The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Tiny spot on liver

Forums General Melanoma Community Tiny spot on liver

Participant

I posted yesterday abt a spot near my kidney.  That was incorrect – it's a sub cm spot on my liver.  I am just terrified that it as spread.  I just hit my 2 year mark.  This appointment put 26 months- so I was becoming confident- now I'm back to fear.  I'm praying this is nothing next time I get scans.  Could that be???

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Liver cysts and liver hemangiomas are EXTREMELY common and the most likely cause.  Obviously you can't rule out melanoma but I bet you'll find many here with cysts/hemangiomas.  Keep breathing….

Janner
          Participant

Liver cysts and liver hemangiomas are EXTREMELY common and the most likely cause.  Obviously you can't rule out melanoma but I bet you'll find many here with cysts/hemangiomas.  Keep breathing….

Janner
            Participant

jennunicorn
              Participant

I know the first instict is to freak out. At this point, it is too small for them to investigate what the spot is, and I am assuming will be on watch for your next scan in 3 months? Without being able to know for sure right now what it is, stressing and creating a lot of anxiety for yourself isn't going to help. I know it is easier said than done. Many on here and other cancer patients could tell you that over the course of getting many scans, there are a lot of times where little spots pop up and you have freak out moments and then at the next scan it's gone, or it just stays there and never grows or does anything meaning it's nothing too. My last scan showed a small spot on my lung, the logical side of my brain tells me, "lung spots can show up on healthy people, it could easily be nothing, don't worry until worry is warranted". Then the illogical side of my brain says, "AHHHH… WHAT IF IT IS MELANOMA, WHAT IF I AM GOING TO BE STAGE 4, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!". But, sometimes we have to bring our minds down from the madness and reassure ourselves that at this point in time we feel good, we look good, and for today I am as healthy as I can be right now.

I hope you can find some peace and relief from the stress,

All the best,

jennunicorn
                Participant

I know the first instict is to freak out. At this point, it is too small for them to investigate what the spot is, and I am assuming will be on watch for your next scan in 3 months? Without being able to know for sure right now what it is, stressing and creating a lot of anxiety for yourself isn't going to help. I know it is easier said than done. Many on here and other cancer patients could tell you that over the course of getting many scans, there are a lot of times where little spots pop up and you have freak out moments and then at the next scan it's gone, or it just stays there and never grows or does anything meaning it's nothing too. My last scan showed a small spot on my lung, the logical side of my brain tells me, "lung spots can show up on healthy people, it could easily be nothing, don't worry until worry is warranted". Then the illogical side of my brain says, "AHHHH… WHAT IF IT IS MELANOMA, WHAT IF I AM GOING TO BE STAGE 4, WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!". But, sometimes we have to bring our minds down from the madness and reassure ourselves that at this point in time we feel good, we look good, and for today I am as healthy as I can be right now.

All the best,

jennunicorn
                  Participant

All the best,

Polymath
                    Participant

Hello Happy Girl,

My best advice is to stay happy.  There is absolutely no upside to stress, and the worry that shows on your face just scares everyone around you and feeds the vicious cycle.  Early in my stage IV diagnosis spots on my liver were noted in CT and thought to be metastatic lesions.  Over the months, and continuous scans, it was realized they were cysts, which as Janner noted are quite common.  Over time, it will be noted they remain unchanged, and when studying the scans closely (I get a copy of all mine to view at home) they appear a slightly different color than the tumors. For now, there is no good that will come from worry.  Your next scan will likely reveal much more.

Gary

Polymath
                      Participant

Hello Happy Girl,

My best advice is to stay happy.  There is absolutely no upside to stress, and the worry that shows on your face just scares everyone around you and feeds the vicious cycle.  Early in my stage IV diagnosis spots on my liver were noted in CT and thought to be metastatic lesions.  Over the months, and continuous scans, it was realized they were cysts, which as Janner noted are quite common.  Over time, it will be noted they remain unchanged, and when studying the scans closely (I get a copy of all mine to view at home) they appear a slightly different color than the tumors. For now, there is no good that will come from worry.  Your next scan will likely reveal much more.

Gary

Polymath
                        Participant

Hello Happy Girl,

Gary

Jennab0525
                          Participant

Hi Happy Girl,

I have a spot on my liver too (I've had it since I was diagnosed in October) and it is a benign hemangioma. I agree with Janner they are very common. It shows up on every scan and it has stayed the same size the whole time. My Onc said there is nothing to worry about. Some people are born with them and some develop over time but they definitely not cancer! I also agree with Jenn that you should not panic until you know for certain what it is. 

Try to stay positive!! I'm sure it's nothing!!!

Jenna

Jennab0525
                            Participant

Hi Happy Girl,

I have a spot on my liver too (I've had it since I was diagnosed in October) and it is a benign hemangioma. I agree with Janner they are very common. It shows up on every scan and it has stayed the same size the whole time. My Onc said there is nothing to worry about. Some people are born with them and some develop over time but they definitely not cancer! I also agree with Jenn that you should not panic until you know for certain what it is. 

Jenna

Jennab0525
                              Participant

Hi Happy Girl,

Jenna

Linny
                                Participant

On the first CT scan after my diagnosis, 2 benign liver cysts were seen. One measured 1.4 cm and the other was 2.4 cm. The doctor who gave me the results reassured me that's exactly what they were because they look different from melanoma lesions.

It sounds like these spots that were seen on your scan were too small for doctors to determine what they were. Since one of mine was 1.4 cm, maybe they need to be 1 cm or greater in order for doctors to see what they are. 

Linny
                                  Participant

On the first CT scan after my diagnosis, 2 benign liver cysts were seen. One measured 1.4 cm and the other was 2.4 cm. The doctor who gave me the results reassured me that's exactly what they were because they look different from melanoma lesions.

It sounds like these spots that were seen on your scan were too small for doctors to determine what they were. Since one of mine was 1.4 cm, maybe they need to be 1 cm or greater in order for doctors to see what they are. 

Linny
                                    Participant

keepthefaith11
                                      Participant
                                        My dad had a spot on the liver that was found on the CT scan. He had an MRI and it was nothimg. It is very common so take a deep breath and try not to assume anything. Let us know what happens.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                        Participant
                                          My dad had a spot on the liver that was found on the CT scan. He had an MRI and it was nothimg. It is very common so take a deep breath and try not to assume anything. Let us know what happens.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                          Participant

Annie

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics