment with Ipi – is there a chance Phoenix you might reveal  the calculus as to why you were taking Zelboraf for two months then switched to Ipi?

Also I'm thinking my oncologist spoke before about my not being able to segue right into a Zelboraf / MEK trial because of my usage of Zelboraf?

And remembering that maybe my facility Seattle Cancer Care Alliance does not have a relationship w/ that drug at this time?

and that my wife looked it up & UCLA does??

Anyway I'm trying to amp up for this visit and so appreciate all the information shared on this site.  Please come forward with any thoughts or experiences you have on this subject

Cheers and all the best to you,  john

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Hi John sorry to hear Zelboraf has stopped working. I can't really answer your questions as my dad is currently on BRAF and doing well month 3, so we are not in your shoes just yet. I am aware that the drug will stop one day for him too so I am trying to keep an eye on current trials that might be plan B. Im sure you will get some more answers soon from ones who have moved on from Zelboraf.

Take care and all the best

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
          Participant

Hi John sorry to hear Zelboraf has stopped working. I can't really answer your questions as my dad is currently on BRAF and doing well month 3, so we are not in your shoes just yet. I am aware that the drug will stop one day for him too so I am trying to keep an eye on current trials that might be plan B. Im sure you will get some more answers soon from ones who have moved on from Zelboraf.

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
            Participant

Nahmi from Melbourne

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

John, I am sorry to read that you are having a recurrence of tumour growth. Unfortunately, Zelboraf has a fairly limited duration of response in many cases. Ipi (now called Yervoy) is a promising new drug that may be effective for a longer time.

I feel that surgery, if possible is the best initial way to deal with melanoma. Some other viable options could be IL-2 (interleukin-2), TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) and Anti PD-1 treatment.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

mbaelaporte
                  Participant

thanks for speaking up you guys

yes Frank 1 1/2 yrs ago i underwent a 7 1/2 hr.  surgery w/ a Doctor Neligan at the UWashington

he sits amongst the gods and sews real well too

then much exposure to radiation

visited w/ my oncologist yesterday and we talked Ipi  –  after reading through some posts today re: Ipi I'm feeling better about coming treatment

all the best, john

mbaelaporte
                    Participant

yes Frank 1 1/2 yrs ago i underwent a 7 1/2 hr.  surgery w/ a Doctor Neligan at the UWashington

visited w/ my oncologist yesterday and we talked Ipi  –  after reading through some posts today re: Ipi I'm feeling better about coming treatment

all the best, john

mbaelaporte
                      Participant

all the best, john

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

John, I am sorry to read that you are having a recurrence of tumour growth. Unfortunately, Zelboraf has a fairly limited duration of response in many cases. Ipi (now called Yervoy) is a promising new drug that may be effective for a longer time.

I feel that surgery, if possible is the best initial way to deal with melanoma. Some other viable options could be IL-2 (interleukin-2), TIL treatment (adoptive cell therapy) and Anti PD-1 treatment.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                        Participant

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Richard_K
                          Participant
                            John
                            Very sorry to hear about Zelboraf. While I can’t offer any advice, hopefully posting and bumping this thread to the top will garner some more replys. I am into my “worried period” as I have scans scheduled for next week.
                            Dick
                            Richard_K
                            Participant
                              John
                              Very sorry to hear about Zelboraf. While I can’t offer any advice, hopefully posting and bumping this thread to the top will garner some more replys. I am into my “worried period” as I have scans scheduled for next week.
                              Dick
                              Richard_K
                              Participant
                                John
                                Dick
                            Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics