The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment Update_Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Treatment Update_Interferon

Participant

I am glad to report that I am scheduled to complete my last sub-q interferon injection around July 18th. Overall I tolerated the treatment well and had only minor symptoms assoicated with interferon over the last year.

I was able to work full-time during the treatment.

My last PETCT was in December 2011 and it was all clear. I am schedule to have additional PETCT in September 2012.

I am thankful for this form and the depth of information and encouragement that is available here.

Regards,

I am glad to report that I am scheduled to complete my last sub-q interferon injection around July 18th. Overall I tolerated the treatment well and had only minor symptoms assoicated with interferon over the last year.

I was able to work full-time during the treatment.

My last PETCT was in December 2011 and it was all clear. I am schedule to have additional PETCT in September 2012.

I am thankful for this form and the depth of information and encouragement that is available here.

Regards,

Allen

Stage III

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        triciad
        Participant

Congratulations…the countdown begins!  I bet you are looking forward to tasting food again!  Wishing you all the best with your energy and tastebuds back to normal soon!

Tricia

triciad
          Participant

Congratulations…the countdown begins!  I bet you are looking forward to tasting food again!  Wishing you all the best with your energy and tastebuds back to normal soon!

Tricia

triciad
            Participant

Tricia

DebbieH
              Participant

Congratulations Allen!  I only got through 9 months so my hat's off to you!  I don't know what I would have done without this forum during those dark days so long ago.  Good luck with your scans!

DebbieH, stage IIIC, NED 10+ years after interferon

DebbieH
                Participant

Congratulations Allen!  I only got through 9 months so my hat's off to you!  I don't know what I would have done without this forum during those dark days so long ago.  Good luck with your scans!

DebbieH
                  Participant

ockelly
                    Participant

Allen,  

Congrats!!!  Even after tolerating the year fairly well you'll be amazed at how good you will soon be feeling.  

My husband finished at the end of Feb.  Two weeks without injections and he was feeling great, a month after he was himself again.  He also thought he tolerated the year well but I think he had forgotten what feeling good really felt like.  

I will mention this… if you have been on any sleep aids or antianxiety medications, taper over a few weeks before stopping cold.  My hubby had been on Ativan 1mg (tiny dose) to counter nighttime anxiety and help him sleep.  He had some significant withdrawal symptoms from stopping abruptly.

Enjoy your interferon free days.

Kelly

ockelly
                      Participant

Allen,  

Congrats!!!  Even after tolerating the year fairly well you'll be amazed at how good you will soon be feeling.  

My husband finished at the end of Feb.  Two weeks without injections and he was feeling great, a month after he was himself again.  He also thought he tolerated the year well but I think he had forgotten what feeling good really felt like.  

I will mention this… if you have been on any sleep aids or antianxiety medications, taper over a few weeks before stopping cold.  My hubby had been on Ativan 1mg (tiny dose) to counter nighttime anxiety and help him sleep.  He had some significant withdrawal symptoms from stopping abruptly.

Kelly

ockelly
                        Participant

Allen,  

Kelly

UrsulaZ
                          Participant

Allen — Thank you for taking the time to post this!

I start my year of Interferon (or however long it turns out to be) in a few days, and it's encouraging to hear that it's possible to tolerate it fairly well. 

Anything you'd recommend to help me through the year?  

thanks again, 

Ursula

awg
                              Participant

Ursula,

I found that hydration helped me during the treatment. I consumed a lot of water (often high pH) to me it just had a better taste and that was my main reason for using high pH water. I also use Aleve in place of Ibuprofin, it works better for me and my Onc. also reccomended it, it allows me to take fewer pills. I did use Zofran during the early months of my injections but as time went by I was able to stop all medications with the exception of Aleve. I found that I learned what to eat, how much and when to go easy on meals and that helped with nausea without medication. If you need meds for nausea, take them, thay really helped me when I needed them, also Zofran does not make you drowsy like some other meds do.

I maintained failry normal activity but I tried to listen to what my body was telling me. When you feel tired REST, it is amazing how much this can help.

The early months I found it somewhat diffucult to concentrate but that eased up in later months.

It was as much a mental challenge as a physical challenge to get to this point and I am thankful I am close to finishing the treatment. I wanted to do everything possible to improve my situiation.  I know that I would be upset with myself if I did not throw everything available at this thing.

Best wished on your treatment!!

Allen

awg
                                Participant

Ursula,

I found that hydration helped me during the treatment. I consumed a lot of water (often high pH) to me it just had a better taste and that was my main reason for using high pH water. I also use Aleve in place of Ibuprofin, it works better for me and my Onc. also reccomended it, it allows me to take fewer pills. I did use Zofran during the early months of my injections but as time went by I was able to stop all medications with the exception of Aleve. I found that I learned what to eat, how much and when to go easy on meals and that helped with nausea without medication. If you need meds for nausea, take them, thay really helped me when I needed them, also Zofran does not make you drowsy like some other meds do.

I maintained failry normal activity but I tried to listen to what my body was telling me. When you feel tired REST, it is amazing how much this can help.

The early months I found it somewhat diffucult to concentrate but that eased up in later months.

It was as much a mental challenge as a physical challenge to get to this point and I am thankful I am close to finishing the treatment. I wanted to do everything possible to improve my situiation.  I know that I would be upset with myself if I did not throw everything available at this thing.

Allen

awg
                                  Participant

Ursula,

Allen

UrsulaZ
                                  Participant

I start my year of Interferon (or however long it turns out to be) in a few days, and it's encouraging to hear that it's possible to tolerate it fairly well. 

thanks again, 

Ursula

UrsulaZ
                                    Participant

thanks again, 

Ursula

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics