The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Troubleshooting side effects

Forums General Melanoma Community Troubleshooting side effects

Participant

Hi all,

Yesterday I had my third infusion of pembro and am dead tired today, with an achy body. We restarted immunotherapy after a summer (June – August) dealing with brain mets recurrences that have left my scalp very sore and tender from the radiation. I've also had all 4 ipi-nivo infusions last year.

What confuses me is trying to identify what are side effects from the immunotherapy and what are just "normal" health issues. For instance, I've had hot & cold flashes for many months now, and believe I am in menopause (I'm at that age). However, reading these boards I have learned that others experience fevers and chills (at any age). In addition, my knees ache today like I've got the flu, plus I walked all over the city yesterday surrounding doctor appointments … but I've read on these boards that "joint pain" is a common side effect.

Also I noticed my feet occasionally feel differently lately but it's NOT tingling. Am I imagining symptoms or are they real? How do we know what's what?

Any & all thoughts appreciated!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Casitas1
        Participant

Hi, I have been on Pembro since Jan. this year. I've had that flu feeling two or three times a week throughout. Almost like i am starting to come down with something but never do. Also have the joint issues. Dr. said anywhere there is arthritis or previous surgeries/injury there can be immune issues. i have pain and or swelling in both knees,ankles and wrist. I constantly feel like my feet walked all day and night at Disneyland. I think the normal health issues are definitely enhanced from immunotherapy.

Best, Paul

Casitas1
          Participant

Hi, I have been on Pembro since Jan. this year. I've had that flu feeling two or three times a week throughout. Almost like i am starting to come down with something but never do. Also have the joint issues. Dr. said anywhere there is arthritis or previous surgeries/injury there can be immune issues. i have pain and or swelling in both knees,ankles and wrist. I constantly feel like my feet walked all day and night at Disneyland. I think the normal health issues are definitely enhanced from immunotherapy.

Best, Paul

Casitas1
            Participant

Best, Paul

Bubbles
              Participant

All immunotherapy products (ipi, nivo and pembro…or brand names yervoy, opdivo, and keytruda…if you like) cause similar side effects. Ipi usually causes the most but it varies person to person. Fatigue, rashes amd arthralgias are the most common and experienced by many. More concerning problems are pneumonitis or colitis as well as a host of immune related events…which are rarer but more significant and often need treatment (often steroids) and sometimes a break from the treatment med. There are many abstracts regarding side effects on my blog…use the search bubble if interested. Your complaints sound pretty typical, but I would certainly check with my medical provider to be sure.  Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

All immunotherapy products (ipi, nivo and pembro…or brand names yervoy, opdivo, and keytruda…if you like) cause similar side effects. Ipi usually causes the most but it varies person to person. Fatigue, rashes amd arthralgias are the most common and experienced by many. More concerning problems are pneumonitis or colitis as well as a host of immune related events…which are rarer but more significant and often need treatment (often steroids) and sometimes a break from the treatment med. There are many abstracts regarding side effects on my blog…use the search bubble if interested. Your complaints sound pretty typical, but I would certainly check with my medical provider to be sure.  Celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

debwray
                    Participant

Hi Maria,

Agree it is a real conundrum trying to sort out what is what.

Hot and cold flushes could be pembro, infection or menopause. My periods stopped when I started pembro… thought I was having hot flushes related to menopause but in the light of being latter diagnosed with an infection deep in tissue of an old surgical scar it is probable!e these were infection related as they stopped when the infection was eventually diagnosed and controlled.. The amount of heat my knee generated was startling and had various investigations as it didn' t present classically as infection. In my case it was prob the infection  but did not really run temperature spikes.

My feet have some nerve problems due to pinching in the spine, which changes the degree of sensation. If feels a bit like sensation numbed by walking on wet newspaper even if feet are bear. This has got worse whilst on pembro so my feet feel constantly numb.. Peripheral neuropathy… But if I am on my feet a lot this progresses to a fizzing type sensation and I also get cramping in my lower leg muscles and they feel stiff and resistant to movement. Worsening of symptoms could be pembro but could also be  worsening of spinal issues or a combo of the two….we just don't know yet but evidence isbring collected. 

Gut feeling is if you have inflammation or arthriti

s in an area of the body pembro might make it worse.. But not in every case. Feel like pembro acted as a magnifier of various symptoms in my case. You are not alone in trying to get all this figured out but it feels like early days yet for determining short and long trerm effects and working out likely timings for side effects . Seems to be some evidence side effects can be cummulative but this seems to vary with the different types.. Skin / endocrine/ etc

Hope it all sors out for you

Deb

debwray
                      Participant

Hi Maria,

Hot and cold flushes could be pembro, infection or menopause. My periods stopped when I started pembro… thought I was having hot flushes related to menopause but in the light of being latter diagnosed with an infection deep in tissue of an old surgical scar it is probable!e these were infection related as they stopped when the infection was eventually diagnosed and controlled.. The amount of heat my knee generated was startling and had various investigations as it didn' t present classically as infection. In my case it was prob the infection  but did not really run temperature spikes.

My feet have some nerve problems due to pinching in the spine, which changes the degree of sensation. If feels a bit like sensation numbed by walking on wet newspaper even if feet are bear. This has got worse whilst on pembro so my feet feel constantly numb.. Peripheral neuropathy… But if I am on my feet a lot this progresses to a fizzing type sensation and I also get cramping in my lower leg muscles and they feel stiff and resistant to movement. Worsening of symptoms could be pembro but could also be  worsening of spinal issues or a combo of the two….we just don't know yet but evidence isbring collected. 

s in an area of the body pembro might make it worse.. But not in every case. Feel like pembro acted as a magnifier of various symptoms in my case. You are not alone in trying to get all this figured out but it feels like early days yet for determining short and long trerm effects and working out likely timings for side effects . Seems to be some evidence side effects can be cummulative but this seems to vary with the different types.. Skin / endocrine/ etc

Deb

debwray
                        Participant

Hi Maria,

Deb

Polymath
                          Participant

Hi Maria,

Perhaps there is some consolation in that side-effects seem to also indicate response to therapy.  As someone who has experienced few side-effects, I have also had little response to various drug treatments.  Its weird to want side-effects but that's how I sometimes feel.  In the simplest terms, a revved up immune system starts detecting things in the body that it would normally not target.  So the T-cells attack, and cause inflammation.  Good for tumor destruction, bad for all the rest of your body that was otherwise doing just fine.  So at least you are most likely responding.  Lose the battle, win the war.

Gary

Polymath
                            Participant

Hi Maria,

Perhaps there is some consolation in that side-effects seem to also indicate response to therapy.  As someone who has experienced few side-effects, I have also had little response to various drug treatments.  Its weird to want side-effects but that's how I sometimes feel.  In the simplest terms, a revved up immune system starts detecting things in the body that it would normally not target.  So the T-cells attack, and cause inflammation.  Good for tumor destruction, bad for all the rest of your body that was otherwise doing just fine.  So at least you are most likely responding.  Lose the battle, win the war.

Gary

Polymath
                              Participant

Hi Maria,

Gary

Maria C
                                Participant

Thanks to all for replying. I honestly feel like the Tin Man who needs oiled to move my legs without pain. Once I start walking I'm fine, but it's getting up from a sitting position and taking those first steps that make me feel ancient. 

I never had athritis or any internal infection that I know of. And I have noticed my hot flashes mostly at night when I'm trying to sleep, and only in the day when I'm feeling stressed, so am leaning toward it being about menopause…which my doc & husband believe is a good sign my body is otherwise working right as it's about time for my "change." (An old Edith Bunker term, yes?!)

Compared to my extreme reactions to ipi/nivo (pneumonitis, retina-detachment), this is a walk in the park, but I am worried about cumulative effect and delayed reaction and really just want to get off the pembro asap. We will know more my next brain MRI at end of October.

What's also troublesome is the on & off ringing in my ears, which I only seem to notice also at night…

Maria C
                                  Participant

Thanks to all for replying. I honestly feel like the Tin Man who needs oiled to move my legs without pain. Once I start walking I'm fine, but it's getting up from a sitting position and taking those first steps that make me feel ancient. 

I never had athritis or any internal infection that I know of. And I have noticed my hot flashes mostly at night when I'm trying to sleep, and only in the day when I'm feeling stressed, so am leaning toward it being about menopause…which my doc & husband believe is a good sign my body is otherwise working right as it's about time for my "change." (An old Edith Bunker term, yes?!)

Compared to my extreme reactions to ipi/nivo (pneumonitis, retina-detachment), this is a walk in the park, but I am worried about cumulative effect and delayed reaction and really just want to get off the pembro asap. We will know more my next brain MRI at end of October.

What's also troublesome is the on & off ringing in my ears, which I only seem to notice also at night…

Maria C
                                    Participant

jvictoria
                                      Participant

Hi Maria,

have your cortisol levels been tested lately? I had similar symptons during Nivo and mine were on the floor.

jvictoria
                                        Participant

Hi Maria,

have your cortisol levels been tested lately? I had similar symptons during Nivo and mine were on the floor.

jvictoria
                                          Participant

Hi Maria,

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics