The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tomorrow is 10 years!!!!!

Forums General Melanoma Community Tomorrow is 10 years!!!!!

Participant

Today is February 9, 2014. 

On February 10, 2004, I had my most recent (what wound up being the last so far) of 6 cancer surgeries. When I woke up  later that afternoon, I found that my arms and hands were numb and tingly. My wife explained to me that while on the surgery table, my iliac artery exploded due to the cancer which had so compromised the arterial wall that it could not take the pressure. 
      When the surgeon came in the next morning, he explained to me what had happened. He was finished working on the tumor which had wrapped around the iliac vein, and was ready to tackle the part of the tumor which had wrapped around the iliac artery. When he touched the scalpel to the artery wall, it exploded. He continued on, telling me if not for the quick response from his partner, I would've bled out on the table. He said that I lost 1250 cc's of blood. 
      According to Melanoma protocols, the standard procedures for cancer diagnostic scans, and follow up, the first 24 months following an occurrence, or recurrence, the patient is observed closely every 3 months. If the patient reaches the 25-60 month mark, they are observed once every 6 months. Once they hit the five year mark, they are observed annually out to the 10th year. 

If they reach the ten year mark, two things occur.
      1- if there is no recurrence, aka "NED (no evidence of disease)", they are considered cured. 
      2- the time between appointments for ongoing is decreased to once every 5 years. 

As of this point, I am cancer free. 
      I am acutely aware of the precarious and uncertain nature of this disease. 
      I cannot tell you how many friends and family members, and acquaintances have lived for only days, to months, to even a few years with their cancer, gone into remission, and had their cancer return with a vengeance, killing them swiftly. 

All that aside….. according to Medical science, I am now considered "cured", and will now only see my oncologist every 5 years, probably get PET scans, or at least blood tests. 

I am presently about as ecstatic as I can be, because while my life is still in a precarious state– the intensity is feeling lifted. I suppose the title of the movie– Waiting to Exhale– applies here as an expression of how I've felt. I.e., I can exhale now. 

I'm posting this as an update. I was here last on September 13-14, 2013. I was excited then, and even more so today. 
      I hope that all of you hold on to the Hope that God, in Jesus, gives. 
      I saw an article yesterday, from Noetic.org. It was on unexpected remissions, and published back in 2011. 
      I don't want to give false hope, because I believe the only real, lasting hope is found in Jesus Christ. I.e., even if we do die, we immediately enter God's Kingdom, and are in paradise for an eternity (2 Cor. 5:3-8). I do however want to say– there is Hope. 
      So….
      Hi. I am still alive. 10 years since last reccurence, 26-1/2 years since onset, 16-3/4 years since diagnosis. 
    Viewing 26 reply threads
    • Replies
        JoshF
        Participant

Amen and God bless you!!

JoshF
          Participant

Amen and God bless you!!

JoshF
            Participant

Amen and God bless you!!

BrianP
              Participant

Thanks for posting Steve.  I read your profile and that is one heck of a story you have.  Congratulations on 10 years NED.  Hope you continue to have a blessed life.

Brian

BrianP
                Participant

Thanks for posting Steve.  I read your profile and that is one heck of a story you have.  Congratulations on 10 years NED.  Hope you continue to have a blessed life.

Brian

BrianP
                  Participant

Brian

Jewel
                    Participant

These stories give us all such hope. Fantastic news!!!!

Jewel

Jewel
                      Participant

Jewel

Jewel
                        Participant

Jewel

Maureen038
                            Participant

Thanks for posting such amazing news!! It gives all of us hope!! Enjoy your life!!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                              Participant

Thanks for posting such amazing news!! It gives all of us hope!! Enjoy your life!!!

Maureen

Maureen038
                                Participant

Maureen

kpcollins31
                                Participant

Congratulations, Steve. What a fantastic milestone. Gives hope to all of us.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                  Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                    Participant

Kevin

Brendan
                                        Participant

Great news, Steve.  Thank you for sharing-you give us all hope.  God Bless.

Brendan

Brendan
                                          Participant

Brendan

Brendan
                                            Participant

Brendan

Rebecca and Bob
                                            Participant

Steve,

Amazing. I remember reading your profile back when my husband was first diagnosed.  Thank you for sharing your story, it gives everyone hope.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                              Participant

Steve,

Amazing. I remember reading your profile back when my husband was first diagnosed.  Thank you for sharing your story, it gives everyone hope.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                                                Participant

Steve,

Rebecca

Yvonne.D
                                                  Participant
                                                    Thank you very much for sharing his wonderful news! God bless Steve!
                                                    Yvonne.D
                                                    Participant
                                                      Yvonne.D
                                                      Participant
                                                        POW
                                                        Participant

Wow! "Melanoma" and "cured"– I don't think I've ever seen those two words in the same sentence before. Good for you! And thank you for taking the time to share your experience and provide hope and encouragement to other melanoma warriors.

POW
                                                          Participant

Wow! "Melanoma" and "cured"– I don't think I've ever seen those two words in the same sentence before. Good for you! And thank you for taking the time to share your experience and provide hope and encouragement to other melanoma warriors.

POW
                                                            Participant

KYDonna
                                                              Participant

Steve-

So happy for you!! Your news gives me great hope-my husband is fighting to become a long-term survivor, too! 

KYDonna
                                                                Participant

Steve-

So happy for you!! Your news gives me great hope-my husband is fighting to become a long-term survivor, too! 

KYDonna
                                                                  Participant

Steve-

KYDonna
                                                                    Participant

Steve-

KYDonna
                                                                      Participant

Steve-

KYDonna
                                                                        Participant

Steve-

Viewing 26 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics