The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment update and scans

Forums General Melanoma Community Treatment update and scans

Participant

Greetings Melahomies!

Start the happy dance music!  My very small lung met came back stable.  It hasn't grown or changed!  Woohoo! Also my brain is normal, which is always a relief to know! Sometimes my friends wonder…

So, the plan is to remove the very small lung met and find out what it is.  It hasn't been biopsied so it could be primary lung cancer or mel or some other kind of funk. I'll talk with the Rock Star on Monday about the timing of this, but we're in no great hurry!

I also have immune related inflammatory arthritis in my knees, back and shoulders and thumbs. This has been very painful and debilitating (my knees and shoulders don't bend like they should). So, with mel being stable and not clamoring for attention, I'll see a rheumatologist and we'll move on to addressing my joint issues.  Yea!

So, this is where it's at with me. 

Thanks for all of your encouragement and wisdom!

Shalom!

Julie

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Sorry you are looking at a lung biopsy and dealing with arthralgias!!!  BUT….in melanoma world we get used to being happy about strange things, don't we???  Got the music playing loud and kicking back the rug for you!!  Hope you find relief for your arthralgias soon!!  Congrats!!  celeste

Mat
          Participant

Julie, glad to hear.  I've also recently joined the immunotherapy-induced arthritis club.  Kenalog (steroid) shots have made all the difference (like between walking and barely walking).  I'm also on 15mg/day prednisone with the goal of tapering.  I may start MTX (an arthritis drug).  Hate to add meds, but if it can help with the taper, I may try it.  Apparently takes a few months to kick-in.

Julie in SoCal
              Participant

Hey Mat!

Thanks for this bit of encouragement!  While I wouldn't wish this pain and debilitation on anyone, it's good to hear that there's light at the end of the tunnel.  Maybe I too can go from barely walking to walking!

Thanks again!

BrianP
              Participant

Great news Julie.  You got to get that arthritis under control so you can really cut loose on your happy dance.  Good luck with the upcoming surgery.  Hopefully it's just funk in there.

Brian

Casitas1
                Participant
                  Hey Julie, great news! Rock Star sent me to Dr. Troum and he’s a really brilliant and thorough Dr. and part of St. John’s. I also have immune arthritis from Pembro. Knees, ankles elbows. You name it it aches and swells. So far two doses Remicade, cortisone shots and 10 mg. Prednisone has put me right. What a relief! Glad your doing well and always watching for you at appts. Best, Paul
                    Julie in SoCal
                    Participant

Hey Paul,

I look for you, too. Maybe one day we'll meet at JWCI. 

The Rock Star has referred me to Traum, also.  But I'm having a hard time getting in through the front door.  I've called, left a message on their machine and also called and talked to a real person who said she couldn't make an appointment but would call me back.  What the heck!?! I'm not sure why it's hard to make an appointment.  Somehow I just don't have the pull, or something.   I'll talk with RS on Monday afternoon (will you be there, too?) and will see if he can work some behind the scenes magic.

It's encouraging to hear that you're doing well.  Give me hope!  Thank you!!

See you on Monday?

Julie

Casitas1
                      Participant

Hi Julie, Dr. Traum was out of town for three weeks. I saw him last Mon. RS got me my original appt but was on waiting list for a few weeks. Well worth the wait though and once your in your in… They are very accommodating. I am almost always at John Wayne on Wednesdays bout noon(next appt. march 22) I drive from Ventura so try to bundle my appts. on the same days.

You are very welcome!

Best, Paul

Julie in SoCal
                        Participant

Thanks Paul!  This is good to know.  I've just recently had an experience with a liver doctor whose front office couldn't find a telephone to return a call or a computer to send an email.  It was amazingly frustrating. I think I'm now primed to doubt (and loathe) all front offices (except RS's of course). 

Don't know if I'll be there on the 22nd.  Quite possibly.  I come from Huntington Beach, so like you, I cluster everything together.  RS is totally worth the drive.

Julie

Maria C
                        Participant

Hi Julie – so glad for your good news, and so good to hear from you!

jenny22
                          Participant

Hi Julie- congrats on some good news….hiping that lung "thing" turns not be a "thing"….

And of course hoping you can find soem relief from the arthritis pains….

For now, though stable is good, and cograts again.

jenny

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics