The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Treatment Options – Stage III

Forums General Melanoma Community Treatment Options – Stage III

Participant

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get a sense of what treatment options are out there for Stage III (Besides IFN-a). I had my CLND last week and am waiting for the results on that so I can be properly staged. Has anyone had experience with radiation? My surgical oncologist said that is an option if 3 or more lymph nodes are positive. I know a lot of these treatments are in clinical trials but would like to see what other people have gone through. This board is full really smart individuals!

Thanks,

Samuel

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

Hi Samuel,

Unfortunately there aren't many FDA-approved options for those of us at Stage III — just interferon. The consensus seems to be that it doesn't not have a very good response rate. The side effects are severe. But those who have undergone treatment with it and have finished that treatment, have no regrets.

The vaccine trial I'm in turned out to be a bit of a bust because it did not extend overal disease-free survival time. But there is a secondary endpoint they're striving for, so the trial will continue. Had the vaccine met its primary endpoint, there would have been an option for Stage III B/C patients probably within the year. As it is, we're just going to have to wait a while longer.

If your tumor has extracapsular extensions, then you might be offered radiation.

Another option you might be offered is "watch and wait", aka "observation only". Many at Stage III do perfectly well with this option.

There just isn't much out there for us, aside from some trials and those are few and far between as well.

Momrn5
            Participant
              Here is the site link for clinical trials. This one is for any stage 3 but unfortunately it is for unresectable disease…….we don’t want to be in that place. Hope you are recovering well from your surgery. I am having mine in 2 weeks and hopefully no other diseased nodes are found. Good Luck! http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01708941
              Momrn5
              Participant
                Here is the site link for clinical trials. This one is for any stage 3 but unfortunately it is for unresectable disease…….we don’t want to be in that place. Hope you are recovering well from your surgery. I am having mine in 2 weeks and hopefully no other diseased nodes are found. Good Luck! http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01708941
                Momrn5
                Participant
                Linny
                Participant

Hi Samuel,

Unfortunately there aren't many FDA-approved options for those of us at Stage III — just interferon. The consensus seems to be that it doesn't not have a very good response rate. The side effects are severe. But those who have undergone treatment with it and have finished that treatment, have no regrets.

The vaccine trial I'm in turned out to be a bit of a bust because it did not extend overal disease-free survival time. But there is a secondary endpoint they're striving for, so the trial will continue. Had the vaccine met its primary endpoint, there would have been an option for Stage III B/C patients probably within the year. As it is, we're just going to have to wait a while longer.

If your tumor has extracapsular extensions, then you might be offered radiation.

Another option you might be offered is "watch and wait", aka "observation only". Many at Stage III do perfectly well with this option.

There just isn't much out there for us, aside from some trials and those are few and far between as well.

Linny
                  Participant

Hi Samuel,

BrianP
                    Participant

Hey  Samuel,

Sorry you are in this position with some tough decisions ahead of you.  This may be oversimplifying it a bit but I see your choices as the following:

1)   Interferon.  Since you are looking for other options I’m assuming you’ve done your research on interferon so I won’t give my 2 cents.

2)  Watch and wait.  For stage III NED it’s definitely a viable option.  I think if you do go this route you should seriously consider changes to your diet, get on a good exercise plan, and be extremely vigilant with your self examines and regular derm check ups.

3)  BIO/Chemo.  Probably viewed as a very aggressive approach to stage III NED due to the toxicity involved with many of these treatments.  Many probably felt in the past that the results of these treatments did not justify the toxicity but some of the cocktails they are coming up with today do sound promising.  Here is a recent thread about the subject:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/biochemotherapy-3-rounds-total-stage-3b-when-did

4)  Clinical trial.  As previously mentioned you can research clinical trials at clinicaltrials.gov.  MRF also has a free service where they will help you find trials in which you might qualify.  Here is the link:  http://www.emergingmed.com/networks/MRF/

I haven’t looked recently but I’m sure there are probably a few vaccine trials and I know there are some trials comparing interferon and Yervoy.

Good luck with your pending results and your treatment choice.

Brian

sbrooks90
                        Participant

Thanks everyone for your input! ๐Ÿ™‚

Brian thanks for laying out options… I have yet to meet with a medical oncologist but will absolutely ask about all of these. I live in Canada and we have slightly different clinical trials than the States but im sure they are similar. A lot of these clinical trials seem to depend on what subset stage you are (IE. Stage IIIb or c). I am anxious to find out what the results of my CLND are… one step at a time I guess.

Lets get er done,

Samuel

sbrooks90
                          Participant

Brian thanks for laying out options… I have yet to meet with a medical oncologist but will absolutely ask about all of these. I live in Canada and we have slightly different clinical trials than the States but im sure they are similar. A lot of these clinical trials seem to depend on what subset stage you are (IE. Stage IIIb or c). I am anxious to find out what the results of my CLND are… one step at a time I guess.

Lets get er done,

Samuel

sbrooks90
                            Participant

Lets get er done,

Samuel

BrianP
                            Participant

Hey  Samuel,

Sorry you are in this position with some tough decisions ahead of you.  This may be oversimplifying it a bit but I see your choices as the following:

1)   Interferon.  Since you are looking for other options I’m assuming you’ve done your research on interferon so I won’t give my 2 cents.

2)  Watch and wait.  For stage III NED it’s definitely a viable option.  I think if you do go this route you should seriously consider changes to your diet, get on a good exercise plan, and be extremely vigilant with your self examines and regular derm check ups.

3)  BIO/Chemo.  Probably viewed as a very aggressive approach to stage III NED due to the toxicity involved with many of these treatments.  Many probably felt in the past that the results of these treatments did not justify the toxicity but some of the cocktails they are coming up with today do sound promising.  Here is a recent thread about the subject:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/biochemotherapy-3-rounds-total-stage-3b-when-did

4)  Clinical trial.  As previously mentioned you can research clinical trials at clinicaltrials.gov.  MRF also has a free service where they will help you find trials in which you might qualify.  Here is the link:  http://www.emergingmed.com/networks/MRF/

I haven’t looked recently but I’m sure there are probably a few vaccine trials and I know there are some trials comparing interferon and Yervoy.

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Hey  Samuel,

Brian

blden2186
                                Participant
                                  I also have stage 3c and went with the interferon. The 4 week treatment left me pretty exhausted but the shots have not been too bad. 1st shot I had a reaction of chills but have been fine since. I could have gone with biochemo but I could not have gotten radiation, plus the fact that you have to be hospitalized due to toxicity. I feel positive about my choice.
                                  blden2186
                                  Participant
                                    I also have stage 3c and went with the interferon. The 4 week treatment left me pretty exhausted but the shots have not been too bad. 1st shot I had a reaction of chills but have been fine since. I could have gone with biochemo but I could not have gotten radiation, plus the fact that you have to be hospitalized due to toxicity. I feel positive about my choice.
                                    blden2186
                                    Participant
                                  Viewing 8 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics