The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

To Leukine or Not to Leukine?

Forums General Melanoma Community To Leukine or Not to Leukine?

Participant

Hi Everyone,

I had 2 more surgeries this summer because of intransits/satellites.  I will be restaged in a few weeks.  I'm not sure if I'll stay at 3C or move to 4…time will tell.  I think I will be doing a little radiation in the next few weeks.

I am supposedly NED (although no recent PET), so there is not much out there for treatment.  My one oncologist wants me to do Leukine.  My other oncologist says it's nothing more than snake oil and I should just watch and wait.  I am so confused!

Hi Everyone,

I had 2 more surgeries this summer because of intransits/satellites.  I will be restaged in a few weeks.  I'm not sure if I'll stay at 3C or move to 4…time will tell.  I think I will be doing a little radiation in the next few weeks.

I am supposedly NED (although no recent PET), so there is not much out there for treatment.  My one oncologist wants me to do Leukine.  My other oncologist says it's nothing more than snake oil and I should just watch and wait.  I am so confused!

If any of you have any information or experiences to share about Leukine, I would be truly grateful.  As always, I look to my MPIP family for real advice.

Thanking you in advance for any help you can offer.  Additionally, let's keep working together to kill the beast!

Tricia 

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        sharmon
        Participant

My husband did Leukine in 08.  He was told originally he would be on it for 2 years.  At the end of one year he was removed from the treatment.  Dr Kendra stated there was no benefit or difference between one and two year treatment.  He remainded NED while on the treatment and 4 months after he stopped the treatment he was full of tumors in his lungs.  I have always felt in my gut that it was the leukine  that kept his immune system working.  It has since been rethought and there are patients on it for 3 years or longer.  Dr Spiter in California is the expert.  We didn't want to do nothing. 

sharmon
          Participant

My husband did Leukine in 08.  He was told originally he would be on it for 2 years.  At the end of one year he was removed from the treatment.  Dr Kendra stated there was no benefit or difference between one and two year treatment.  He remainded NED while on the treatment and 4 months after he stopped the treatment he was full of tumors in his lungs.  I have always felt in my gut that it was the leukine  that kept his immune system working.  It has since been rethought and there are patients on it for 3 years or longer.  Dr Spiter in California is the expert.  We didn't want to do nothing. 

triciad
              Participant

Thank you so much for your reply.  I think my doctor said one year, but I will ask about the extended time benefit.  Best of luck to you and your husband.

Tricia

triciad
                Participant

Thank you so much for your reply.  I think my doctor said one year, but I will ask about the extended time benefit.  Best of luck to you and your husband.

Tricia

triciad
                  Participant

Tricia

browneyesangelreba
                    Participant

Hello, my husband has Melanoma stage IV.  He was first diganose Feb 15, 2012. At that time he had a mole that was bleeding and was removed and sent for test.  Two days after it being removed he had a knot on the right side of the neck.  The test came back regarding his back and it was Stage III Melanomia.  A PET scan was done and the knot was cancer as well.  AT the time they did surgery on the back and next.  He had radiation and was done in August. The Aug scan was good and the Nov scan was good.  January 2013 scan showed something on the lung.  They didnt believe it was cancer but since it  grow from Aug and Nov scan (at that time was a small dot and they were not concern). And also there were lesions on the spleen and we was never told about that until later.  The surgeron said they are not sure if its cancer that we can wait until next scan or remove it, she advised us she would remove it so we agreed.  Sugery was done and  was tested and it was Melanomia.  Now April its in the lower left lung and still shows lesion on the spleen.  They are saying it doesnt look like melanomia but neither did the right lung and it was.  I requested to have it removed and they said they cant keep operating on him because it keeps coming back. They want my husband to take Lukine.  We are waiting now on that.  My question is.. what will this Lukine do.. will it slow it down, will it shrink what is there?  No one will tell me what to expect with him in this stage.. How long he has, what do they think is next?  I love this hosptial and the dr. are great.

With him being in this stage and it coming back so fast I want to know what to expect.  Can anyone help?

browneyesangelreba
                      Participant

Hello, my husband has Melanoma stage IV.  He was first diganose Feb 15, 2012. At that time he had a mole that was bleeding and was removed and sent for test.  Two days after it being removed he had a knot on the right side of the neck.  The test came back regarding his back and it was Stage III Melanomia.  A PET scan was done and the knot was cancer as well.  AT the time they did surgery on the back and next.  He had radiation and was done in August. The Aug scan was good and the Nov scan was good.  January 2013 scan showed something on the lung.  They didnt believe it was cancer but since it  grow from Aug and Nov scan (at that time was a small dot and they were not concern). And also there were lesions on the spleen and we was never told about that until later.  The surgeron said they are not sure if its cancer that we can wait until next scan or remove it, she advised us she would remove it so we agreed.  Sugery was done and  was tested and it was Melanomia.  Now April its in the lower left lung and still shows lesion on the spleen.  They are saying it doesnt look like melanomia but neither did the right lung and it was.  I requested to have it removed and they said they cant keep operating on him because it keeps coming back. They want my husband to take Lukine.  We are waiting now on that.  My question is.. what will this Lukine do.. will it slow it down, will it shrink what is there?  No one will tell me what to expect with him in this stage.. How long he has, what do they think is next?  I love this hosptial and the dr. are great.

With him being in this stage and it coming back so fast I want to know what to expect.  Can anyone help?

browneyesangelreba
                        Participant

browneyesangelreba
                          Participant

browneyesangelreba
                            Participant

browneyesangelreba
                              Participant

sharmon
                              Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                Participant

I did 3 years of Leukine after being diagnosed Stage 4 in 2000 (met in lung, surgically removed).  The melanoma returned in my bones in 2011 – but did the Leukine help and delay the recurrence?  We'll never know….

Like so much else with this disease, it's all a crapshoot.

Best wishes,

Harry

triciad
                                    Participant

Harry, 

I just read your profile, and WOW!!!!  If Leukine can give me 11 years…I'll take it!  Thanks so much for your encouraging post! May your success continue forever!

Tricia

triciad
                                      Participant

Harry, 

I just read your profile, and WOW!!!!  If Leukine can give me 11 years…I'll take it!  Thanks so much for your encouraging post! May your success continue forever!

Tricia

triciad
                                        Participant

Harry, 

Tricia

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                        Participant

I did 3 years of Leukine after being diagnosed Stage 4 in 2000 (met in lung, surgically removed).  The melanoma returned in my bones in 2011 – but did the Leukine help and delay the recurrence?  We'll never know….

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                          Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Ann from Iowa
                                            Participant

You can read about my husband and his nodular melanoma on my profile but…

He did the year Leukine and at this point is NED almost 2 years since his treatment ended.  His came back in the lymph node under his arm, 5 cm. with extranodal extension so it was pretty serious 18 months after his first diagnosis.   He had radiation to axilla area and began the Leukine.  We feel for him anyway it was a good choice over interferon.  We also have a friend who has been Stage IV for 10 years and was treated at the Mayo Clinic with a clinical trial that included Leukine in its formula.  She also is NED.  So we do feel for at least some people it can be successful.  Good luck on your decision. 

Ann from Iowa
                                              Participant

He did the year Leukine and at this point is NED almost 2 years since his treatment ended.  His came back in the lymph node under his arm, 5 cm. with extranodal extension so it was pretty serious 18 months after his first diagnosis.   He had radiation to axilla area and began the Leukine.  We feel for him anyway it was a good choice over interferon.  We also have a friend who has been Stage IV for 10 years and was treated at the Mayo Clinic with a clinical trial that included Leukine in its formula.  She also is NED.  So we do feel for at least some people it can be successful.  Good luck on your decision. 

Ann from Iowa
                                                Participant

killmel
                                                  Participant

Hi

I was stage 1b and did leukine for 9 month. I stopped taking leukine when I got my recurrence. I have had 3 recurrences since taking leukine

Bottomline, every treatment is a "crap shoot", working for some & not others.

The results of other people taking leukine has no bearing if it will work for you. You need to make the decision for yourself. 

Good Luck,

Mary

killmel
                                                    Participant

Hi

I was stage 1b and did leukine for 9 month. I stopped taking leukine when I got my recurrence. I have had 3 recurrences since taking leukine

The results of other people taking leukine has no bearing if it will work for you. You need to make the decision for yourself. 

Good Luck,

Mary

killmel
                                                      Participant

Hi

Good Luck,

Mary

Julie in SoCal
                                                        Participant

Hi Tricia,

I finished a year of Leukine 3 years ago and haven't had a recurrence.  I found the treatment fairly easy.  Towards the end of a 14 day cycle my legs and joints would hurt, and sometimes I would have a headache and feel crummy, but it didn't stop me from doing anything I really wanted to do. I can't say it (or the other treatment besides surgery) has kept me NED, but I'm glad I've done it.

A now long gone MPIPer gave me the advice to

1) do my research,

2) question my doctor,

3) make a decision and go for it.

4) Don't' look back and second guess yourself.

You're long down this list yourself!

Blessings,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                          Participant

Hi Tricia,

I finished a year of Leukine 3 years ago and haven't had a recurrence.  I found the treatment fairly easy.  Towards the end of a 14 day cycle my legs and joints would hurt, and sometimes I would have a headache and feel crummy, but it didn't stop me from doing anything I really wanted to do. I can't say it (or the other treatment besides surgery) has kept me NED, but I'm glad I've done it.

1) do my research,

2) question my doctor,

Blessings,

Julie

Vermont_Donna
                                                              Participant

Hi,

I did about 7 or 8 months of Leukine and worked full time. I had a re-occurence and my oncologist had me stop and I moved on to another treatment (isolated limb perfusion or radiation, I forget which, see my profile). I believe that every treatment I have done has bought me time until the next well researched treatment seemed reasonable to do. Please review my profile for more details as it has been several years now and I am forgetting some of the earlier treatment side effects. I was never comfortable doing "nothing" and something that could rev up my immune system seemed like a good idea and I didnt suffer extensively doing the treatment.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                                                Participant

Hi,

I did about 7 or 8 months of Leukine and worked full time. I had a re-occurence and my oncologist had me stop and I moved on to another treatment (isolated limb perfusion or radiation, I forget which, see my profile). I believe that every treatment I have done has bought me time until the next well researched treatment seemed reasonable to do. Please review my profile for more details as it has been several years now and I am forgetting some of the earlier treatment side effects. I was never comfortable doing "nothing" and something that could rev up my immune system seemed like a good idea and I didnt suffer extensively doing the treatment.

Vermont_Donna
                                                                  Participant

Hi,

killmel
                                                                    Participant

HiJulie,

It was so good to see your post. How are you doing? Are you back in the states? Have you seen Dr. O'day at Beverly Hills Cancer Cencer???

Mary

killmel
                                                                      Participant

HiJulie,

It was so good to see your post. How are you doing? Are you back in the states? Have you seen Dr. O'day at Beverly Hills Cancer Cencer???

Mary

Julie in SoCal
                                                                        Participant

Hey Mary,

Yes I'm back in So Cal.  I lurk on the board fairly often.  I like to keep up and see how folks are doing, but don't post often, just when I have something to add. I'm doing well– finishing my dissertation!  3 years ago I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but with lots of grace from the school (regarding timing and deadlines and whatnots) and me feeling great, I think I may finish!  Thanks for asking.

I haven't seen Dr. O'Day. Unfortunately,he doesn't take my insurance any longer.  At my last check up I went back to the Angeles Clinic and saw Dr. Boasberg and he was fine.  Check up was good too, "Perfect!" But for my next check I may need to switch to someone else, though.  The clinic now no longer takes my insurance, and I was left with a hefty bill.  Thankfully they discounted it for me.  Bless them! 

Trust you're well!

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                          Participant

Hey Mary,

Yes I'm back in So Cal.  I lurk on the board fairly often.  I like to keep up and see how folks are doing, but don't post often, just when I have something to add. I'm doing well– finishing my dissertation!  3 years ago I didn't think I'd be able to do it, but with lots of grace from the school (regarding timing and deadlines and whatnots) and me feeling great, I think I may finish!  Thanks for asking.

I haven't seen Dr. O'Day. Unfortunately,he doesn't take my insurance any longer.  At my last check up I went back to the Angeles Clinic and saw Dr. Boasberg and he was fine.  Check up was good too, "Perfect!" But for my next check I may need to switch to someone else, though.  The clinic now no longer takes my insurance, and I was left with a hefty bill.  Thankfully they discounted it for me.  Bless them! 

Trust you're well!

Julie

Julie in SoCal
                                                                            Participant

Hey Mary,

Trust you're well!

Julie

killmel
                                                                              Participant

HiJulie,

Mary

Julie in SoCal
                                                                              Participant

Hi Tricia,

1) do my research,

2) question my doctor,

Blessings,

Julie

triciad
                                                                                Participant

Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences with me regarding Leukine.  I visited with the radiation oncologist yesterday and he said no to more radiation.  Basically, he said that the melanoma was branching out in all directions and to radiate "new" areas would be a waste of time because we know the melanoma cells would still be in the already radiated area.  A lot of tissues needed during the ride home!  So my choice is Leukine or nothing.  I'll keep you all posted.

Again, thanks so much for helping shine some light on the dark times!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                  Participant

Thank you to all of you for sharing your experiences with me regarding Leukine.  I visited with the radiation oncologist yesterday and he said no to more radiation.  Basically, he said that the melanoma was branching out in all directions and to radiate "new" areas would be a waste of time because we know the melanoma cells would still be in the already radiated area.  A lot of tissues needed during the ride home!  So my choice is Leukine or nothing.  I'll keep you all posted.

Tricia

triciad
                                                                                    Participant

Tricia

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics