The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Today is supposed to be the day

Forums General Melanoma Community Today is supposed to be the day

Participant

After my sentinel node bx and right inguinal bx Jan 15, I was first told… Thurs (3 days), got a call Friday from Doc who apologized saying results wont be in til Mond or Tues… ok.. Monday obviously came and went.. soooo…. Today WILL be the day… funny how my life is on hold till then ie planning what to do next..

I will update once I know… Tx all for  being here..

Dessie

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Tracyyy
        Participant

Dessie, good luck to you with the SLNB! Hope it will be negative. Keep us posted. Completely understand what it feels like when your life is on hold – ours is too as we are waiting for my mum's PET scan scheduled for 02/18 and then start treatment.

dessie
            Participant

yikes … just phoned the Dr and they are now telling me they are sending this out for a "special staining" and it could be 2-3 weeks total before we know anything!!  Talk about roller coaster emotions!

At least I am staying busy helping others.  This flu season is brutal all. Despite teh vaccination this year only being 30% effective, I still recommend it…

Will keep the faith and update often.

Dessie 

MichelleRHG
              Participant
                I hate that you have to wait longer! It is sooooo hard waiting for results. I have no tips about how to make the wait easier but know I am thinking about you. 🙂
                dessie
                Participant

tx Michelle appreciate it..

Janner
                  Participant

Now you may better understand the comments earlier about phone calls.  If your doc has the results but then makes you wait say… 2 days for an appointment…. would you prefer to wait 2 more days for the results and talk in person or get that phone call immediately followed up by an office visit?  I prefer the latter.  It gives me a little time to process the information (get over immediate shock) and then I can assemble questions so I am better able to ask meaningful questions to my doc.  Just one perspective…

dessie
                    Participant

Definitley I agree..I have rethought the  whole phone thing.. and the info I usually discuss in person are Cologuard results, mammogram results.. but I will already start the ball rolling with consultations for colonoscopy , further work up for mammograms ie u/s or MRI or bx.  I call and ask patients to set up an appt that i want to disucss the results and i have already put the ball in motion .. The patient's consults or further testing is not delayed even if they cant come in they get what they need.. If a phone call is necessary it would happen… i just perfer not to .. but  in some cases as I see now. its necessary.. point well taken.

I have never had to deal with a melanoma result..and to my dermatologist credit in hindsight, she had already put the consult to the surgeon in play.  ( just as I had for u/s , bx, consults for my patients) I dont want people thinking that i delay care of my patients… i dont … 

yea sitting on the other side is def an eye opener!!   and  a tough lesson learned..  Now the waiting!!

Dessie

Janner
                      Participant

I wasn't trying to imply you delayed care at all.  Just trying to let you see it from a different perspective – the waiting warrior.   yescool Waiting sucks!  Hope your results are "negative"!!!

dessie
                        Participant

No and I shouldnt be so sensitive.. i know i do the best i can for my patients.. being "on the other side" sure puts a lot more things in perspective… and yes waiting sucks big time… 

will update once i find out…

jrtufo
                        Participant

Oh gosh-isn't waiting the worst!  I'm playing that waiting game right now and every time the phone rings I take a deep breath…you know what I mean!  Thank you so much for promoting Flu vaccine.  I can't believe how many people ignor this easy to do preventative measure.  And the hand washing:)  Hope your wait means more consise information.

dessie
                            Participant

Yes waiting is no fun.. helpless feeling..  tx for the kind words..

Viewing 1 reply thread
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics